April eyed for launch of driving licence points-deduction system

snoop1130

1 hour ago, dinsdale said:

You all seem to have this the wrong way around. How much will it cost to restore my points. No! How much will it cost not to lose points. Tea money is going up. Of course another brainless idea from the empty heads that will go nowhere. Don't train before, train after. Based on USA I guess. Wonder how many points Boss would have lost? Ah! Silly me. None. This will not apply to the rich.

Maybe right but I gather that they will use the CCTV to have the offense recorded and the bill sent directly to the owner of the vehicle. Maybe not as sophisticated a system as in Europe (sorry, I do not know about other areas) but pretty sure they will do that.

• Confused 2

8 hours ago, dinsdale said:

You all seem to have this the wrong way around. How much will it cost to restore my points. No! How much will it cost not to lose points. Tea money is going up. Of course another brainless idea from the empty heads that will go nowhere. Don't train before, train after. Based on USA I guess. Wonder how many points Boss would have lost? Ah! Silly me. None. This will not apply to the rich.

Yes; just one more bargaining tool at the roadside checkpoints. "No Helmet" will go from 50 to 100 baht!

• Like 2

1. Driving with no lights on motor bike 1 point. 

2.A load of water bottles higher then 3 meters 3 points. 

3.Speeding over 140 km 10 points 

4.Farang honking horn 50 points 

5. More then four buffaloos 3 points. 

6 Mercedes speeding with private plates Nil points. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

How much do I need to pay in order to put the points back on my license after they take them away.  Do I get points added when they scan my QR code, or do I earn points for every ticket paid.  Just a little confused, is this like a demerit system, and will they make me a road monitor for the day once I loose the first 100 points, or will they suspend my license and stop me from driving, which does not work for the general public anyways as most drive unlicensed to begin with...

20,000 baht for farrang.2000 baht for thai.Bribe at road side for farrang 1,500, 300 for thai.And if you are on motorbike.remember you are going to amass points for no helmet even if you are wearing one.So bike bribe will now increase to 500 for farrang ,100 for thai.

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

April eyed for launch of driving licence points-deduction system

By The Nation

800_c7725fef6d297c2.jpg

Thailand’s delayed points-deduction system for driving licences should finally be launched in April, said the Department of Land Transport (DLT) on Tuesday.

Drivers will start with 100 points on their licence, with deductions varying from 5 points to 35 points according to the seriousness of the traffic offence.

The licence will be suspended when points fall to 50 or below. Drivers must then undergo 2-5 hours of training per offence to restore their points and revalidate their licences.

However, the new system has sparked concern that driver-training facilities will be overwhelmed by demand from drivers who have had their licence suspended.

A 12-point demerit system was hailed as a potential cure for Thailand’s road carnage ahead of its original launch date in December 2019, but has been shelved for more than a year.

The new 100-point system is scheduled for launch on April 1.

However, transport operators have asked the DLT to postpone the measure for another year, so they can prepare and also recover from the impact of Covid-19 on goods traffic and passenger numbers.

DLT director-general Chirute Visalachitra said a meeting had been held to clarify the new driving points system for bus and truck operators.

After gathering public opinion, DLT expects to run driver-training courses from April 1 onward.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30402198

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2021-02-03

+Still doesn't tell how these points will be applied and by whom. Everyone knows nearly all major junctions are abused by people jumping the lights, playing the very dangerous "i can make it" game with no regards to other road users. If the Police cant be bothered to police those known hot spots and fine the offenders (probably 100 offenders + a day) How are they going to invoke a points system? This is something that's invoked once you have some sort of regulated driving standards which just don't exist in Pattaya. Bangkok have it locked down more with greater police presents at know hot spots and it great to see the majority of road users obeying the lights knowing full well a cop will jump out and nab them if they don't. Points and fine would work then but not under the current free for all. Its not rocket science and it works in the majority of countries with enforced points and fines so why not here. Think of the revenue...

How many people actually drive without a license if police actually checked this when they catch nearly everyone when they check for motor tax I expect they would find nearly everyone at least outside of Bangkok does not have a driving license.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1