Flat floor scooters vs PCX style

kiwisr

On 2/6/2021 at 3:41 AM, kiwisr said:

I’m aware of the obvious physical differences between flat floor, step through scooters like the Honda Click, but why would you spend the extra on something like a PCX?

-Less manoueverable

-Heavier

-More expensive

-Less practical (less storage, no bag hooks, no floor space)

-In some cases slower (a Suzuki Address 110 is actually faster than no the the PCX and NMAX)

I’m interested to hear why people went for these low capacity maxi-scooters over the smaller ones.

And maybe some experienced riders can explain, does having the ‘frame’ between your legs mean better ability to control the bike through corners etc.

7 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I've had bigger bikes in the UK, more normal there and for intercity travel. In Thailand often a scooter is more practical around town, simple as that, but I appreciate due to ego people want bigger bikes

Scooters, especially the step through ones allow for more ‘cooling airflow’ - the guys riding those can open their legs slightly and enjoy the breeze on their vagina !!!!! :1zgarz5: (I know, I know... old joke).

Realistically - getting about town on any scooter with decent under-seat storage can’t be beat...

The only larger motorcycle which could come close is the Honda NC700X (which can fit a helmet in a storage area where the fuel tank usually is), its also fully automatic - that said, the larger motorcycle cannot ‘jostle’ through traffic as easily its less manoeuvrable in tight spots. 

A top-box ruins the look of any larger motorcycle, unless someone is going for the full ADV look.

A motorcycle without storage is generally pretty useless around town and for nipping to the shops etc - wearing a back pack gets tiresome. 

I have had a couple of Clicks for years, since whenever it was they came out, but haven't ridden the latest model They're just so fast away from the lights, highly manoueverable in traffic, just perfect in the city, are so nimble to get you out of trouble, to avoid all the hazards really quickly and I've also been on trips of over 300Kms in a day (I know, I must have masochistic tendencies!). I wouldn't consider buying one if I was constantly going inter-city, but I most certainly wouldn't buy a PCX for that either. For me, the Click is just pure simplicity, ease of service/maintenance, park on a sixpence, carry shedloads of stuff, very economical and almost indestructable in a way (I know the Waves and Dreams are probably better in this respect)

In Thailand, I think the retired foreigner PCX owner is more about the seat comfort and elevated view perhaps, with a larger disposable income, but probably isn't a real biker......

Quite amusing to observe the 'ego' debate and if I had to err on any point of view, 'yes' IMO there is defo an ego element to it in Thailand, especially for foreigners under the age of 40 say..! The look and the raised ride position does say 'look at me' as opposed to the 'just get on about your business incognito approach' of the Click. I have also known many foreigners who have owned either one, but interestingly, never both. Regarding 'egos'......over the years I have met many people with over inflated egos that never realize they have them and even when told, don't get it.......!!

I've ridden all sorts of bikes over 35 years, 7 of those here.

Although the Clicks are great for carrying stuff they are also uncomfortable, heavy for the type and handle poorly on bad surfaces. Skinny wheels, flex in the frame and the "granny" seating position are not nice.

The Yammy equivalent gtx is a little lighter and slightly more nimble. Of the step through type the Grand Filano is the best compromise.

For riding comfort I prefer the PCX/N-Max, still agile around town, more stable, broader tyres plus a smidge more power for getting away from potential sticky moments and much smoother at speed.

Half way between the two are the semi automatic Waves and similar. Amazing value for what you get, if looked after or even abused for that matter, they go on forever and are much more fun than the step through.

For me, we have a Wave, a N-max and planning to get a lower capacity "proper" bike when the new models come through e.g. if we get the CB350H, or RE 350 Interceptor or maybe the existing RE Meteor...

• Like 2

There are a few mentions of the seat hump stopping larger riders getting into a comfortable position.  I had my PCX seat remodelled and recovered for ฿800 to remove the hump and level the seat.  Most upholsterers will do that, and those who won't will point you at someone who will.  Money well spent, being able to sit just a couple of inches further back was great.

• Like 1

My first bike was a Honda Click, when it was time to treat myself to a new one the last bike I considered was a PCX then it was just a 125.

After looking at everything in the market including a new Click, I though about all the stuff that was listed at the showroom I told the girl if I could put it on the main kick stand I would consider it. To my surprise without much effort it was just as easy as my click.

Next day I decided to rent one you can't just sit on one for a few seconds and make a final decision. For the day renting I put easily 100 KM all the stuff about can't get through traffic nonsense yes it is a bit heavier but what I found important the frame design suspension handling was much better since the front doesn't float like the click reason the gas tank is in the front or middle whereas the click is under the seat in the back.  The bigger tires more stable along with the added weight much more secure at higher speed and on the Highway.

When it comes to storage with the PCX no comparison to the click much larger. The day I purchased the PCX I went to one of the after market stores got a better pair of rear gas shocks, as for the seat I really hated it like it flat for 400 baht I was told to take a seat shop told them what I wanted 15 minutes later I had what I wanted. Also for 600 baht got two custom hooks mounted on the handle bar!

In 2012-13 the cost was 88,000 sure today 98 plus has me thinking? my son use to say that is an old man bikes now when I wake up I ask where is my bike? In 8 years I put in 96,000 KM, started to burn oil, had the bike engine rebuilt for 4000 baht bike runs like new again just clocked another 10,000 KM. Honda great bike!

• Like 2

I prefer the flat floor scooters (Yamaha TTX in Bangkok and SYM Symphony in my country.

The main reason is that with the flat space in front of me and the trunk behind me, the scooter is a mini pickup for carrying shopping and stuff.

• Like 1

I had a PCX with fat tyres - easy to handle not too heavy for a rider - long journeys 100km at a time, have a break then on the road again - in 9 years in LOS only 1 accident - not my fault but according to Thai law and their rules was my fault so paid up 66% discount on my penalty / compensation 

Love PCX 

When I first visited Thailand in 2009, I rented a Honda 110cc Airblade. Impressed with its under seat storage, I bought one  when I retired to Chiang Mai in 2011. Over the years since, I found that going up some steeper hills the 110cc was having issues (completely unrelated to my weight gain, I am sure). So, traded it in for a 155cc Yamaha Ayrox and have the under seat storage and no issues on hills. I did add a box on the back to have capacity for market purchases. Oh, when I bought 150cc PCX was going for 90k baht. 155cc Ayrox was 76k baht. 5’5”” in my 74 years now so being able to reach the street at traffic signals was important! Yep, most females here are just the right size!

Edited by wwest5829

For getting back to topic; Flat floor type can have some advantages. One time the truck was getting fixed after a fender bender and my sons school bag could not be transported safely on the pcx so had to use wife's Filano, bag sitting on the floor while I had all sorts of problems parking my size 11 feet, 555. 

Yes bikes for the roads and scooters for city, done that for some years now and that works for me.

Regarding scooters for touring, I find the 150cc scooters lacking power on the highways, can't accelerate out of trouble.

I would however like to try the Forza350 are see how its holding up out on the highways, if it can cruise at around 120 and still have a bit of spare power then its quite an intriguing option because there are some advantages; Large storage under the seat and enclosed belt-drive & adjustable windscreen normally only seen on large expensive touring bikes. 

I often see those 300cc scooters riding very fast when out riding outside Pattaya

• Like 1

Scuba Scuba 3 has it in one.  Definately the Honda Click is much easier and to use than the PCX.  I much prefer the flat floor.  You are more likely to overbalance getting on and off the PCX.  These machines aren't made for being dropped on the floor, neither is the rider particularly if he is well nourished.

9 hours ago, DefaultName said:

There are a few mentions of the seat hump stopping larger riders getting into a comfortable position.  I had my PCX seat remodelled and recovered for ฿800 to remove the hump and level the seat.  Most upholsterers will do that, and those who won't will point you at someone who will.  Money well spent, being able to sit just a couple of inches further back was great.

i have done it in the past, but the result was ugly and

short people couldnt drive it because i had to raise

the front of the seat to get it leveled.

all in all pcx/nmax is tight as is but  other scooters

are way too small to even drive,

and i test sat on most of them

Edited by scammed

9 hours ago, bojo said:

I have had a couple of Clicks for years, since whenever it was they came out, but haven't ridden the latest model They're just so fast away from the lights, highly manoueverable in traffic, just perfect in the city, are so nimble to get you out of trouble, to avoid all the hazards really quickly and I've also been on trips of over 300Kms in a day (I know, I must have masochistic tendencies!).

Try 1.500 km at a stretch (Chiang Mai to Patong); then, you can talk about masochistic tendencies.

I have ridden quite a lot of long trips on my Honda Click, and I would definitely feel locked in if I didn't have the flat floor to change the position of my feet.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, farang51 said:

26 hours. I only stopped for gas and one break for about an hour - the morning dew settled on my glasses; thus, I had to wait for sunrise before continuing.

Impressive...........looks like you may have laid down the gauntlet for a new thread............

• Like 1

15 hours ago, cucme said:

A flat floor bike can be great to transport gas bottles, but that's about it. Can't do that with my Nmax.

Otherwise the Nmax is a really great bike, nice acceleration, great handling, eats about 2L / 100km on average, ABS, intelligent fuel injection, 2 helmets under the seat.

For the PCX luggage hooks are available, for the Nmax not.

His channel has a few useful videos. I prefer the NMAX over the PCX, just looks a bit better

• Thanks 1

On 2/7/2021 at 1:55 PM, alx123 said:

Not to <deleted> on anyone's choice of bike, I think it's more about preference. 

I find Click to be so light, especially at the front end, that I find running at a bit higher speed less stable. 

PCX ain't really that much more expensive to maintain than a Click.

My only complain with the PCX is its lack of ABS.  

Honda have just brought one out. S***ty colours though IMHO.

They have three new models: Standard, one with ABS, and a hybrid one. which has less space under the seat due to the extra battery.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2021 at 8:59 AM, transam said:

Had a Click, to light at the front, then an Airblade, I liked it, then a PCX, was OK, but to me the tyres were to thin and did not absorb road "shock", my back didn't like it, we also at the same time had a Yamaha Grand Filano, that was OK.

Sold those and bought the new Yamaha Grand Filano Hybrid ABS, lovely bike, very quiet, comfortable (nice fat tyres), big seat, LED lights, no ignition key (high tech), big under seat storage, fuel filler not under the seat, quick. Nice Scooter...:thumbsup:

Grand-Filano-Hybrid-ABS-2020-2.png.44c414830e870a70346920ed14520f51.png

I have a grand Filano and a Freego and they are both very good machines, especially the storage the length of the seat as the fuel filler is up front.

The longest journey they do is to the local town, 13kms away so absolutely no need for anything bigger.

12 hours ago, scammed said:

i have done it in the past, but the result was ugly and

short people couldnt drive it because i had to raise

the front of the seat to get it leveled.

all in all pcx/nmax is tight as is but  other scooters

are way too small to even drive,

and i test sat on most of them

I have to agree with the height, the PCX was OK, but I've just had it done to a Forza and it's barely OK for me, I can just get both feet flat on the ground, and I'm 6'3.  I think of it as an anti-theft measure, Thais couldn't ride it.  ????

• Haha 1

On 2/10/2021 at 6:33 AM, phetphet said:

Honda have just brought one out. S***ty colours though IMHO.

They have three new models: Standard, one with ABS, and a hybrid one. which has less space under the seat due to the extra battery.

Still a single channel ABS (front only).