Recommendations for a new, small motorbike?

Saltire

First of all, apart from brand names such as Honda and Yamaha, I know absolutely nothing about motorbikes.

I am cosidering replacing the 2 small motorbikes currently ridden daily by the wifes 2 brothers. One was bought new by the wife around 10 years ago and was never taxed and insured after the first purchase, used just around the village. The other was bought by her brother from a local for 3000 Baht so you can guess how reliable that bargain has turned out to be. Both never go far as we have a shared Hilux, but both bikes are now troublesome. It would be good to have them both taxed and with the at least basic insurance.

The replacements will probably never leave the village (nearest town, and dealer, is an hour away) so just need to be reliable. Mileage not so important I guess.

What would you buy and what should I expect to pay?

Buy Honda Scoopy with the bigger tyre/wheels (not the small tyre), I have had it for years and it never gave me any problems.

You can also put things underneath your seat or you can buy a plastic box and fix it to the back.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks so it's looking like an early favourite is the Honda Wave.

Related question, as neither brother has a licence for motorcycle (one has the car licence) does this mean insurance is void in any accident. regardless of blame?

Asked the wife about his, typical response, 'no one here has a licence' ????

7 hours ago, Saltire said:

Thanks so it's looking like an early favourite is the Honda Wave.

Related question, as neither brother has a licence for motorcycle (one has the car licence) does this mean insurance is void in any accident. regardless of blame?

Asked the wife about his, typical response, 'no one here has a licence' ????

The compulsory insurance doesn't require a driving license. But it only pays for medical costs (up to 30k if at fault, 80k if not at fault) anyway, not for property damage.

• Thanks 1

maybe encourage brothers to learn something of motocy repair/ maintenance or cycle will just keep repeating itself . i'd be

very surprised if new wave > 50k sometimes fat tire bikes are more practical as well????

Edited by cali4995
  • Like 1

OP

If I understand your post correctly; these bikes are strictly for the brothers use and they have shown no concern over the years for such niceties as proper registration, tax or insurance, so why should they now?  Rather than you going to the bother and expense of buying them the bikes, why not just give each of them a budget...10-15K, and let them find their own.  Chances are, they'll find something on the village grapevine for a lot less than you might pay.  Don't hand the money over until you actually see the bike they want to buy.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2021 at 2:49 PM, Peterw42 said:

All bikes require the Por Lor Bor (3rd party person insurance) no exceptions for under 110cc.

About 300 Baht last time.

I have a Honda Wave for circling around the villages.

Wish I had opted for the electric starter. The fun of kick-starting wears out quickly :tongue:

I belong to the minority with insuring/taxing the thing and having a motorcycle license.

Rarely driving out on the major highway.

• Thanks 1