Eight killed in Atlanta-area shooting rampage; suspect arrested

webfact

8 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

From what I have observed in the US, Thais run restaurants or work in them.  The Vietnamese either run a restaurant or a nail salon, while the lao folks work in the restaurant industry in those owned by Chinese, Thai or Vietnamese.  The Koreans and Chinese work in the massage parlor or sex trade as we used to call it the Rub and Tug shops, along with some of the Ukrainians and Russian women who have been trafficked.  That's my view as a former and retired LE Officer. 

Yeah that sounds about right. I wouldn't expect there were many Thais working in those shops.

Of course the irony is that the national wave of anti Asian violence is specifically related to the origin of the pandemic, supposedly China. But to the bright bulb people doing such crimes it's way too much to ask them to tell Asians apart, right?

Edited by Jingthing

5 hours ago, xylophone said:

Just what is it with these straggly, unkempt and ugly beards?

Is it some sort of recognition of belonging to Confederates, or the deep South or whatever?

I did see quite a few of them in the attack on the Capitol a while back – – part of a cult perhaps?

210316232646-robert-aaron-long-booking-photo-031621-large-169.jpg

Muslims, Amish and Sikhs have beards, a beard is not indicative of anything. Massage parlor equals brothel of course so maybe he thought he was doing 'gods work'.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

In the US not all massage parlors are brothels, just certain types and certain locations.

That is very true but there are usually very strong hints in how they present themselves.

For example, this one:

YOUNGS 
ASIAN MASSAGE

Doesn't leave a whole lot to the imagination.

mass.thumb.jpg.cba6880468361a606855ad4655869e1e.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

https://news.gallup.com/poll/337457/new-high-perceptions-china-greatest-enemy.aspx

Forty-five percent of Americans now say China is the greatest enemy of the U.S., more than double the percentage who said so in 2020. That year, Americans were equally as likely to say either China or Russia was the U.S.'s greatest enemy. The current shift coincided with a period when the global economy and human activity were severely impacted by the coronavirus pandemic, which originated in China.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stevenl said:

Your meaning is completely different from the facts. I presume you mean 'not all were Asians'.

That would be true, but with 6 of the 8 being Asians, and the last 4 killed being Asians, it really looks like Asians were the target.

imo this is a direct relation to Trump race baiting (for his constituents loved it at the time). If I was Asian I'd be looking to organize a class action against him, if he hadn't of opened his mouth these folks and others around the country would still be alive. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Emdog said:

I'm sure this will make Thai news. Be more careful than usual if you happen to be white here. It only takes one punk thinking he's giving "payback" to end your life. It's wrong, it's stupid, but perhaps that POS that did the killings justified for same insane reason. It doesn't matter if 99% of Thais might not hold that view. Only takes one. So stay frosty.

I thought of that too. Specifically maybe Americans should be concerned. This seems to be mostly an American phenom. 

• Like 1

In President Joe Biden's recent speech to the nation he strongly and specifically condemned anti-Asian violence. If this does turn out to be confirmed as an anti-Asian hate crime, that issue will be getting much more attention. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Megasin1 said:

I'm not American but looking in at this it seems more definitely sex trade worker orientated than race,  or is that just too simple, possibly the bigger question is why were so many of these masseurs of Asian extract ? 

In the U.S. industries sometimes tend to get Balkanized that way. For examples, Vietnamese nail salons, Cambodians donuts of all things. Jews comedians. Chinese used to be associated with laundries but mostly have moved on from that. But I'm sure there are many more black prostitutes in Atlanta metro than Asian just based on Atlanta being so heavily black. Which is why I mentioned before if this was really about sex, why didn't he target the world famous black strip clubs of Atlanta? 

Edited by Jingthing

13 minutes ago, Megasin1 said:

I'm not American but looking in at this it seems more definitely sex trade worker orientated than race,  or is that just too simple, possibly the bigger question is why were so many of these masseurs of Asian extract ? 

Massage shops with Asians are everywhere and the majority.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Well, this is very complex. I think Americans (of all political leanings) are feeling that China is eating our lunch by working harder and smarter than us. Plus they have the advantage of a one party government not holding back policies going forward. The U.S. isn't the first "empire" to have to deal with realizing that it's losing its hegemony. 

The outrage may be in good part related to the feeling that the US government has caused the problem, then remained clueless for so long (since Bush senior after Tienanmen).

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, from the home of CC said:

imo this is a direct relation to Trump race baiting (for his constituents loved it at the time). If I was Asian I'd be looking to organize a class action against him, if he hadn't of opened his mouth these folks and others around the country would still be alive. 

Such a class action would be summarily dismissed. Trump's demonization of various groups certainly didn't help.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

No, but when he kills six from one particular race it is not an unreasonable conclusion to at least consider!

My thought for motivation went: Robbery, fundamentalist, racial. We will have to see what law enforcement comes up with based on the actual evidence.

8 hours ago, stevenl said:

Nothing to do with being pedantic. You correct someone, rightfully so, with an incorrect statement. Also yours was simply incorrect. 'Not all were Asians' would have been correct.

Well done!! At last someone who understands English. 

• Thanks 1

The lube thickens.

The alleged mass murderer has talked.

He says he's a customer of such places, that he's a sex addict, that it wasn't about race, and he wanted to eliminate the temptation of such places. Hard to know whether to believe him but good material for a religious mania insanity defense. Also he was headed to Florida to probably do more murders.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, ezzra said:

So was he someone who was expecting Happy ending and didn't like what he got? in any case this an abhorrent act of disregards for human life anyway you look at it...

That's what I was thinking.  He'd probably been to all these places before, and was an unsatisfied customer.

I first heard about these incidents before he was caught.  My first thought was if it's an Asian doer it's connected to criminal gangs, if he was non-Asian American then something to do with the epidemic.  Now I'm thinking he may be an incel

Cherokee County Sheriff says shooter "had a bad day" and is a "sex addict".

Just another "troubled" white man. Life has been hard on him so we should empathize with him. Maybe he misplaced his bootstraps?

'Really bad day': Sheriff spokesperson criticized for minimizing alleged Georgia gunman's deadly rampage

In a press conference Wednesday morning, Capt. Jay Baker, a spokesperson for the Cherokee Sheriff's Office, said Long was taken into custody "without incident" and described having "a bad day" as part of the suspect's mindset.

Baker said the Long "understood the gravity of [his crime]. And he was pretty much fed up, had been kind of at the end of his rope, and yesterday was a really bad day for him, and this is what he did."

https://abc13.com/atlanta-spa-shooting-jay-baker-bad-day-cherokee-county-sheriff/10426441/

13 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Nice try but no cigar.  Most people didn't kill another with a bottle of hooch - much less become a serial killer.    Guns kill - and people use them to kill.

You totally didn’t get it! My point wasn’t about what kills what! The point was whenever you make something popular illegal you automatically create a black market for it. The US already have a black market for guns and if they were to prohibit guns that market would expand exponentially, just like the liquor market did after they prohibited booze back in the 1920s! 

• Sad 1