COE insurance still required?

3 minutes ago, 10years said:

With the changes coming next month, what happened to the onerous $100,000 insurance coverage requirement?

Nothing, still a requirement and not sure what's onerous about it.

• Sad 4

After going through the entire COE and ASQ experience I believe two entry requirements will not go away:

1.  Covid 19 RT-PCR tests(before departure and upon arrival)

2. Mandatory Insurance(Health Insurance or travel insurance for Covid 19 related treatment).

People in Quarantine are still testing positive and outbreaks are still occurring in Thailand(latest was in Immigration detention).  

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

I am under 60 and I paid $1500 for my combined OA/COVID 19 Insurance with the $100,000 USD coverage(this is a lot of coverage in Thailand and it is over 3 million baht).  Most health insurance policies do not provide that much coverage.  Keep in mind if you test positive for COVID 19 while in Quarantine you have to spend at least 10 days in a hospital at your expense.  The mandatory insurance should cover this. It does not matter if you have any symptoms or not. This is the rule in LOs. This policy covers me for one year and I find it to be reasonable for the coverage it provides.  I am certain insurance will be mandatory for all who enter or re-enter LOS.  

58 minutes ago, yimlitnoy said:

I am 70 and the cheapest price for this $100,000 coverage is $1,929 USD to be paid every year for staying in Thailand..

Who told you that the 100k insurance was ongoing.

Edited by DrJack54

4 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

I am under 60 and I paid $1500 for my combined OA/COVID 19 Insurance with the $100,000 USD coverage(this is a lot of coverage in Thailand and it is over 3 million baht).  Most health insurance policies do not provide that much coverage.  Keep in mind if you test positive for COVID 19 while in Quarantine you have to spend at least 10 days in a hospital at your expense.  The mandatory insurance should cover this. It does not matter if you have any symptoms or not. This is the rule in LOs. This policy covers me for one year and I find it to be reasonable for the coverage it provides.  I am certain insurance will be mandatory for all who enter or re-enter LOS.  

Just wanted to say, the mandatory insurance will not cover covid (expenses) during the quarantine (first 15 days) period.

There is a 15 day waiting period for covid coverage once you pass immigration/enter Thailand.  This is right on a certain approved Insurance Co's website, right at bottom as part of exclusions, etc..

That is my experience as I have just purchased it, for STV requirement.  But in fact, its worthless for first 15 days after you enter.

I'm not going to mention the Company, as I believe all are doing the same thing.  But its one listed here for official STV:
https://longstay.tgia.org/home/companiesstv

If you pick any you will see, I dont have time to go through each and document, but lets say:
https://www.bangkokinsurance.com/long-stay-visa/

6. Waiting Period:
  6.1 No benefits provided for any sickness which occurs during the first 30 days from the first policy effective date, and

I love these Insurance Companies...

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, sdweller said:

The 100k requirement is silly for those who are vaccinated.  I know some will come back and say "you can still get it when vaccinated!!!"   But that is just fearful bunk... the reality is that those that have one of the 3 main vaccines out there are NOT a threat.  Anyone who knows anything at all about vaccines knows this is the truth.  Time to get over all the irrational fears out there.

It is true that the risk to public health presented by those who have been vaccinated is far lower than for those who have not been vaccinated. However, that risk is not zero, and has not yet been fully calculated. Once the insurance companies can evaluate the risk, Covid-19 insurance will be available cheaply for those who have been vaccinated, but I would expect such insurance to remain a requirement for some time.

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

After going through the entire COE and ASQ experience I believe two entry requirements will not go away:

1.  Covid 19 RT-PCR tests(before departure and upon arrival)

2. Mandatory Insurance(Health Insurance or travel insurance for Covid 19 related treatment).

People in Quarantine are still testing positive and outbreaks are still occurring in Thailand(latest was in Immigration detention).  

So the covid test inside Thailand I see is 5900 baht

What about approx price of insurance for a 60 year old entering on visa exempt, anyone know? 

Edited by madmen

2 hours ago, sirineou said:

The fact that if you are vaccinated you don't really need it.

That's fair enough, but the question asked was about changes next month (i.e. from 1 April) which don't as yet take into account those vaccinated specifically as there is no agreement on a "vaccine passport" to date.

If/when a "vaccine passport" is enacted the requirement for specific covid insurance remains the criticism will be valid but a bit premature at the moment IMO.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Salerno said:

That's fair enough, but the question asked was about changes next month (i.e. from 1 April) which don't as yet take into account those vaccinated specifically as there is no agreement on a "vaccine passport" to date.

If/when a "vaccine passport" is enacted the requirement for specific covid insurance remains the criticism will be valid but a bit premature at the moment IMO.

Both me and my wife have received the first dose of vaccine and will have the second dose April 2 ,at which time we will be issued a vaccine certificate.  , and we are planning  to return to Thailand late late April.

In order to do that, we have to apply to the Thai embassy for permission, and provide the required documents, one of which is a certificate of covid insurance. . Instead of a certificate for covid insurance why cant we provide them with our certificate of vaccination? 

When my wife came to the US from Thailand , she provided the US government with a certificate of her vaccinations, Why cant we do the same to come to Thailand?  

• Like 2

On 3/24/2021 at 7:19 PM, yimlitnoy said:

The price is onerous and outrageous.  I am 70 and the cheapest price for this $100,000 coverage is $1,929 USD to be paid every year for staying in Thailand...  How many in Pattaya geriatric retirement population will be able to afford this for expat only insurance?  After this pandemic, I am leaving for Vietnam.

I would rather self-insure but that is denied to us.  

You need to shop around.

What visa will you have and why?

On 3/25/2021 at 4:41 AM, sirineou said:

The fact that if you are vaccinated you don't really need it.

I know the answer, but there is a small chance you can still get covid even if vaccinated. . Well, for a small chance I need small insurance , don't I? why do I need the same big insurance as the unvaccinated people? 

Say you have a house worth $2 million. In a high risk fire area, you would insure it for $2 million. Would you insure it for only $1 million in a low risk fire area? Usually, when the risk is lower, you expect a lower premium, but still need the same level of over. With Covid-19, it is the same. With a lower risk, once insurance companies can calculate that risk, insurance should be available for a much lower premium. The cover needs to be the same, because hospitals will not give you a discount for ICU because of a prior vaccination.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BritTim said:

Say you have a house worth $2 million. In a high risk fire area, you would insure it for $2 million. Would you insure it for only $1 million in a low risk fire area? Usually, when the risk is lower, you expect a lower premium, but still need the same level of over. With Covid-19, it is the same. With a lower risk, once insurance companies can calculate that risk, insurance should be available for a much lower premium. The cover needs to be the same, because hospitals will not give you a discount for ICU because of a prior vaccination.

I meant to say, " smaller insurance premiums not smaller insurance coverage  . . Obviously regardless of the reduced chance of  getting  covid, If infected, and require hospitalization, the costs would ne the same as any other person that is hospitalized for covid. But since the chance of getting infected are very low, and the chance of getting hospitalized are practically zero why would I have to pay the same premium as someone who is not vaccinated, as we do now. In addition ,

why would I even need to buy a product   that I have  practically a zero chance of ever using? 

"The vaccines were all 100% effective in the vaccine trials in stopping hospitalizations and death. "

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2021/02/12/all-covid-vaccines-stop-death-severe-illness-column/6709455002/ 

• Like 1

On 3/25/2021 at 4:07 AM, madmen said:

No need AXA is 2700 baht COE 

Is this 2700thb for Covid 100k insurance during 45 days visa-exempt period?

My USA friends are in China, planning to come here on visa-exempt, but COE online application requires insurance... If they got denied COE, can they get insurance money back?

I kept my health insurance when I retired.  Monthly payments are deducted from my monthly retirement pay. 

When asked for proof of coverage, my health insurance company sent me a letter that covers Thai government minimum covid treatment costs of $100,000.00 with no limit to costs on the high side.  The letter specifies it covers me in Thailand. 

I provided a copy of that letter when applying for a COE for both my wife and myself.  She is also covered by my health insurance.

The insurance also covers me for any other health care I would seek from any medical practitioner in Thailand.  

Annual costs are,  $7,788.00!!!

Edited by radiochaser
  • Like 2

I agree...this insurance is totally BOGUS for those who have been vaccinated. Yes it's not 100% that you cannot get/give it, but for all practical purposes, if you are vaccinated, you are 0 threat to others.  I believe it is to appease the public, especially the ones who have so much irrational fear of the virus.

• Like 1

On 3/24/2021 at 3:53 PM, sdweller said:

The 100k requirement is silly for those who are vaccinated.  I know some will come back and say "you can still get it when vaccinated!!!"   But that is just fearful bunk... the reality is that those that have one of the 3 main vaccines out there are NOT a threat.  Anyone who knows anything at all about vaccines knows this is the truth.  Time to get over all the irrational fears out there.

What makes you so sure? What are "main vaccines"? There is no "main" some finished trials and approvals quicker than others. Btw, peole have been reinfected despite Pfizer/BNT jab. 

No vaccine is 100%. I had HepA despite Twinrix jab.

On 3/27/2021 at 6:45 AM, radiochaser said:

I kept my health insurance when I retired.  Monthly payments are deducted from my monthly retirement pay. 

When asked for proof of coverage, my health insurance company sent me a letter that covers Thai government minimum covid treatment costs of $100,000.00 with no limit to costs on the high side.  The letter specifies it covers me in Thailand. 

I provided a copy of that letter when applying for a COE for both my wife and myself.  She is also covered by my health insurance.

The insurance also covers me for any other health care I would seek from any medical practitioner in Thailand.  

Annual costs are,  $7,788.00!!!

1. Did the embassy accept your insurance letter for $100K and 40K/400K THB outpatient/inpatient insurance requirement for your COE for Non O-A? Did the insurance company signed the foreign insurance certificate(FIC)?

2. $7788 price is your share of the cost for 2 person as a retiree or is that what your former employer pays?

Edited by gt162

On 3/27/2021 at 6:56 AM, radiochaser said:

Additionally, my wife has been told, by a person, now in Thailand, who flew from the United States two days ago, she had to have a "Fit to Fly" medical certification, prior to leaving the United States. 

image.png.d511c39e69a083e76b6ae3284b47f6dd.png

7 hours ago, gt162 said:

1. Did the embassy accept your insurance letter for $100K and 40K/400K THB outpatient/inpatient insurance requirement for your COE for Non O-A? Did the insurance company signed the foreign insurance certificate(FIC)?

2. $7788 price is your share of the cost for 2 person as a retiree or is that what your former employer pays?

Yes it appears they did.

I followed the New York consulate requests for documents, to get the Certificate of Entry. 

I uploaded, passports pics, flight itinerary to Thailand and the letter from my health insurance company.  

Consulate kicked it back with a denial.  Saying, we did not show proof that we were not going to stay in Thailand for less than 45 days. 

I added the document I forgot the first time, the return ticket itinerary, showing that we were returning to the United States 28 days after getting out of quarantine (15 days at that time) and received a Certificate of Entry Approval.  

That started a 15 day clock, so that we can find an ASQ hotel to stay at.  My wife has two chosen already and has spoken to some one at the hotel.  

We are waiting till after April 1 to finalize the ASQ hotel reservations as there are rumors', from inside of Thailand, from Thai nationals, that the quarantine time will be either 7 days or 10 days.  

As to cost of the insurance.  I am still confused about that.  Allegedly, the monthly costs were shared when I was gainfully employed.   The monthly costs were to increase due to my paying full price after retirement.  The only cost increases I have seen since retiring 10 years ago are the ones that occur at the beginning of the year.  That would be about $100 -$125 a month more now, than when I retired.   

My insurance covers everyone in the family.  Me and my wife, or if for some reason we adopt our two grand children, then them too at no additional costs.   

If I were single, then the monthly cost might go down.  I am not sure about that. 

Edited by radiochaser
  • Like 1