Cyberbullying is a crime, says Thai police spokesman - posters warned of conduct online

webfact

2pm.jpg

Picture: INN news

The deputy spokesman of the Royal Thai Police said that cyberbullying is a crime.

He also commented on a case of cyberbullying against the daughter of Thai PM Prayuth Chan-ocha that is proceeding.

Pol Col Krissana Pattanacharoen said that cyberbullying takes many forms such as persecution, defamation, slander, censure, bullying and the like, reported INN news

They are enacted on platforms like Facebook and Twitter and can cause mental as well as physical anguish to victims. 

Perpetrators of cyberbullying can face many charges related to their actions under computer crime legislation and those that aid and abet and pass on information can be just as guilty as the originators. 

There have been many successful prosecutions already and people should report cases to the police for action. 

Regarding the daughter of PM Prayuth he said that the prosecution and evidence gathering was ongoing but would be taken to the limit. 

She was being treated as any complainant would, he claimed. 

Krissana called for the public to behave properly, appropriately and sensibly on social media and not to share or comment when cyberbullying surfaces as that could constitute involvement.

He called for the public to report the crime. 

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-03-24

20 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

This sounds vaguely like an extension of the defamation "law"?

It would  be nice if the spokesman could provide the specific statute? Maybe it's in the most recent Computer Crimes Act ammendment?

This sort of vague threat or suggestion is classic. It leaves the police fully empowered to enforce the "law" as they deem appropriate.

Free speech remains out of reach.

Just curious if there are any other cyber-bullying cases being prosecuted? Or just this one? I think the daughters are now adult women, and the charges are years old. But, well, those at the top seem to get special treatment.

How dare you suggest in anyway this is a special  case you cyber  bully  you, I demand your  instant castration with a couple of  house bricks, shame on you, hang your  head......no  lower ????

• Haha 2

Dr. Gad Saad was kicked off of Facebook yesterday because he posted a bullying message that was sent to him calling him a "Dirty Jew" and added his comments.  You really must be very careful these days.  Personally, I would like to see messages labeling people as "Racists" be considered defamatory as well. Some of us have spent years trying to help minority people and being called racists is insulting.  Whatever happened to the notion that people should be judged by the content of their character?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, gunderhill said:

As the world  slowly eases further towards the Emperors  New  Clothes, I for one applaud the government in fact everything it does, the great Thai people and Thai  nation why stop there, everyone is  lovely and perfect and smiling all day.???? oh dear my  emoticon ( not me)  tells a  different story, bad  emoticon why does'nt Thai visa remove such emoticons ( if or  one am deeply offended on religious , cultural , ethical in fact any ground you wish to mention)and replace them only with happy,  smiley, the world is  lovely, emoticons

the Emperors New clothes indeed. TV rules forces me to say your clothes are beautiful, if i say my real opinion about your clothes i will be banned.

seriously, you are pretty cynical about your new home country. does it make you feel good about yourself?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

So many people commenting who appear to be in favour of allowing social media bullying. I see no-one saying it is right to punish such bullies, even though there have been cases where such bullying has led to suicide. I find that very interesting.

I don’t think most normal thinking people or societies are in favor of bullying.

The problem is when you add the “loss of face” concept and a bit of corruption to the mixture, it can quickly become toxic and people are suddenly going to prison, just for stating an opinion or having “offended” the wrong person.

However, sure this would never be an issue in Thailand. Just saying there are factors were “bullying” could be misunderstood and result in innocent people getting hurt.

But good they are on top of it. Bullying is of course wrong.

Edited by khunpa
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, gunderhill said:

As the world  slowly eases further towards the Emperors  New  Clothes, I for one applaud the government in fact everything it does, the great Thai people and Thai  nation why stop there, everyone is  lovely and perfect and smiling all day.???? oh dear my  emoticon ( not me)  tells a  different story, bad  emoticon why does'nt Thai visa remove such emoticons ( if or  one am deeply offended on religious , cultural , ethical in fact any ground you wish to mention)and replace them only with happy,  smiley, the world is  lovely, emoticons

Fully agree. Salt of the earth, though surprisingly, I have not always thought so. Believe it or not, I used to be afflicted by a long-standing dismal view of our SE Asian friends. No no... really. All that came to an end when one of our absolutely fair and unbiased heroes took me to task for it and was kind enough to elucidate (in the process and in between references to a truly unfortunate fetish for processed herring) how the rules of the Fora can be twisted into whatever shape pleases you at the moment.

That'll be the Swedish influence no doubt.

14 minutes ago, connda said:

It's amazing the trite nonsense that people nowadays can't handle. Things that all my US friends my age would just laugh at and laugh off.

Don't know which part of the west you are from but in my generation in Australia these people would not survive even with their friends. It was part of the culture to pick on any idiosyncrasies that a friend might have so you soon learnt to handle it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DogNo1 said:

Dr. Gad Saad was kicked off of Facebook yesterday because he posted a bullying message that was sent to him calling him a "Dirty Jew" and added his comments.  You really must be very careful these days.  Personally, I would like to see messages labeling people as "Racists" be considered defamatory as well. Some of us have spent years trying to help minority people and being called racists is insulting.  Whatever happened to the notion that people should be judged by the content of their character?  

And yet no one on the Bangkok post comments section, such as trolls like "Dante1000" is ever kicked off or banned, much less prosecuted. People like him have said many horrible, defamatory comments against Thailand, it's institutions and people and yet he is free to post his drivel day in, day out.

1 hour ago, connda said:

Bullying when I was a kid meant getting pounded by some guy picking on smaller kids who he knew he could beat up.

Cyber bullying?  That is such an ambiguous term.  Like, name calling?  What does it really mean?  It means imho that if some elite bigwig gets their panties in a twist about something someone says then "Throw Them Into Jail!"  "Cyberbullying" makes a good enough excuse when defamation and libel don't work.  So - make a new law.
My generation in the West:  "Sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me." <sticks out tongue>
My generation in Thailand: <sniffles; tears well in eyes; emotional breakdown>

It's amazing the trite nonsense that people nowadays can't handle. Things that all my US friends my age would just laugh at and laugh off.

It's pretty bad in the west these days and possibly worse than in Thailand. If you say anything slightly "racist" or otherwise "controversial' then you become enemy number one. "Controversial" opinions are banned from the "safe spaces" of US universities, which are supposed to be an "inclusive" environment.

Trust me, in Thailand most things are fair game. Calling a fat kid an elephant is par for the course. No one bats an eyelid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, connda said:

Bullying when I was a kid meant getting pounded by some guy picking on smaller kids who he knew he could beat up.

Cyber bullying?  That is such an ambiguous term.  Like, name calling?  What does it really mean?  It means imho that if some elite bigwig gets their panties in a twist about something someone says then "Throw Them Into Jail!"  "Cyberbullying" makes a good enough excuse when defamation and libel don't work.  So - make a new law.
My generation in the West:  "Sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me." <sticks out tongue>
My generation in Thailand: <sniffles; tears well in eyes; emotional breakdown>

I could not agree more.  These millennials or whatever they wish to call themselves are so dam sensitive they really need to grow up.  If some faceless wonder calls me out or tries to cyber bully me the solution is pretty simple. Turn off the app or engage back. I would not lose any sleep over some peanut brained comments in the cyberverse. 

Honestly virtual bullies, is that what people worry about now. What's next a virtual reputation. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jonclark said:

I could not agree more.  These millennials or whatever they wish to call themselves are so dam sensitive they really need to grow up.  If some faceless wonder calls me out or tries to cyber bully me the solution is pretty simple. Turn off the app or engage back. I would not lose any sleep over some peanut brained comments in the cyberverse. 

Honestly virtual bullies, is that what people worry about now. What's next a virtual reputation. 

Too true. I just cannot understand how anyone can get upset about what someone who doesn't know them and has never met them says. I just don't get it. 

Now Now you know that bricks were/are only ever used for a Camel Start anything other is surgical. As for bullying this generation is much to skinned. I always classed it as physical, like when I was young, till I deck the culprit one day and that was the end of it.  Yep!!. You'll  away get the big man till he's stood up to then see how weak he really is.