Thailand braces for heaviest rainfall in 30 years

snoop1130

On 4/2/2021 at 4:53 PM, SiamRead said:

If they predict the highest rainfall in more than 30 years, it's good ! But why must there be a warning  ?

Well if one were to believe the prediction, then measures would need to be on standby to assist with potential problems in flood prone areas, that may require assistance. Always better to be forewarned, so I suspect this is the reason for the warning.

22 minutes ago, JWRC said:

Well if one were to believe the prediction, then measures would need to be on standby to assist with potential problems in flood prone areas, that may require assistance. Always better to be forewarned, so I suspect this is the reason for the warning.

They better start cleaning the Klongs, the drains and the sewer's, or Bangkok and the other cities throughout the country will be flooded as in the past.  They have been forewarned, but do Thai's in power listen to anyone....FACE

• Like 1

3 hours ago, colinneil said:

06.45 am, we are getting hammered right now, very strong wind torrential rain.

10 am - looks like heavy rain moving up through central northern Thailand now, with more scattered areas of rain over Isaan. Another big lump near Rayong looks like it will also affect Pattaya shortly. Get the Chon Buri missuses to bring the washing in!

1 hour ago, nauseus said:

10 am - looks like heavy rain moving up through central northern Thailand now, with more scattered areas of rain over Isaan. Another big lump near Rayong looks like it will also affect Pattaya shortly. Get the Chon Buri missuses to bring the washing in!

I hope so only a couple of dribbles and showers in Sukhothai last night.

42 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Just had a serious drenching here on the Darkside. Rain now steady but still thunder and lightning in the distance.

No need to water the garden today.

12 minutes ago, polpott said:

Just had a serious drenching here on the Darkside. Rain now steady but still thunder and lightning in the distance.

No need to water the garden today.

No, not today -should stop in Pattaya  area in about 1/2 hr - heavy stuff moving on up through Bangkok and across to HH side now (not so heavy).

at 1250.

43 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I hope so only a couple of dribbles and showers in Sukhothai last night.

Still just isolated showers for now but looks like more general rain possible later from the south.

ภาพเรดาร์ฝน พิษณุโลก ภาคเหนือ ล่าสุด วันนี้

Edited by nauseus
  • Thanks 1

On 4/2/2021 at 4:50 PM, keith101 said:

The Meteorological Department has warned that from early May, the average rainfall would be the highest in more than 30 years. Where is TAT mentioned ?

I think he's having a little joke! Doh!!!????????????????

On 4/2/2021 at 6:24 PM, internationalism said:

la nina picked in november, and it was mild, so no chance for such a big rainfall

Nope...  Looking good for a decent wet season in SE Asia.  According to latest from NOAA....  La Niña is present. Equatorial sea surface temperatures are below average from the west- central to eastern Pacific Ocean. Tropical atmospheric circulation is consistent with La Niña.  

On 4/3/2021 at 1:56 PM, overherebc said:

They feed in weather pattern records going back as far as they have records for. Any pattern that is close to the present pattern is found and the following weeks/months are looked at. Sort of follows the idea that if in say 1970 at the same of year as today the weather patterns over all are very similar to today then it's likely that similar weather will follow. 

Then again does a butterfly flapping its wings in Japan have any effect on tomorrow's weather here?

????

I'm not sure it's that simplistic~I would not think so, or I could do that with my laptop.  This company is in the USA, but has clients worldwide~it is obviously not just for the USA.

34 minutes ago, Redline said:

I'm not sure it's that simplistic~I would not think so, or I could do that with my laptop.  This company is in the USA, but has clients worldwide~it is obviously not just for the USA.

34 minutes ago, Redline said:

Obviously they don't just use records from your local county. ????  

It's as near as they can get to all world patterns that are 'on record'.

It's never been claimed to be extremely accurate, just a 'near as' as they can make it.

People expect too much detail from local forecasts anyway and read things wrong.

A 50% chance of rain doesn't mean it's going to rain 50% of the time where you are located.

• Like 1

It is now Wednesday afternoon and every day since Saturday nights storm we have had rain showers for an hour or so each day. The good news is that the government water supply has come back on.

I will pump from my main ongs into my 6 standby ongs and keep them ready (just in case).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ourmanflint said:

Is it unusual for it to be raining at Songkran? I'm not there every year so not sure.

Historically, yes. Except for the south, there used to be a few brief showers in April. Now the climate changes more every year, it seems.

• Like 1

I remember there being rain at or around Song Kran once or twice in the past.

It's not the norm, though.

Of course we don't know if it's going to be raining at Song Kran this year - on the weather app I use it shows it as being partly cloudy but not actually raining, at least at the beginning, where I live (Hua Hin).

Edited by GroveHillWanderer
  • Like 1