No curfew in Thailand yet but further restrictions in cluster areas likely

webfact

Interesting no mention of a travel ban. I am happy about that at least (before anyone jumps down my throat its OK to travel and do most things if one follows the recommended precautions). 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Whale said:

Interesting no mention of a travel ban. I am happy about that at least (before anyone jumps down my throat its OK to travel and do most things if one follows the recommended precautions). 

There won't be a travel ban.  People have already made their Songkran holiday plans, as encouraged to do so by the government.  

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Ridiculous to have a curfew at any time.  Equally ridiculous to close a few bars, ban alcohol in restaurants and make them close at 9pm.   

Makes even less sense to ban alcohol in pubs/bars. ("I think I'll go down the pub for a coffee!")????

(I suppose there are a lot of 'food pubs' there, like the UK).

Is it a pub that sells food or a retaurant that sells booze?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Thaiophil said:

Ridiculous to have a curfew in Bangkok over Songkran when most of the population will drain out to the provinces anyway.  

dont you be sprouting logic now

Edited by wombat
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Guderian said:

They have none of the nasty variants wreaking havoc in much of Europe, Brazil, South Africa and India, and yet they're still having considerable problems staying on top of the situation. It beggars belief that they're reducing the quarantine period for overseas arrivals significantly, and are still talking about doing away with it altogether. Fully vaccinated foreigners are unlikely to die or even fall seriously ill from Covid, but they can still transmit the virus and until the government has vaccinated enough of its population to protect them properly (maybe in 2025 at the current rate) it would not make any sense to simply throw the doors open and invite much worse problem to come in, just for the sake of a few dollars.

I would agree with the logic, but it is not just a few dollars in that matter... Millions of people are affected here by the lack of tourists and foreigners in general. Again, the sad part is that I have to agree with your logic since the vaccination is so slow.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Guderian said:

They have none of the nasty variants wreaking havoc in much of Europe, Brazil, South Africa and India, and yet they're still having considerable problems staying on top of the situation. It beggars belief that they're reducing the quarantine period for overseas arrivals significantly, and are still talking about doing away with it altogether. Fully vaccinated foreigners are unlikely to die or even fall seriously ill from Covid, but they can still transmit the virus and, until the government has vaccinated enough of its population to protect them properly (maybe in 2025 at the current rate, lol), it would not make any sense to simply throw the doors open and invite far worse problems to come in, and just for the sake of a few grubby tourist dollars.

Agree with your take on quarantine but regards vaccinated tourists coming. I think once vaccinated the chances of then having the virus and passing it on are minimal but to cut the risk even further those who arrive vaccinated also have to have a covid free test certificate. In the Phuket sandbox model at least 70% of the population should be vaccinated so I personally welcome the move to kick start opening up.

Edit: Of course unless Thailand gets this current outbreak eradicated soon then we can forget opening up to anyone.

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

Makes even less sense to ban alcohol in pubs/bars. ("I think I'll go down the pub for a coffee!")????

(I suppose there are a lot of 'food pubs' there, like the UK).

Is it a pub that sells food or a retaurant that sells booze?

Licensed premises in Thailand have always been a bit of both. 

Tomorrow, from the sound of it, we may have a government decision on mandating earlier closing times for restaurants and bars/pubs for the coming two-week period, with the specific closing times varying by province. That may also include some restriction on their ability to serve alcohol.

But I haven't heard anything thus far that would extend any of those kind of restrictions to retail sales from supermarkets and such.

6 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Obviously an expert in the N.S.C. has studied the science of Covid, and has come to the conclusion that it is more dangerous after 9.00pm ! 

Genius ! ????

Any idiot could see the the spreading of the virus is  more  prevalent later in the evening as more people gather together . Doesn't want a scientists to figure that out.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Whale said:

But it's essential that one wears a mask.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, starky said:

Never ever wanted anyone to be more wrong in my life. Still the best part of a week before Songkran. Do you think the Thai government is that inept? In so far as their covid response?  Do you think they would like an outbreak through the provinces?

If it was up to the scared this world will never come out of lockdown. You do realise at some point we have to live with this and the vaccine is no silver bullet right? Go hide in your bunker and let the rest of us get on with it.

Amen!

Here's the deal they're looking at adopting tomorrow. Looks like only the 5 "red zone" provinces including BKK would have a total ban on alcohol sales at restaurants and bars/pubs, etc... along with an early 9 pm closing time, for the coming two-weeks.

Screenshot_18.jpg.2d6cb45c1f30cc29868f38e9587126ce.jpg

Screenshot_17.jpg.15b030cffb555ea0d9bc0b700f2a4002.jpg

Screenshot_19.jpg.84c17a25dae44bc519f837141855864c.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/nbtworld/posts/10157931204182050

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK