Pattaya: "Transparent" CCTV equipped checkpoints back on Sukhumvit Road

webfact

7pm.jpg

Sophon Cable TV reported on Facebook that the new "transparent and CCTV monitored" police checkpoints are back in Pattaya.

Yesterday the cops were out in front of the Bang Lamung municipal offices on Sukhumvit Road. 

The new style checkpoints are the brainchild of RTP chief Pol Gen Suwat Chaengyodsuk.

Police were looking out for ten offences on the roads including speeding, going the wrong way, not having a licence, not wearing seatbelts or helmets and DUI. 

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-04-09

• Haha 1

So according to that article one of the ten points the RTP  were looking out for at these check points is "going the wrong way".  That is quite interesting as do the RTP really believe that someone would approach a police check point driving in the wrong direction or are they looking out for vehicles being driven in reverse towards the checkpoint ? ????

• Like 1

The "transparent" CCTV checkpoints are the new "approved" checkpoints the current Police Chief devised because of all the talk about how the Police were taking (or asking for) bribes to let people off of getting a ticket in the past.

All checkpoints now have to be set up in the same fashion (there is a list of something like 15 things that have to be done). The officers are supposed to be wearing body cams, there are supposed to be tables/signs/lights set out at specific distances, there is supposed to be wifi cameras set up so the top cops at the station can monitor the activity (and the cops) at the checkpoints.

They can't just throw up a checkpoint anywhere they please anymore, as they have to be able to set up those tables/lights/signs/cameras, which means they need space - and electricity. 
The idea of them is to prevent people offering bribes to the cops (or the cops hinting at such). Whether or not it will work is another question. Lot harder to try and get a bribe when there are 8-10 other cops around you, all wearing body cams plus the wifi cams watching everyone.

And the way they are supposed to operate is that there are 2 cops who direct which vehicles are to pull over, 2 other cops question the drivers of those vehicles to determine if they should be checked out further (i.e. for drunk driving or no license, etc), then 2 other cops (at one of the tables) do the actual "investigation" and issue tickets if necessary, 2 other cops are there in case anyone needs to be actually arrested and there are supposed to be 2 more cops at the far end to chase anyone that tries to flee the scene.

So that makes 10 cops (plus at least one supervisor) per checkpoint. 

I have to laugh because in the 16 years I've been riding here, I have NEVER been asked for a bribe (or offered one) to get out of a ticket, and I've only every received 2 tickets. Both times deserved (left my International Driver's Permit on the other bike and the other one was because my idiot passenger didn't put on the helmet I'd given her to wear).
Every other time I've ever been stopped I've never had a problem. Usually they take one glance at my (Thai) Driver's License and that's it. Occasionally they will check the decal, look under the seat or ask if I've been drinking. 

Then they wave me on. As there is nothing to ticket me for, there's nothing to "bribe". Funny how that works eh ?

• Like 2

Also, according to an article I saw yesterday, there are supposed to be something like 1,200 such checkpoints set up around the country for the duration of the Songkran period (at least).