Thailand reports 1,335 new COVID-19 cases

webfact

14 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

I believe they are in the bunker and waiting for the submarines to arrive so they can leave the country down the Chao Phraya River into the gulf and out to the Andaman Sea, where they will meet Mr. Big and party on Fantasy Island.

There was a proposal by the MoPH a week or so back before Song Kran to declare Bangkok and several surrounding provinces as official "red zones" and apply whatever control measures would come with that. It got proposed from the health officials up to the Cabinet and the PM, and was either rejected and/or not accepted/acted on. So they made a conscious decision.

Last year at Song Kran, it was basically lock down time. This year, for whatever perplexing reasons, they decided to let the cats out of the bags now.... and then apparently will try to herd and catch them all after they've been out for Song Kran playing and multiplying... as it were...  Hard to understand.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Magenta408 said:

What tests are they using? If it's the PCR test, the WHO and the CDC, the couple of evil have clearly stated that the test is not reliable, it results in far too many false positives. Why are they still using the PCR test to determine cases?

Lots of different companies make PCR tests. They all have different rates of specificity and sensitivity. Some have more false positives than others. You can't just lump them all together.

"The Governor of Prachuap Khiri Khan, which includes Hua Hin, has signed the order to close high risk venues such as pubs, bars, water parks, children’s playgrounds, gyms, cinemas, game shops etc. Restaurants can open but no alcohol can be served."

"First casualty is Vana Nava Water Jungle that is being closed indefinitely."

https://www.facebook.com/richardbarrowthailand/posts/312293913590212

Nakhon Ratchasima opens its first field hospital for COVID-19 patients

Screenshot_18.jpg.0f64ff21fdf3b2d634fb0a257b132b95.jpg

"The first field hospital in Thailand’s northeastern province of Nakhon Ratchasima is scheduled to open on Thursday, to ease congestion at general hospitals.

Located in the Chartchai Hall building of the Chalerm Phrakiat Stadium, the field hospital is equipped with 100 beds and will accommodate COVID patients who have already spent seven days in a general hospital, with mild or no symptoms or who do not have congenital diseases and who do not require a respirator.

21 new COVID-19 cases, among them 14 employees of a barbecue pork shop, were recorded in the province today, raising the cumulative infections there to 144."

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/nakhon-ratchasima-opens-its-first-field-hospital-for-covid-19-patients/

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Miami007 said:

If you personally know several people who have it, you must be a doctor or the figures are completely understated.

Why do you think that? I'm in Hua Hin as well and we've had over 300 cases in the past 10 days. 

I also know several people who have tested positive - my niece and 3 of her friends, who were all at the Maya pub when the "super spreader" event happened.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Let hope you're never put in charge of a risk assessment

life and progress is full of risks; the key is managing them and not panicking. 

Edited by onthedarkside
personal comment removed
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Pretty lucky you weren't in charge on D-Day or the moon landings...life and progress is full of risks; the key is managing them and not panicking. 

Agreed I wasn't around for the first one and to young for the second but I tend to run out of the way when a train is heading full speed at me, just the way I am I guess.

The Ministry of Public Health announced Wednesday that the number of provinces with some variety of local quarantine requirements for arriving visitors -- generally meaning those from Bangkok and several adjoining central provinces -- has now increased to 43 provinces, or more than half the provinces in the country. The details and enforcement of the policies may vary from province to province.

The government has not produced a full EN version of the updated list, and the Ministry of Interior website with information on all the provinces and their details is only in TH language. The color codings below reflect the red/northern, blue/northeastern, green/central and yellow/southern provinces on the list.

85397929_QuarantineProvinces4-14-21a.jpg.60e5302147ef9f0fec01b33ebcbce7d7.jpg

211089103_QuarantineProvinces4-14-21b.jpg.86b95c9b5b1b199a2b34c7f447c908e3.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/thaimoph/posts/287421359534441

http://www.moicovid.com/    (though the site seemed down Weds. night)

Provinces enforcing entry restrictions for travellers are:

North:

Chiang Mai, Kamphaeng Phet, Lampang, Lamphun, Nan, Phayao, Phetchabun, Phichit, Phitsanulok, Phrae, Tak, Uttaradit.

Northeast:

Amnat Charoen, Bueng Kan, Buri Ram, Chaiyaphum, Khon Kaen, Mahasarakham, Mukdahan, Nakhon Phanom, Nakhon Ratchasima, Nong Bua Lam Phu, Nong Khai, Sakon Nakhon, Ubon Ratchathani, Udon Thani, Yasothon.

Central, East and West:

Chainat, Lopburi, Nakhon Sawan, Sa Kaeo, Saraburi, Sing Buri, Uthai Thani

South:

Chumphon, Narathiwat, Pattani, Phangnga, Ranong, Satun, Songkhla, Trang

8 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

FYI, these are two charts the MoPH produced earlier this week on Thailand's national supply of hospital beds to deal with COVID cases, and then the second chart pertaining to the Bangkok region.

In the first chart below, I believe the first line of data pertains to the Bangkok region, the second line elsewhere, and then the third line national totals.

[I added some basic EN translations to the best of my understanding. Obviously, the occupancy and available beds numbers are changing pretty much daily].

253465249_HospitalBeds1National04-11-21.jpg.5d3487210ec2e583cd252a66609cc54f.jpg

2073360513_HospitalBeds2BKKRegion04-11-21.jpg.f0eeca5d9254fb7bf10965ad75d65605.jpg

So there are 860 intensive care beds in the provinces, plus 187 in Bangkok.

1,047 ICU beds in Thailand. In total.

• Sad 2

10 hours ago, wasabi said:

At some point will herd immunity occur without vaccines? I have very little faith in Thailand's vaccination program but at some point most of the population will have had Covid. I know this is not the desirable way to manage a pandemic but not sure if there is any other way out here? Then again perhaps all the different variants make it impossible without a vaccine?

Reaching herd immunity in Thailand could cost one million lives.

30 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

I hope you are aware the many COVID victims die from a cytokine storm - their healthy immune system is turned against them. That is also why the Spanish flu killed so many young people (instead of the elderly). The only cure for serious COVID is having specific antibodies, typically acquired via injection.

There is currently no conclusive research about who is at most risk of a cytokine storm, or if there is a way to predict a storm before it happens.

Edited by onthedarkside
personal comment removed
  • Sad 1

The greatest ally of the virus is ignorance.

Unfortunately, there is a global network of people who want to see everything burn, who are willfully transmitting misinformation. If you see a post, or something on Facebook, or an email that contradicts the medical consensus, it was very likely generated by someone who doesn’t care if you follow their advice and die. Of course, there are also people profiting from false cures.

Wear a face mask.

Wash your hands.

Observe social distancing rules.

It’s not rocket science, folks.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Antonymous said:

There is currently no conclusive research about who is at most risk of a cytokine storm, or if there is a way to predict a storm before it happens.

By definition, there is no cytokine storm for people with weakened immune systems.

And our experience with the Spanish flu was that people with healthy immune systems were more likely to die from a cytokine storm.

Don’t get me wrong, a healthy immune system is a good thing. Just don’t rely on it to save you from Covid19.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

By definition, there is no cytokine storm for people with weakened immune systems.

And our experience with the Spanish flu was that people with healthy immune systems were more likely to die from a cytokine storm.

Don’t get me wrong, a healthy immune system is a good thing. Just don’t rely on it to save you from Covid19.

I really don’t want to further a debate about this issue. It is a red herring and not at all helpful.

I recommend that you have a read of this article:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/scientists-pour-cold-water-on-one-common-feature-of-covid-19-and-the-1918-flu/ar-BB1b0FFl

The conclusion in the article:

“This constellation of symptoms already has a long history in critical care,” the JAMA editorial said. “Although the term cytokine storm conjures up dramatic imagery and has captured the attention of the mainstream and scientific media, the current data do not support its use. Until new data establish otherwise, the linkage of cytokine storm to COVID-19 may be nothing more than a tempest in a teapot.”

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, blackcab said:

So there are 860 intensive care beds in the provinces, plus 187 in Bangkok.

1,047 ICU beds in Thailand. In total.

I think we're talking about the pink shaded title portions of the two charts... Live and learn... I find in checking, the AIIR reference stands for negative pressure airborne infectious isolation rooms (AIIRs).

As best as I can read it, the first chart seems to be a national summary including BKK, with the 3 horizontal AIIR column subtotals on the yellow line adding up to the 860 rooms nationwide.

But if I'm interpreting the info right, I can't seem to get the pink-shaded BKK numbers on the first chart to match up with the pink shaded BKK details numbers on the second chart.  Being unable to directly read Thai is somewhat of a hindrance!