Response to latest COVID-19 outbreak in Thailand

snoop1130

6 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Have you read the other thread suggesting that insurance companies are not covering no or mild symptom medical expenses? 

I had an e-mail last year and a separate letter on my medical renewal from Pacific Cross specifically about Covid and emphasizing that all bills related to any covid treatment would be fully covered

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, starky said:

More Thai bashing nonsense.

No not Thai bashing - just pointing out what the field hospitals are really like in comparison to the OP photo. We are not in California, Seattle, or Madrid. The OP is about field hospitals in Thailand.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Phuketshrew said:

No not Thai bashing - just pointing out what the field hospitals are really like in comparison to the OP photo. We are not in California, Seattle, or Madrid. The OP is about field hospitals in Thailand.

Where, anywhere in the OP was it implied that was a picture of a field hospital? From the OP itself

Currently, there are 28,147 hospital beds available for COVID-19 patients in public and private hospitals; some hotels are turning into temporary hospitals known as hospitels, and field hospitals have been constructed. 

So many hospital beds in public and private hospitals still available plus hotel rooms and field hospitals as a last resort.... 100% Thai bashing

Edited by starky

15 hours ago, Phuketshrew said:

image.png.985f39ac4568c6df770e3b9c7530bae1.pngimage.png.c19e12200bed838196de16ba361a14f7.png

Can anyone spot the difference?

So basically now if you get sick you'd just have to hide at home in order to not be forced into one of those halls! You would think that this also leads to people not even wanting to get tested in the first place – unless you feel too sick to stay at home.

36 minutes ago, jim hayes said:

Can anyone recommend an insurance company/policy  that covers one for the cost of being taken to a hospital after testing positive for Covid 19 ? Thanks

Any of the covid insurances obviously, LMG, AxA etc. The last one I took was 5000 for 90 days. What's the point now if the hospitals are full? I have coverage but I'd rather stay home than be sent to one of those halls full of people.

8 minutes ago, jim hayes said:

Can anyone recommend an insurance company/policy  that covers one for the cost of being taken to a hospital after testing positive for Covid 19 ? Thanks

My insurance (April) quotes:  'Treatment for medically-necessary services related to COVID-19 are covered up to the annual limit'

Thus, the wording seems to offer enough ‘wiggle room’ for the insurance to avoid payment of hospitalisation if I were to test positive without symptoms. 

A few possible scenarios:

- I have symptoms, get tested and require treatment - Insurance should cover this treatment because I have symptoms. 

- I have been exposed and government requests I test, I test positive and have no symptoms, I have to quarantine and there is doubt that the insurance will pay - I make up a few symptoms for the purposes of the insurance (tight chest, headache)

Realistic scenario: 

- I have mild symptoms and stay at home isolating.

- I have serious symptoms and take myself to hospital for treatment under insurance. 

I can’t imagine a scenario whereby I am tested in Thailand unless I have symptoms. 

6 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

Hmmm... If you test positive for Covid-19, then you are not going to be infected by anyone else. 

Thats not quite true, if you think it through...  There are different lineages and variants of SARS-CoV-2.

Thus, if you test positive and have one variant of the SARS-CoV-2 virus you could pick up a more severe variant in an isolation facility which has poor patient to patient isolation.

Variants classified as ‘variants of more concern’ are  B.1.1.7, B.1.351, P.1, B.1.427, and B.1.429.

B.1.1.7 (the so called UK or Kent strain - named after the location it was first identified) is already in circulating in Thailand. 

The concern with the transmission of variants is that they may have:

- Increased transmissibility

- Increased morbidity

- Increased mortality

- Could evade detection by diagnostic tests

- Decreased susceptibility to antiviral drugs (if and when such drugs are available)

- Decreased susceptibility to neutralising antibodies

- Ability to evade natural immunity (e.g., causing reinfections)

- Ability to infect vaccinated individuals

Thus: Simply saying, one is infected so they ‘can’t get it again’ in a field hospital or bulk isolation facility s an over simplistic view point which fails to understand the issue.

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

My insurance (April) quotes:  'Treatment for medically-necessary services related to COVID-19 are covered up to the annual limit'

Thus, the wording seems to offer enough ‘wiggle room’ for the insurance to avoid payment of hospitalisation if I were to test positive without symptoms. 

Thanks for the answers guys. This was my main concern regarding the insurance.

11 hours ago, smedly said:

I have heard figures in the area of BT150,000 if you are exposed to this scam

Covid  insurance is readily  available  in Thailand at very  low  prices, I think I paid  800 baht for 200k in cover (Wife  covered me), now  that may not  cover everything but it will certainly  help. anymore and Ill cover it, just renewed it a month ago.

9 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Obviously the pandemic isn't a scam.

But frankly it now appears that (non migrant worker) foreigners are being exploited as cash cows. 

It's one thing choosing to go to a fancy private hospital for a procedure and freely paying a lot for that. But to be forced into medical incarceration with no or mild symptoms may be harsh but understandable as a public health policy (though still obviously questionable), but to be financially exploited based on passport status as part of that process, that is really quite horrible. 

Are any other countries doing this to foreigners? Specifically not only the forced medical incarceration but the unconscionable overcharging?

Of course I'm not suggesting that it should be free. 

We  don't waste  time round here, we  just burn them like witches on a  stake! If they don't  burn it proves they aren't infected, and are free to go no survivors  yet.

11 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

With proper preparation, the ministry is able to adapt to the changing circumstances rapidly, while maintaining effective disease-control measures to protect people’s lives.

Needs some translation:

Your government is looking after you well, as always. You can be sure that we are all working tirelessly to ensure that our top priority, your welfare, is always in focus.

That's better. And if you believe that, please make a bid for the Rama 3 Bridge.

28 minutes ago, ChomDo said:

So basically now if you get sick you'd just have to hide at home in order to not be forced into one of those halls! You would think that this also leads to people not even wanting to get tested in the first place – unless you feel too sick to stay at home.

Those halls are for people without symptoms. So, if you get sick, you don’t go to one of those halls.

Just now, djayz said:

But frankly it now appears that (non migrant worker) foreigners are being exploited as cash cows

Whatever happened to the government's plan not to take advantage of forigners if only they'll come and visit again.

BS? yes, I thought so at the time. Or perhaps that only referred to tourists and not residents. Resident bank balances are fair game then? Same as always?

25 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

A few possible scenarios:

- I have symptoms, get tested and require treatment - Insurance should cover this treatment because I have symptoms. 

- I have been exposed and government requests I test, I test positive and have no symptoms, I have to quarantine and there is doubt that the insurance will pay - I make up a few symptoms for the purposes of the insurance (tight chest, headache)

Realistic scenario: 

- I have mild symptoms and stay at home isolating.

- I have serious symptoms and take myself to hospital for treatment under insurance. 

I can’t imagine a scenario whereby I am tested in Thailand unless I have symptoms. 

Thats not quite true, if you think it through...  There are different lineages and variants of SARS-CoV-2.

Thus, if you test positive and have one variant of the SARS-CoV-2 virus you could pick up a more severe variant in an isolation facility which has poor patient to patient isolation.

Variants classified as ‘variants of more concern’ are  B.1.1.7, B.1.351, P.1, B.1.427, and B.1.429.

B.1.1.7 (the so called UK or Kent strain - named after the location it was first identified) is already in circulating in Thailand. 

The concern with the transmission of variants is that they may have:

- Increased transmissibility

- Increased morbidity

- Increased mortality

- Could evade detection by diagnostic tests

- Decreased susceptibility to antiviral drugs (if and when such drugs are available)

- Decreased susceptibility to neutralising antibodies

- Ability to evade natural immunity (e.g., causing reinfections)

- Ability to infect vaccinated individuals

Thus: Simply saying, one is infected so they ‘can’t get it again’ in a field hospital or bulk isolation facility s an over simplistic view point which fails to understand the issue.

Nope.

Only one Covid virus at a time.

That’s the way it works.

• Confused 1

Just now, djayz said:

But frankly it now appears that (non migrant worker) foreigners are being exploited as cash cows

Whatever happened to the government's plan not to take advantage of forieegners if only they'll relent and come and visit our beautiful and honest shores again.

BS? yes, I thought so at the time. Or perhaps that only referred to tourists and not residents. Resident bank balances are fair game then? Same as always?

9 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Obviously the pandemic isn't a scam.

But frankly it now appears that (non migrant worker) foreigners are being exploited as cash cows. 

It's one thing choosing to go to a fancy private hospital for a procedure and freely paying a lot for that. But to be forced into medical incarceration with no or mild symptoms may be harsh but understandable as a public health policy (though still obviously questionable), but to be financially exploited based on passport status as part of that process, that is really quite horrible. 

Are any other countries doing this to foreigners? Specifically not only the forced medical incarceration but the unconscionable overcharging?

Of course I'm not suggesting that it should be free. 

Please supply a link to the cost of a bed in a Thai field hospital for a foreigner.

We’ll wait.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Those halls are for people without symptoms. So, if you get sick, you don’t go to one of those halls.

Well so let's say as a foreigner we for some reason test positive but don't have any clear symptoms. Then isn't it wise to tell them you feel very sick and can't breathe well? I mean just to get taken to a real hospital instead of the hall option.

Just now, ChomDo said:

Well so let's say as a foreigner we for some reason test positive but don't have any clear symptoms. Then isn't it wise to tell them you feel very sick and can't breathe well? I mean just to get taken to a real hospital instead of the hall option.

The conversation was about foreigners getting tested against their will, found positive, and shipped off to a 100,000 baht bed in a field hospital. Yah, pretty crazy.

But, if you want to talk about how to escape a field hospital for a real hospital bed, go right ahead.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Petey11 said:

Totally agree, especially as going by figures reported of laboratory resources they can process 21 million samples a day??

Pick a number, any number. 4 days to test the more than entire population of Thailand? OK if you say so.

Are you sure they're neither exaggerating nor lying?

Edited by ParkerN
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Nope.

Only one Covid virus at a time.

That’s the way it works.

Are you serious ??... 

You believe that only one variant is in circulation in Thailand ????  (or anywhere else) ?

IF so, you’ve just removed yourself from sensible debate..... 

8 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:
11 minutes ago, ChomDo said:

The conversation was about foreigners getting tested against their will, found positive, and shipped off to a 100,000 baht bed in a field hospital. Yah, pretty crazy.

But, if you want to talk about how to escape a field hospital for a real hospital bed, go right ahead.

Thats an option anyway - My Wife’s cousin, asymptomatic was not best impressed with being in a field hospital and arranged to have himself transferred to a more comfortable private hospital (obviously at his own cost / or the cost of his insurance). 

17 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thats an option anyway - My Wife’s cousin, asymptomatic was not best impressed with being in a field hospital and arranged to have himself transferred to a more comfortable private hospital (obviously at his own cost / or the cost of his insurance). 

There's the rub, will the insurance pay if you're asymptomatic?

16 hours ago, Phuketshrew said:

image.png.985f39ac4568c6df770e3b9c7530bae1.pngimage.png.c19e12200bed838196de16ba361a14f7.png

Can anyone spot the difference?

The difference is that one is in a hospital where one would be taken if intensive treatment was required. The other is a so called 'field hospital' where one would be assigned if mild or no treatment is necessary.

Am I right?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, starky said:
2 hours ago, Phuketshrew said:

Where, anywhere in the OP was it implied that was a picture of a field hospital? From the OP itself

Currently, there are 28,147 hospital beds available for COVID-19 patients in public and private hospitals; some hotels are turning into temporary hospitals known as hospitels, and field hospitals have been constructed. 

So many hospital beds in public and private hospitals still available plus hotel rooms and field hospitals as a last resort.... 100% Thai bashing

Nonsense. My post contained three simple words "spot the difference" to point out the disparity between the OP image and field hospitals. At no point did I disparage Thai's or Thai field hospitals or make any comparison. It is you that chose to interpret that I did. Time to dismount from your lofty steed and understand what was actually written.

Edited by Phuketshrew
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, Phuketshrew said:

Nonsense. My post contained three simple words "spot the difference" to point out the disparity between the OP image and field hospitals. At no point did I disparage Thai's or Thai field hospitals or make any comparison. It is you that chose to interpret that I did. Time to dismount from you lofty steed and understand what was actually written.

So you think people don't realise the difference between a hospital and a field hospital. The OP image is of a hospital in which many beds are still available. Many people will still be using those beds as depicted in the photo. Clearly posting 2 photos is a comparison. 

Spin it anyway you want mate. Lol

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, starky said:

The OP image is of a hospital in which many beds are still available. Many people will still be using those beds as depicted in the photo. Clearly posting 2 photos is a comparison. 

Spin it anyway you want mate. Lol

The bottom line is that you labelled me as a "Thai basher" (twice), which I am most certainly not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, ChomDo said:

How many foreigners in Thailand do you suppose take a Covid test if they aren’t feeling sick?

But, to answer your question a different way, if a foreigner were to walk into a lab and get a positive test result, they would be swiftly removed to a hospital.

if all hospitals were completely filled, the foreigner would be given a bed on a field hospital. If they then developed symptoms, too bad for them.

Edited by Danderman123
  • Like 1