Response to latest COVID-19 outbreak in Thailand

snoop1130

33 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Are you serious ??... 

You believe that only one variant is in circulation in Thailand ????  (or anywhere else) ?

IF so, you’ve just removed yourself from sensible debate..... 

no.

Scientists believe that the human body can only be infected by one coronavirus at a time.

10 minutes ago, jim hayes said:

There's the rub, will the insurance pay if you're asymptomatic?

Why shouldn't they? Being asymptomatic does not mean you don't have the virus. If a person is tested positive it has to be assumed that that person does have Covid and as long as a doctor signs off as such, the insurance must pay.

16 minutes ago, jim hayes said:

There's the rub, will the insurance pay if you're asymptomatic?

I dunno, if your bed in a field hospital is cheap enough, they might.

Who in the field hospital is in charge of billing insurances? Or billing patients, for that matter. I have never heard of a field hospital that charged patients.

This particular topic is getting pretty crazy.

21 minutes ago, Phuketshrew said:

Nonsense. My post contained three simple words "spot the difference" to point out the disparity between the OP image and field hospitals. At no point did I disparage Thai's or Thai field hospitals or make any comparison. It is you that chose to interpret that I did. Time to dismount from your lofty steed and understand what was actually written.

--Sometimes spot the difference is a challenge to see if people recognize something.

--You say spot the difference for two images obviously known and understood by all.

See the difference?

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ChomDo said:

Any of the covid insurances obviously, LMG, AxA etc. The last one I took was 5000 for 90 days. What's the point now if the hospitals are full? I have coverage but I'd rather stay home than be sent to one of those halls full of people.

No. Not all plans cover being sent to incarceration with no or mild symptoms.

1 hour ago, Danderman123 said:

Please supply a link to the cost of a bed in a Thai field hospital for a foreigner.

We’ll wait.

It's not available. US embassy says hotel or hospital incarceration with no or mild symptoms can cost 100,000 baht. I don’t see why a field hospital would necessarily be different. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

no.

Scientists believe that the human body can only be infected by one coronavirus at a time.

Scientist believe ??? - Virologists admit to not knowing.... 

To address your specific point, which if I’m not mistaken is: SARS-CoV-2 of a different variant cannot be transmitted to someone who already has the SARS-CoV-2 virus in their system.

Using the example we have discuss: 2 weeks in a ‘field isolation facility’:

10 days after unknowingly being exposed a Patient A decides to take a Covid-19 test (for whatever reason) and tests positive for SARS-CoV-2 (they have A.1 variant)

They are taken to a ‘field isolation facility’ - 1 week into that 2 week ‘isolation’ period they no longer have the virus....  

Patient B tests positive for SARS-CoV-2 (they have B.1.1.7 variant) they are taken to the same ‘field isolation facility’ and placed into a bed next to patient A, who no longer has the virus but is completing their 2 weeks isolation. 

Can Patient A contract variant B.1.1.7 from Patient B ?????  - You [Danderman123] have suggested they can’t, you have suggested that scientists ‘believed’ they can’t. 

The reason variants are of a specific concern is because ‘virologists’ have outlined that the variants of concern have the ability to evade natural immunity (e.g., causing reinfections) and have the ability to infect vaccinated individuals.

There is no evidence to suggest that an infected individual is protected from contracting more harmful variant strains if they are carrying an existing less harmful variant of different lineage. 

There is a lot of wishful thinking out there, also a lot of paranoia - But suggesting ‘people can’t catch it because they already have it’  is somewhat flawed, because we don't know. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

It's not available. US embassy says hotel or hospital incarceration with no or mild symptoms can cost 100,000 baht. I don’t see why a field hospital would necessarily be different. 

Um because 2 of those 3 options are a hospital or a hotel whilst the third is a cot in a tent perhaps? But TIT and if the insurance is paying probably would jack it up just like any other country would.

Edited by starky

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Scientist believe ??? - Virologists admit to not knowing.... 

To address your specific point, which if I’m not mistaken is: SARS-CoV-2 of a different variant cannot be transmitted to someone who already has the SARS-CoV-2 virus in their system.

Using the example we have discuss: 2 weeks in a ‘field isolation facility’:

10 days after unknowingly being exposed a Patient A decides to take a Covid-19 test (for whatever reason) and tests positive for SARS-CoV-2 (they have A.1 variant)

They are taken to a ‘field isolation facility’ - 1 week into that 2 week ‘isolation’ period they no longer have the virus....  

Patient B tests positive for SARS-CoV-2 (they have B.1.1.7 variant) they are taken to the same ‘field isolation facility’ and placed into a bed next to patient A, who no longer has the virus but is completing their 2 weeks isolation. 

Can Patient A contract variant B.1.1.7 from Patient B ?????  - You [Danderman123] have suggested they can’t, you have suggested that scientists ‘believed’ they can’t. 

The reason variants are of a specific concern is because ‘virologists’ have outlined that the variants of concern have the ability to evade natural immunity (e.g., causing reinfections) and have the ability to infect vaccinated individuals.

There is no evidence to suggest that an infected individual is protected from contracting more harmful variant strains if they are carrying an existing less harmful variant of different lineage. 

There is a lot of wishful thinking out there, also a lot of paranoia - But suggesting ‘people can’t catch it because they already have it’  is somewhat flawed, because we don't know. 

Precisely.  Exactly the same way that people who are currently fully vaccinated are being reinfected. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, starky said:

Um because 2 of those 3 options are a hospital or a hotel whilst the third is a cot in a tent perhaps? But TIT and if the insurance is paying probably would jack it up just like any other country would.

Insurance isn't necessarily paying.

2 hours ago, Phuketshrew said:

The bottom line is that you labelled me as a "Thai basher" (twice), which I am most certainly not.

Righto I will retract the Thai bashing comment. As for the rest it would blindingly obvious to most what you were trying to infer with your comparison photo. ????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Insurance isn't necessarily paying.

Well that is something each individual should certainly investigate with whoever their private insurer is. I have been informed by mine if I was to be forcibly admitted to a facility which would require me to pay any medical bills that would naturally be covered by my policy.

Any results may vary greatly on each individual policy and level of coverage naturally.

Edited by starky

12 hours ago, expatjustice said:

I don't care. You have no idea of how the law and/or insurers work. 

Is it me, or are you implying that insurances can do whatever they want? Some sort of kings or anything like that. 

The clauses and the contract of my insurance says they will pay for COVID19 treatment, and says nothing about not paying the mandatory "quarantine" (if you will) for any confirmed person.

My particular insurance covers a maximum of 6,000 THB per day a maximum of 45 days for room and standard IPD charges. So that's what they're gonna pay. If I stay 14 days they will pay a maximum of 84,000 THB, anything over that self pay. 

They refuse to pay it, you take it to court, 99 times out of a 100 the judge will rule that they have to reimburse you for the amount which corresponds to your policy.

Don't try to split hairs, reality is way easier and simple.

But but but Insurance Companies employ expert loss adjustors whose expertise is in splitting hairs. Asymptomatic cases don't require treatment and therefore they will not meet the claim as all you are doing is spending 14 nights in a hospitel/5 star luxury resort which appears to be your choice! And I am not a claims adjustor just spent 45 years claiming from recalcitrant companies on behalf of my employers.

54 minutes ago, chilly07 said:

But but but Insurance Companies employ expert loss adjustors whose expertise is in splitting hairs. Asymptomatic cases don't require treatment and therefore they will not meet the claim as all you are doing is spending 14 nights in a hospitel/5 star luxury resort which appears to be your choice! And I am not a claims adjustor just spent 45 years claiming from recalcitrant companies on behalf of my employers.

But you have no other choice even if you ain’t sick, do you? 
The government will force you to spend those 15 days in quarantine… 

So what is gonna happen when they come across some broke farang that has no money, no social security and insurance won’t pay? Leave him at home against government regulations? Government covers his 15 day stay? Deport him??? What do they do? 

Many insurances raised the policy price to include covid.  Why do you think that is???

Edited by expatjustice

Chula Hospital reported 7 cases of stroke from blood clots following Sinovac vaccination.

This is NOT a third wave. We are into a completely new pandemic and, as a country, we’re sure not alone. Brasil, Canada, Germany, Israel, UK, USA & many others.

The difference here is business & govt corruption invited it in. Unlike these others, we were one of only a handful of countries that had Covid beat well before December 2020.

Covid infections in the new pandemic show signs of severe symptoms sooner than 7 days.

In the two outbreaks, virus in blood declined after 7 days. In this new pandemic, virus is remaining in blood for 10+ days.

The current pandemic (UK strain B117?) is putting more young people down with pneumonia.

The Chula doc advocates for a hard 14-day lockdown. The situation today will require more time, at minimum 30 days if we are to follow the countries who had success eradicating Covid. Can we keep the borders shut forever? YES, WE CAN!

“Instead you see hospitals overflowing and us having to resort to using field hospitals to shelter the infected. We went from first world to third world overnight on the issue.”

And the news from India? “It's possible the 250,000 daily cases in India could double within a month, one biostatistician said.” (WaPo) Is that what we want here?

“Justin P[rayuth] Trudeau, the Canadian prime minister, said that vaccines will be available to every Canadian by September. Canada's slower pace stems in part from its reliance on vaccines manufactured overseas.” (WaPo) Sound familiar?

“the U.S. State Department [says] global travel largely remains inadvisable. The department said Monday it plans to give a “Level 4: Do Not Travel” designation to almost 80 percent of countries, citing pandemic health risks” including Thailand (WaPo) How many million tourists is TAT getting ready to welcome?

Naliam, the military’s arch-foe, suggested a workable plan to secure vaccines. Why don’t Thailand’s billionaires start calling in their chips? Makes sense to me.

But maybe circumventing the local production chain of AZ is L-M.

8 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Because field hospitals don’t charge.

2 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Because field hospitals don’t charge.

They don't charge Thais, Asean migrant workers, and expats in the Thai social security system. That leaves out a lot of expats. 

Edited by Jingthing

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

They don't charge Thais, Asean migrant workers, and expats in the Thai social security system. That leaves out a lot of expats. 

Field hospitals don’t have billing systems.

Just because they have “hospital” in their name doesn’t mean they are a hospital. There is literally no one to produce a bill.

1 minute ago, Danderman123 said:

Just because they have “hospital” in their name doesn’t mean they are a hospital. There is literally no one to produce a bill.

You're making that up. Of course they could bill people not included in the free service.

3 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

no.

Just so, but viruses which are more effective at infecting have a proliferation (and therefore evolutionary) advantage, particularly if they are also more severe in their impact on the human body.

Just now, Jingthing said:

You're making that up. Of course they could bill people not included in the free service.

To the best of my knowledge, Thais have never been short of a means of demanding payment. It's one of the very few things they're good at.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ParkerN said:

Just so, but viruses which are more effective at infecting have a proliferation (and therefore evolutionary) advantage, particularly if they are also more severe in their impact on the human body.

Actually, you are half right.  Generally, lethality makes a virus less likely to proliferate. So, the UK variant seems to be more infectious but less deadly (compared to the South African variant).

Edited by Danderman123

3 minutes ago, ParkerN said:

To the best of my knowledge, Thais have never been short of a means of demanding payment. It's one of the very few things they're good at.

Great. Feel free to post the room and board charges for a field hospital.

We’ll wait.

9 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Let us know when that happens.

What’s happening in this topic is you don’t seem familiar with the nature of a field hospital.

Edited by Danderman123

Just now, Danderman123 said:

Actually, you are half right.  Generally, lethality makes a virus less likely to proliferate. So, the UK variant seems to be more infectious nut less deadly (compared to the South African variant).

Not so much wrong as badly worded. Of course, if the virus kills the host it is not so very advantageous. On the other hand, if it  does not kill so much as disables, (and that is the index of 'impact' I was referring to but I accept the poor wording. OTOH, if I meant lethality I would have said lethality. ) then it would be a bit of a handful.

I may be able to learn a bit here, how is the disabling capacity of the UK variant compared with the original?

Just now, Danderman123 said:

Great. Feel free to post the room and board charges for a field hospital.

We’ll wait.

Don't know, but please enjoy your wait. I said they're good at it, I didn't speculate as to 'good in what way?'.

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Yea, never looked at it that way, I guess you must be right. Ok so for poorer Thai's who get covid with mild or no symptoms its fine for a couple of weeks, free food to.

2 minutes ago, ParkerN said:

Not so much wrong as badly worded. Of course, if the virus kills the host it is not so very advantageous. On the other hand, if it  does not kill so much as disables, (and that is the index of 'impact' I was referring to but I accept the poor wording. OTOH, if I meant lethality I would have said lethality. ) then it would be a bit of a handful.

I may be able to learn a bit here, how is the disabling capacity of the UK variant compared with the original?

Given that the UK variant seems to spread so widely, it appears to be more infectious than the originals. But about the same for lethality. The latter is hard to know, because cures for Covid have just been introduced recently.