Majority of Thais doubt govt's ability to cope with latest COVID-19 wave

Jonathan Fairfield

VA3PUEVQN5IFNLCLWSZPQYTA64.jpeg

Thailand's Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha receives an injection of the AstraZeneca coronavirus disease (COVID-19) vaccine at the Government House in Bangkok, Thailand, March 16, 2021. Thailand Government House/Handout via REUTERS

The majority of people in Thailand think the government will be unable to cope with the latest wave of COVID-19 infections and half believe the country experience a fourth wave of infections

According to the latest Suan Dusit poll, some 67 percent of respondents expressed concerns that the government would not be able to control the current outbreak. 

68.04% said they were more anxious about the situation than in the past, while 19.60% of people said they were just as fearful or worried as they had been previously.

Asked for their opinion on the outbreak, 74.29% of respondents said they thought the outbreak was spreading more quickly, while 67.56% said they had sympathy for medical personnel.

When asked about how to protect themselves from COVID-19 during the third wave, overwhelmingly (83.90%) said that wearing a mask outdoors and frequently washing hands was most important, followed by avoiding risky places and crowded areas (79.72%).

The third way people could protect themselves was by social distancing (76.50%), while 71.60% would avoid going outdoors altogether.  65.93% cited the importance of following public health announcements.

Asked whether the government will be able to cope with the third outbreak, only 39.19% said they thought the government would be able to cope, followed by 35.73% unsure and 25.08% said it was unlikely to cope.   

58.89% said they think their will be a fourth wave of infections in Thailand.  

The online poll was conducted between April 16-22 and had 2,082 respondents. 

• Haha 1

1. A Poll

2. An online Petition with over 75,000 signatures and rising fast https://www.change.org/p/เรียกร้องให้-อนุทิน-รัฐมนตรีสธ-ลาออก-จากความล้มเหลวในการแก้ปัญหาการระบาด-covid19?

3. Doctors and Health professional complaining.

Its not just us farangs then? Well aside from one or two in their rose-tinted glasses.....lol

Time for the government to act instead of letting the bodies pile up, a young pregnant woman died from covid here yesterday!

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, RobMuir said:

It is going to be devastating. I hope I am wrong.

Sadly, I don't think you will be proved wrong. This game is nearly over, after which i think some faces will be heading overseas - maybe to look for some nice watches.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, GrandPapillon said:

nobody can seriously think that Thailand was safe and not affected by Covid before this third wave became "official" for bigger numbers?

This Government thought it was safe, and Thailand with its Teflon coating was safe from this virus. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, RobMuir said:

This highly contagious B1.1.7 UK mutant strain.

It is wreaking havoc. They coped quite well with the Wuhan strain, but this one has got quickly out of control.

I stocked up yesterday and will be staying home until it is gone.

Stay safe mate.

You are in for a long haul then as it could be years before it has gone, if ever.  How big is you pantry ? 555

5 minutes ago, Excel said:

You are in for a long haul then as it could be years before it has gone, if ever.  How big is you pantry ? 555

If we run out I will just get it delivered.

Chest freezer full, rice, pasta, kimchi and vegetable garden. 

We are surrounded by jungle so if that falls Thai bush tucker it is.

6 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

If we run out I will just get it delivered.

Chest freezer full, rice, pasta, kimchi and vegetable garden. 

We are surrounded by jungle so if that falls Thai bush tucker it is.

The problem being, cobber, that you won't be able to have any wombat sausages, roo steak, platypus pies or the like!????

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

The problem being, cobber, that you won't be able to have any wombat sausages, roo steak, platypus pies or the like!????

Plenty of goannas and barra down the creek though. And snakes.

She'll be right.

• Like 1