Rich Indians are not fleeing Covid at home and chartering flights to Thailand, says Dr Taweesin

webfact

4pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Thailand's Covid-19 spokesman Dr Taweesin Visanuyotin said that rumors circulating on social media that rich Indians are chartering flights to flee the pandemic in their country - some to Thailand - are without truth.

The matter had been looked into after a meeting with National Security Chief General Natthaphol Nakphanich and was found to be erroneous, reported Daily News

Dr Taweesin said that Thais would be allowed to return on repatriation flights but that CoE - certificates of entry - are already being denied for non-Thais in India.

Thaivisa has reported that the Royal Thai Embassy in New Delhi, the capital of India, has stopped issuing CoE's to non-Thais. 

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-04-26

• Haha 2

Private charter fights are heading for a number of counties.

I would believe the statement more if the CAAT were to announce it.

By the way

28 minutes ago, webfact said:

Dr Taweesin said that' CoE - certificates of entry - are already being denied for non-Thais in India.'

Not quite true

They will stop issuing the certificates from next Saturday. Maybe.

3pm.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

Private charter fights are heading for a number of counties.

I would believe the statement more if the CAAT were to announce it.

By the way

Not quite true

They will stop issuing the certificates from next Saturday. Maybe.

3pm.jpg

And as always with the Thais, if the rich Indians are really fleeing by say private jet to Thailand then rest assured many an official will be welcoming them with open arms and a suit case into which they drop their brown envelopes. 

Arrivals of all non-Thai citizens from India, Pakistan and Bangladesh suspended until further notice

F18A2326-6B0B-42AA-A172-209CB60B9FDF.jpg

Thailand’s Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) has temporarily suspended all arrivals of non-Thai citizens from India, Pakistan and Bangladesh, in an escalated effort to prevent the spread of a new COVID-19 variant into Thailand.

Arrivals of Thai nationals from these three South Asian countries are allowed, but they are subject to 21-day mandatory state quarantine, instead of 14.

The tougher restrictions come after seven Indian nationals, who arrived in Thailand on April 17th among 149 passengers on Air India flight AI0332, were found to be infected and were sent to hospitals for treatment.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/arrivals-of-all-non-thai-citizens-from-india-pakistan-and-bangladesh-suspended-until-further-notice/

Logo-top-.png
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, RichardColeman said:

Amazing that the world is sending any aid to India - a country sacrificing health programs with Space Programs. 

The Indian government is promoting space programs, not the hundreds of millions of poor Indians who are suffering. So which countries do you consider it is ok to send aid to then ?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Excel said:

The Indian government is promoting space programs, not the hundreds of millions of poor Indians who are suffering. So which countries do you consider it is ok to send aid to then ?

Oh, I agree with you - the aid should come with a caveat - abandon the space program and sort your health system out first. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, RichardColeman said:

Oh, I agree with you - the aid should come with a caveat - abandon the space program and sort your health system out first. 

Actually I agree to you up to a point but it is never going to happen. If only the world's countries could collaborate together with joint funding for any scientific or exploration programs the world would be a better place with those financial savings going to support the needy and poor. However that may seem like utopia and just for the human race to develop that far will take a few more centuries I suspect

• Like 1

3 hours ago, J Town said:

Well, if you say so, it must be true.

However, if you ask Uncle Google, then SOMEONE is wrong. Many articles saying they ARE fleeing, lots of flights filled to capacity getting the heck out asap.

Fleeing quite possibly but to a country which itself is experiencing a big spike in COVID and has mandatory quarantine on arrival? And which limits which planes are allowed to fly in? I much doubt this would be people's first choice.

Since no one can enter Thailand without a COE, easiest thing in the world to verify  if there has been an increase from India.

i suspect just the "Misinformation Highway" at work here. Doesn't take much to start a rumor on social media. Probably based on the 7 cases identified among arrivals recently. (Who came on a normal commercial aircraft etc)

• Like 2

It was an Indian returning to Perth after going there for his own wedding and catching Corona virus that has put Perth into a 3 day lockdown. Might be longer. Ban all Indians from any international travel !!  NOW !!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Dr Taweesin Visanuyotin said that rumors circulating on social media that rich Indians are chartering flights to flee the pandemic in their country - some to Thailand - are without truth.

Indeed, a lot of them will go to England instead.

They will need to quarantine for a while on arrival but that's no different and a lot less hassle I believe.

The difference is what they walk into when they come out of their quarantine.....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Excel said:

The citizens of your own country 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Amazing that the world is sending any aid to India - a country sacrificing health programs with Space Programs. 

Just the same as another Country here in SE Asia.

Its just they havnt got the aid yet.

Rich Indians are not fleeing Covid at home and chartering flights to Thailand, says Dr Taweesin

Nope, they headed to the UK where they are treated as humans beings instead of buffalo excrement.  Thais have no love for their kon keark Indian neighbors.  Like ai kon farangs and other foreigners, Thais only love their money.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, webfact said:

rich Indians are chartering flights to flee the pandemic in their country - some to Thailand - are without truth.

Oh really - rubbish!!

For reference (Yahoo News):-

• India's uber-rich are fleeing the country on private jets as new travel bans come into place. 

• The country is currently battling a catastrophic second coronavirus wave.

• Local media reports say many people chose to fly to Dubai, which is close by.

• India's ultra-rich are paying tens and thousands of dollars to escape the country. 

https://news.yahoo.com/indias-richest-people-fleeing-private-100525360.html

• Like 2

7 hours ago, J Town said:

However, if you ask Uncle Google, then SOMEONE is wrong. Many articles saying they ARE fleeing, lots of flights filled to capacity getting the heck out asap.

I wonder which countries are they heading to? I think more and more countries will shut their borders to visitors from India soon.

https://www.outlookindia.com/outlooktraveller/travelnews/story/71454/these-are-the-countries-who-have-banned-travellers-from-india

Thailand is too slow as usual.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The tougher restrictions come after seven Indian nationals, who arrived in Thailand on April 17th among 149 passengers on Air India flight AI0332, were found to be infected and were sent to hospitals for treatment.

Aren't they supposed to be Covid free before taking the plane? It seems that one can fake Covid free cert.

7 hours ago, J Town said:

Selfish p*icks! Carrying the Indian strain to start the FOURTH pandemic.

4 hours ago, ukrules said:

Indeed, a lot of them will go to England instead.

They will need to quarantine for a while on arrival but that's no different and a lot less hassle I believe.

The difference is what they walk into when they come out of their quarantine.....

Not unless they have British/Irish passports or "residency rights".  India made it on to the red list last week.

1 hour ago, Upnotover said:

Not unless they have British/Irish passports or "residency rights".  India made it on to the red list last week.

It's funny how large sums of money and wealth can grease the skids.  I read last night in a Western media rag that Heathrow was getting deluged with private jets from India trying to beat the April 26 4am Covid cutoff allowing flights from India to land..  Given the long standing connection between the British Empire and India, many 'Rich' Indians probably hold dual citizenship or some form of residency.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Yet, developed nations imported pharma products worth $24bill from India in 2019

18 hours ago, J Town said:

Notice he carefully said they're not chartering flights to flee.  No need yet.  The masses are flying commercial, and the super wealthy are flying on their own planes.  No charters...

• Like 2

20 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand's Covid-19 spokesman Dr Taweesin Visanuyotin said that rumors circulating on social media that rich Indians are chartering flights to flee the pandemic in their country - some to Thailand - are without truth

Last year they were trying to entice them in, now they're not?

If any Indians have interests over here and can afford quarantine I think they would be on  a plane if possible.

19 hours ago, webfact said:

Arrivals of Thai nationals from these three South Asian countries are allowed, but they are subject to 21-day mandatory state quarantine, instead of 14.

Must be a bad strain.

18 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

In normal circumstances India has a really good health system.

20 hours ago, Excel said:

It is a rock and a hard place situation isn't it? We (the UK) send aid to both India and Pakistan. Both countries are competing in an arms race ( which includes nuclear weapons and delivery systems). India has a space programme. Pakistan's government and judiciary effectively condone discrimination against women, and widespread persecution and even lynching of Christians is again condoned, and it's perpetrators go unpunished. Yet millions In both countries try to survive in grinding poverty, with virtually no health care, and are desperate for any aid which can reach them. Suspicion abounds that much of the aid is misused. Yet it would be so wrong to turn our back on those in need.

Sometimes I think that the corruption and wickedness makes the venality here look like a chimps tea party!