Fines for not wearing masks outside: Police can use their discretion, says RTP spokesman

webfact

12 minutes ago, John Drake said:

"at the moment?"  So this entire fine setup can just be another shakedown. Discretion? What will "discretion" mean for Westerners caught out with a broken mask or scratching their nose? 

I'm sure there are exceptions such as a broken or stuffed nose or those with underlying health conditions affecting their breathing whilst wearing a mask.

18 minutes ago, anchadian said:

I'm sure there are exceptions such as a broken or stuffed nose or those with underlying health conditions affecting their breathing whilst wearing a mask.

Dream and dream big I guess. If they want to fine you or arrest you for failing to abide by the rule then stand by.  Nothing says you can not wear your oxygen mask if you need oxygen from your portable machine.  One has to wonder if those stupid face shields would be accepted or not, without wearing a mask underneath.

Edited by ThailandRyan

So you can walk around naked but with a mask,500 baht fine.

Walk around naked ,also no mask,6500 baht fine.

Wear your clothes and no mask,6000 baht fine.

Ride your motorbike while wearing only a mask,how much would that be?

Lots of options here,choose wisely.

Edited by jvs
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Pol Maj-Gen Yingyot Thepjamnong said that the standard fines at the moment for first, second and third offences are 6,000, 12,000 and 20,000 baht respectively. 

20,000 baht to the average Thai is a lot of money.

If we are taking into account that the national minimum wage is 320 baht, that is a whopping 62 times a locals daily salary.

Either the authorities have got the fine structure all wrong or they are specifically looking at targeting wealthy westerners.   

Edited by WineOh
  • Like 2

Wouldn't worry too much; been out twice to Supermarkets the last two days already and seen dozens of Thai's not wearing Masks in Cars, not wearing Seatbelts, Kids jumping around in the Cars, all the usual stuff with Bikers not wearing Helmets and some no Masks either.   Not a Cop to be seen, no Road checks, zilch.   It's all just another 48 hour 'Clampdown'; Cops will collect a few thousand Baht for the Bin here and there and then all forgotten as all Clampdowns are.    Been here nearly 15 years and seen about a thousand Clampdowns and none have lasted more than 72 hours tops !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Anyone know how much the authorities get for promoting hand sanitizer and water ? You never see a bottle facing away from the camera 

8pm.jpg

what are to odds he took that mask off once they turned off the cameras 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

Whats the fine for threatening someone with a machete? Im still waiting on the Police to get back to me on that one, from the other day , which is  odd  because  i  think if  i  got  out of  my car and threatened a  Thai with a machete it  may be a  slightly  different "cue mad farang threatens Thai nationwide tv event" + he wasnt wearing a mask, expect the mask wearing is the serious  issue  though, maybe I should go back to the Police and mention that

loony.jpg

Please tell us more details Gunder.   Where did this happen and what were the circumstances leading up to it?

Did the police arrive and if so who called them?

Curious minds would like to know.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

Whats the fine for threatening someone with a machete? Im still waiting on the Police to get back to me on that one, from the other day , which is  odd  because  i  think if  i  got  out of  my car and threatened a  Thai with a machete it  may be a  slightly  different "cue mad farang threatens Thai nationwide tv event" + he wasnt wearing a mask, expect the mask wearing is the serious  issue  though, maybe I should go back to the Police and mention that

loony.jpg

You should have filmed it and put it on social media mate, seems to get the job done these days. Shame the man-children into action. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

Wouldn't worry too much; been out twice to Supermarkets the last two days already and seen dozens of Thai's not wearing Masks in Cars, not wearing Seatbelts, Kids jumping around in the Cars, all the usual stuff with Bikers not wearing Helmets and some no Masks either.   Not a Cop to be seen, no Road checks, zilch.   It's all just another 48 hour 'Clampdown'; Cops will collect a few thousand Baht for the Bin here and there and then all forgotten as all Clampdowns are.    Been here nearly 15 years and seen about a thousand Clampdowns and none have lasted more than 72 hours tops !

So last years Curfew and semi lockdowns only lasted 72 hours, is that what I am hearing you say?  OMG, the horror.