Significant progress reported in AstraZeneca vaccine production in Thailand

snoop1130

4 hours ago, ryane66 said:

EU is sueing AstraZenaca for missed deliveries, 75% short. They gave up with AZ and just signed a deal with Pfizer for 1.8 billion doses.

Where there is smoke, there is fire.

7 minutes ago, nkg said:

According to Reuters, Thailand made an initial order of 26 million, and ordered another 35 million in January.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-thailand-idUSKBN29A0VF

This is fairly typical of the confusing articles about AZ orders.

They refer to the initial 26million order from SB, and then say they have ordered another 35million from AZ, without specifically saying that 35m is from SB.

So, it could just be an AZ order and it will get fulfilled from SB or elsewhere.

But I would be surprised if they had not upped that initial SB order.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, nkg said:

According to Reuters, Thailand made an initial order of 26 million, and ordered another 35 million in January.

I love Reuters and Wiki, just would like to hear these plans presented by some government functionary.

In that Reuters article: 

The country will receive delivery from AstraZeneca ahead of schedule before the second quarter, Kiattaphum Wongrachit, permanent health secretary, said in a statement.

"before the second quarter"? Maybe he meant "ends"? So maybe some AZ, from somewhere, by 30 June?

So 61 million AZ doses on order, and some/many/most/all might be produced by SB? 

And these will be delivered in batches? Any detail on the bach size and delivery dates?

I guess I forgot about the 26 m order, and missed the 35 m order. Thanks for those links.

Or maybe he 35m "order" is for another vaccine? Why keep that secret?

Given the current vaccination rates it will be interesting to see how they ramp up from 10k-20k per day to a 100k+/day.

Edited by mtls2005
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

afaik it's someone about who we are not allowed to talk here

Let's me just give you a clue, the main financial partner of Siam Bioscience is Siam Cement Group (With that, Wiki should give you the answer to your question)

It’s already a very well known secret that nobody, especially Thai people ever share. I really have no idea ????????

Too bad most employees already surveyed at Air Asia said : No Thank you.

Not a high vote of confidence from the troops at Don Mueang or Suvanabhumi.

Where is the USA or Europe serums. 

Educated locals are already apprehensive about the Thai Minister of Health as well as the Medical Professional community requesting The Minister to Step down.

Now the only recourse is a vaccine produced in Thailand?   

Just now, Bradmeister said:

Too bad most employees already surveyed at Air Asia said : No Thank you.

Not a high vote of confidence from the troops at Don Mueang or Suvanabhumi.

Where is the USA or Europe serums. 

Educated locals are already apprehensive about the Thai Minister of Health as well as the Medical Professional community requesting The Minister to Step down.

Now the only recourse is a vaccine produced in Thailand?   

I live in a rural Thai village filled with uneducated dolts (no disrespect intended).  They watch TV.  Some government nurse came through here pushing the Chinese vaccine not long ago and nobody wanted it.  Even the nurse pushing it announced that she would not get it.  I can promise you, these poeple may not be the brightest bulbs in the room, but they are not completely stupid either.  They are not going to want ANY vaccine produced in Thailand.  Everybody I have asked has said they would take Pfizer, Moderna or nothing.  If this country wants to get serious about vaccines, they need to stop monkeying around trying to grab quick profits and buy the Western vaccine.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, John435 said:

Delivering 1 million doses to Thailand per month (after June) seems like a bit of a drop in the ocean, given than we we need 100 million doses now. 

1 million a month that 65 months until everybody vaccinated????

3 hours ago, Bigz said:

Pfizer seems to be better aswell

AZ and Pfizer both work but Pfizer has serious transportation and storage issues. For distribution, the J&J, Sputnik and Sinovac make more sense. Less doses required as well as easy to store and handle.

Just now, flyfrog said:

1 million a month that 65 months until everybody vaccinated????

Two doses required so  130 months.  And, it is likely to need re-vaccination every year

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

What qualifies as "significant progress"? 

And what is the size of this batch? And which date in June? June 31? I'm assuming they mean 2021 of course.

I’m not sure what the date will be, but pretty certain it won’t be June 31st.

30 days hath September, April .......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, bluesofa said:

When they start production in June, I wonder if they will fulfil all of Thailand's needs before starting to export elsewhere?

That's what they call vaccine nationalism...Western countries have been copping a lot of s*it for it, so they will *need* to export while also satisfying the needs of the Siamese

58 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

I’m not sure what the date will be, but pretty certain it won’t be June 31st.

30 days hath September, April .......

And did the sarcasm go over your head?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cjinchiangrai said:

AZ and Pfizer both work but Pfizer has serious transportation and storage issues. For distribution, the J&J, Sputnik and Sinovac make more sense. Less doses required as well as easy to store and handle.

Hardly anybody wants the sinovac due to its poor efficacy.

5 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

The delay is frustrating but I would rather they took longer and got it right than rush ahead.

We are going to be sticking this stuff into people after all.

Haven’t really grasped this ‘comparative risk' concept yet ?

6 hours ago, John435 said:

Delivering 1 million doses to Thailand per month (after June) seems like a bit of a drop in the ocean, given than we we need 100 million doses now. 

As India has seen fit to commandeer Serum Institute's entire production of AZ vaccine previously contracted to other countries, what is stopping Thailand from doing the same? Thailand could be exploring vaccines that are advanced in the the trial pipeline which are not yet inundated with orders.

5 hours ago, newnative said:

So, they're 'speeding things up' but it's still going to be far off June before any vaccine is produced.  June was the original date so where exactly is the 'speeding up'???   Meanwhile, why can't AZ send some vaccines NOW to bridge the long gap before local production starts?

We should ask Biden to share some AZ from their stock.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, newnative said:

So, they're 'speeding things up' but it's still going to be far off June before any vaccine is produced.  June was the original date so where exactly is the 'speeding up'???   Meanwhile, why can't AZ send some vaccines NOW to bridge the long gap before local production starts?

Just now, placnx said:

We should ask Biden to share some AZ from their stock.

I should imagine that both Astra Zenneca and Mr Biden's administration are under no illusions that releasing stocks of vaccine to Thailand which are equally urgently required elsewhere may likely simply serve to feather some already well stuffed nests.

Thailand's biggest problem in negotiating any such deals is quite possibly international trust and goodwill in such matters.

I do understand that one could be criticised for linking medical provision to construction projects (although it doesn't seem to matter when it comes to ministerial appointments!) but "Hopewell" anybody?

Reap what you sow and all that...

5 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

the price differential will be insignificant. 

The question is how AZ is doing protecting Indians from the double-mutant variant. If there is any problem there, it would be very cost effective to get Pfizer/Moderna and so enable Thailand be considered safe for tourists.

If the Thai population does not soon reach herd immunity through vaccination, it may be years before tourists feel safe to come here, as reputational damage and other safe destinations gaining popularity put more obstacles in front of revival of the Thai tourist industry.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kiujunn said:

Blood clotting is a life threatening side-effect of AZ but only affects young women. 

Have you ever seen any young women in Thailand? 

Absolute garbage, against the rules to post misinformation.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DLock said:

Most of these vaccines are for export.

Whilst these are manufactured in Thailand, they do not belong to Thailand - the belong to AZ, who has orders from around the world.

Thailand will order and be in the queue just like anyone else...

I recently posted about India - commandeering the AZ production destined for export. The failure of India to be the vaccine supplier to the world in this case should be ringing alarm bells about the inability of the world, really US, Germany, UK, and other technically sophisticated countries, to realize by now that overall vaccine production capacity is inadequate for dealing with this pandemic. Some time ago they should have been building more production facilities on an emergency basis. The obvious shortfall in production capacity of SB here is a cameo in the big picture.

57 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

Haven’t really grasped this ‘comparative risk' concept yet ?

Which comparative risk concept?

The comparative risk of taking a properly prepared and tested vaccine or the comparative risk of taking one which has been rushed out the factory gates?

I will have no issues taking any of the western vaccines as long as they have been produced to western standards.

4 hours ago, DLock said:

Whilst these are manufactured in Thailand, they do not belong to Thailand - the belong to AZ, who has orders from around the world.

You mean like the UK, EU and India where the governments have restricted export.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Which comparative risk concept?

The comparative risk of taking a properly prepared and tested vaccine or the comparative risk of taking one which has been rushed out the factory gates?

I will have no issues taking any of the western vaccines as long as they have been produced to western standards.

The comparative risk of NOT taking AZ vaccine which has had minimal incidents of blood clot vs not taking one and risking Covid infection while you wait for another one you think has slightly less risk