How are you feeling? Help from embassy?

senso6996

Here is how the US Consulate is helping:

U.S. citizens in northern Thailand can find more information about Thailand’s vaccination program and the COVID situation through the following sources. The Chiang Mai Provincial Public Health Office has a Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/Chiangmaidatacenter) with updates about the COVID-19 situation and vaccinations.  This page is in Thai, but the translate function in Facebook provides a basic translation. See https://www.facebook.com/help/509936952489634?helpref=faq_content for more information about the Facebook translate function. U.S. citizens should also follow English-language updates from the Center for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/thailandprd/) for updates. 

For questions about vaccine registration, U.S. citizens can contact the Chiang Mai COVID-19 Vaccine Center, which has English-speaking staff, by emailing [email protected].

Additionally, U.S. citizens can visit the COVID-19 Information page of the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok for the latest information.

Other resources include:

·     Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT): Updates available on their website (https://www.tatnews.org/category/thailand-tourism-updates/) or by calling the TAT Call Center at +66 2 250 5500 or 1672 from within Thailand.

·     Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs: Updates in English available on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/user/mfathailand).

·     Thai Government Public Relations Department: Updates on their website (https://thailand.prd.go.th/main.php?filename=index) and on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/thailandprd/).

Pretty impressive???

• Haha 2

Embassies will tell to you follow government guidelines and or register at your private hospital, preferably the one you have history at, mine did anyway........  I was waiting for a 'good luck'....... 

2 minutes ago, CANSIAM said:

Embassies will tell to you follow government guidelines and or register at your private hospital, preferably the one you have history at, mine did anyway........  I was waiting for a 'good luck'....... 

It would be, 'good luck and don't bother us again'. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CANSIAM said:

total cope out 

35 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

How? By illegally importing vaccines? AFAIK most embassies get their staff vaccinated in their home countries

why illegally?  They can come to an agreement about importing vaccines.  isn't that what 'diplomats' are supposed to do and be good at, or are they useless at that too?  

Edited by Pilotman
  • Like 1

On 5/19/2021 at 6:10 PM, senso6996 said:

The best vaccines were developed in the west. And large parts of it were exported to the rest of the world. But here in Thailand the Farangs are at the end of the line. How are you feeling? Do you think our embassy can help us?

Our Embassies are helping us out. They are lobbying the Thai government to ensure we will receive the vaccines.

I would like our Embassies to lobby more firmly to ensure we (foreigners) are not at the back of the queue but ensure that those foreigners in high risk groups receive vaccines at an equal time to those Thai’s in the high risk groups while the remainder of us are given the option to receive the vaccine at the same time as the remainder of the Thai population. 

I can also go home and get the vaccine. 

Additionally, your argument is fundamentally flawed; Siam Bioscience is producing the Oxford Astra Zeneca vaccine. Most of the vaccines produced will be exported. 

Thailands mistake was not to order a significant number of vaccines from different suppliers / Pharma companies early enough. 

The mistake of any Briton complaining of not having received the vaccine by now is not having returned to their home country where they can receive the vaccine. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Pilotman said:

there are lots of posts on this subject on TVF, they are uniformly very critical of the useless Embassies and the almost total lack of support and help to their Citizens during this pandemic.

That just means they are uniformly incorrect in their understanding of the role of an Embassy. 

A high volume of incorrect opinions do not make any of those opinions more correct. 

The role of our Embassy is not to extend pubic health care beyond borders. But it can take on the mission to ensure we are included in our host nations plans. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

That just means they are uniformly incorrect in their understanding of the role of an Embassy. 

A high volume of incorrect opinions do not make any of those opinions more correct. 

The role of our Embassy is not to extend pubic health care beyond borders. But it can take on the mission to ensure we are included in our host nations plans. 

And they uniformly fail in that ,as they do in supporting commercial activity and trade. I know, as I have had to deal with various UK embassies over the years.  Apart from the Mission in Taipei they have been hopeless. 

7 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I would take that a step further and say the primary Mission of Embassies is not to meet the needs of their citizens abroad, and Embassies are nto located and staffed with that end in mind. Most do offer basic consular services but this is tangential to their primary purpose which is to further the political interests of their governement.

A surprising number of expats seem to think Embassies exist primarily to service the expat community. Naturally that leads to immense disappointment and displeasure when it runs into the reality of how limited their support for their nationals abroad actually is.

Absolutely agreed about the primary purpose, that and trade. Meeting the needs of citizens abroad is somewhere down the bottom of the list. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

Here is how the US Consulate is helping:

U.S. citizens in northern Thailand can find more information about Thailand’s vaccination program and the COVID situation through the following sources. The Chiang Mai Provincial Public Health Office has a Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/Chiangmaidatacenter) with updates about the COVID-19 situation and vaccinations.  This page is in Thai, but the translate function in Facebook provides a basic translation. See https://www.facebook.com/help/509936952489634?helpref=faq_content for more information about the Facebook translate function. U.S. citizens should also follow English-language updates from the Center for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/thailandprd/) for updates. 

For questions about vaccine registration, U.S. citizens can contact the Chiang Mai COVID-19 Vaccine Center, which has English-speaking staff, by emailing [email protected].

Additionally, U.S. citizens can visit the COVID-19 Information page of the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok for the latest information.

Other resources include:

·     Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT): Updates available on their website (https://www.tatnews.org/category/thailand-tourism-updates/) or by calling the TAT Call Center at +66 2 250 5500 or 1672 from within Thailand.

·     Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs: Updates in English available on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/user/mfathailand).

·     Thai Government Public Relations Department: Updates on their website (https://thailand.prd.go.th/main.php?filename=index) and on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/thailandprd/).

Pretty impressive???

No.

Deflection.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

And they uniformly fail in that ,

How do you know ?

as they do in supporting commercial activity and trade.

How do you know ?

I know, as I have had to deal with various UK embassies over the years. 

Vague, how do you know ?

Apart from the Mission in Taipei they have been hopeless. 

All British Embassies have provide what I’ve needed when I’ve needed it. Of course they have, I’ve not expected more than I understand they can provide. 

I don’t expect them to vaccinate me. 

I don’t expect them to provide legal documents verifying my income when that’s impossible. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thats because most people seem to think that because they are on foreign soil that the Embassy of country they moved away from should be some form of safety net, thats no the role of a foreign mission. So many people completely misunderstand the role of their Embassy which is to protect the interest of the Nation it represents 

If receiving a vaccine was so important to me, I’d be home already and would have taken the vaccine. 

Why should the UK government vaccinate me in Thailand ahead of all the Thai’s. Should the UK government also distribute vaccines around Thailand for all the British expats around the country? the ones who are now moaning, but would also moan because they’d have to travel to BKK or another location out of their way ?

Should the families of US British nationals living in Thailand also receive the vaccine from the British Embassy ? if not, why not ?

Should the British Government bring in 110,000 doses for the 55,000 British Expats in Thailand, then distribute them to British Expats around Thailand, Wifes ? or other people in the same household ?... perhaps 200,000 doses required ?>>

Or should it work on assisting the Thai government and also lobbying the Thai government to ensure the British Nationals are part of Thailands vaccination efforts?

I do expect things of my Embassy, but only those things considered responsibility of a mission on foreign soil. 

I think it completely ridiculous to expect the British Embassy to import vaccines. But, I do fully expect the Mission officers and British Ambassador to strongly lobby the Thai government to ensure that all British Nationals (and all other foreigners) are treated equally and fairly when it comes to receiving Covid-19 vaccines and all ‘other issues’.

Well I still pay income tax in the UK after Living here over 11 years!

If I go back I would not qualify for NHS "Treatment" for the first 6 months of repatriation and also if I stay here My State Pension will be frozen assuming I can get it when/if I make it to 67 YO?

I earned good money, but paid huge amounts of Tax and NI!

I am self insured in Thailand (will not pay ridiculous Expat Premiums!) ....

If the SH!TE Hits The Fan ....So be it!

????

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mario666 said:

Well I still pay income tax in the UK after Living here over 11 years!

If I go back I would not qualify for NHS "Treatment" for the first 6 months of repatriation and also if I stay here My State Pension will be frozen assuming I can get it when/if I make it to 67 YO?

I earned good money, but paid huge amounts of Tax and NI!

I am self insured in Thailand (will not pay ridiculous Expat Premiums!) ....

If the SH!TE Hits The Fan ....So be it!

????

Rubbish, if you go back you will receive Full NHS treatment - no questions asked. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

I used to have to deal with the British embassy 25 yrs ago,they were as much use as a chocolate spoon ,they have gone downhill since then

As useless now as Eunuch in a brothel. 

29 minutes ago, friendofthai said:

That's interesting. 

Here's another report that shows that the U.S. embassies could offer doses to Americans abroad if they wanted to. Not their normal role but they could still do it.

Start at 7:31

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

That's interesting. 

Here's another report that shows that the U.S. embassies could offer doses to Americans abroad if they wanted to. Not their normal role but they could still do it.

Start at 7:47

How many US Citizens are there in Thailand??? 50,000 ???

How many could be vaccinated in a day?

Embassy could employ 2 Nurses to vaccinate a steady stream.

i.e. a patient is vaccinated every 5 mins (which I think is realistic).

x2 Nurses - thats 24 per vaccinations per hour.

Operating on an 8 hour day - thats 192 vaccinations per day.

960 vaccinations per 5 day week.

It would take 52 weeks to vaccinate 50,000 the US Citizens in Thailand. 

Step up the rate

Employ 5 Nurses to vaccinate a steady stream

Increase the Vaccination rate of a person every 2 minutes (is that even possible?).

x5 nurses -  thats 150 vaccinations per hour.

Operating on an 8 hour day - thats 1200 vaccinations per day.

6000 vaccinations per 5 day week.

It would take 8.3 weeks to vaccinate 50,000 US Citizens in Thailand. 

Thats just for one round. What about the second round ?

What about family, Wives etc ?

Can the US Embassy say they will vaccinate its citizens but not their Foreign spouses ?

Can the US Embassy physically handle 150 people through its gates every hour while still socially isolating ?

I guess it could be done somewhere in Public, like hotel Ball room etc, which removes the security issue. 

So... Yep, it could be done. 

But, will people even bother coming from all over the country ??? No.

So, the US Embassy would have to distribute vaccines to key provincial centres ? where?

Hospitals ? - can it the US Embassy say, here are the vaccines but they’re not for Thai’s ?

Then what of all the complains that some people want a certain type of vaccines... etc etc.

It’s quite a minefield and most people still can’t be pleased. 

The best think our Embassies can do is to ensure that we ‘foreigners in Thailand’ are accommodated along side Thai citizens. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

So sad. All the angry demands for care. Get over yourselves. The taxpayers of your country pay for the services provided  and they do not wish to support people who moved away for person pleasure or profit. If you want better quality service, get it in your country. Your governments have no moral or legal responsibility to provide medical care for you in Thailand. You made the decision to move to Thailand because you wanted to go, because you saw it as a better place to live. Fine. Accept the consequence of that decision.  If you want a vaccine, do what your fellow country people do and get it at a facility in your home country.

1 minute ago, Patong2021 said:

So sad. All the angry demands for care. Get over yourselves. The taxpayers of your country pay for the services provided  and they do not wish to support people who moved away for person pleasure or profit. If you want better quality service, get it in your country. Your governments have no moral or legal responsibility to provide medical care for you in Thailand. You made the decision to move to Thailand because you wanted to go, because you saw it as a better place to live. Fine. Accept the consequence of that decision.  If you want a vaccine, do what your fellow country people do and get it at a facility in your home country.

That's much less compelling argument to Americans who are required to "keep in touch" with the IRS and treasury or potentially face devastating penalties.