Phuket’s speedy vaccine rollout - 50% of population already vaccinated

webfact

66.jpg

Picture: Phuket Hot News

There has been a lot written about the delays in people receiving the vaccine in Thailand.

However, in Phuket, the speedy rollout of the vaccine means the island is now well on course to reach its target of vaccinating 70% of the local population ahead of its planned re-opening to foreign tourists on July 1.

On Thursday (May 27), Phuket governor Narong Woonciew revealed that 50% of the local population of Phuket have already been vaccinated. 

And if all those who have registered receive the vaccination, then 65% of the island will have been vaccinated.

Narong thanked people in Phuket for their cooperation in receiving the vaccination.

However, he said that another drive will now take place to ensure the remaining people will be vaccinated, Phuket Hot News reported. 

This includes some 80,000 people who have not yet registered to receive the vaccine.

Village headmen and volunteers will go door-to-door inviting people to register. Those who register will be able to receive the first dose of the vaccine immediately, the governor said. 

As well as at public hospitals, there are six locations in Phuket where locals can get innoculated: Saphan Hin gymnasium, the Angsana Laguna Phuket Hotel, Phuket Orchid Resort and Spa Karon, X Terminal at Phuket Airport, the Jungceylon Shopping Center and Central Phuket Floresta.

A total of 310,000 people will be vaccinated before the island reopens to tourists on July 1, the governor said. 

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-05-28

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ourmanflint said:

If this means they have all just had 1st dose of sinovac, they will need to keep going until 70% have had 2nd dose. Sinovac not that great until 2nd dose

Tourists will have 2 dose and 2 negative swabs. Risk will be minimal but of course whatever vax they used will need 2 dose eventually just like everywhere else. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ourmanflint said:

If this means they have all just had 1st dose of sinovac, they will need to keep going until 70% have had 2nd dose. Sinovac not that great until 2nd dose

That's very good but what about the thousands who will come from all over Thailand once it opens up to tourists no way this will work it should be all or nothing .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, madmen said:

Tourists will have 2 dose and 2 negative swabs. Risk will be minimal but of course whatever vax they used will need 2 dose eventually just like everywhere else. 

ONLY SHORT TIME OK

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

With the 50 % efficacy rate from some studies on Sinovac.

The fact many people do not want to get it.

And, most concerning I think is the potential for fraud involving proof of vaccination.  Even the US proof of vaccination document that I have seen looks pretty flimsy making fraudulent ones probably will not be very difficult.

Good luck Phuket.

Edited by bkk6060

Samui is on second day of vaccines for Thais 18 to 59 using sinovac . i had a look around and both sites very little turn out. i think they allocated slots for 1500 people maybe they only got less than half . the time was almost due to close . 

A few farang guys were having a talk to say that lots of vaccine is left over could they get  

a chance of a jab all under 40 i would say . But No they were turned away Thais only. it would make more sense if they took details and done the job but no way . 

• Sad 3

47 minutes ago, fdsa said:

I want to get vaccinated too. Does anyone know where I could purchase a Moderna or Pfizer vaccine?

Have to wait for the private hospitals to get the vaccines i recon September October ? if before I'm in to get it done should be around 3000thb for the 2 jabs choice of vaccine also 

3 hours ago, webfact said:

However, in Phuket, the speedy rollout of the vaccine means the island is now well on course to reach its target of vaccinating 70% of the local population ahead of its planned re-opening to foreign tourists on July 1.

So they get the vaccines while the rest of the country including Bangkok suffer.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1