SURVEY: Would you leave to get vaccinated?

Scott

SURVEY: Would you leave to get vaccinated?  

314 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

9 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I am sure we all want to know first hand knowledge from a TVF member who's had it.

Wow , that is a first ..

Law of averages , many farlangs , must have had Covid ..

They just dont have the balls , to be open about it.  

10 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I am sure we all want to know first hand knowledge from a TVF member who's had it.

Wow , that is a first ..

55 minutes ago, connda said:

I don't see why not.  Pre-Covid if you had the flu, you would post "I had the flu last week blah blah blah", and people would wish you well, not chastise you for not getting a test to make sure it was really the flu.  It's pretty much assumed that any flu symptoms nowadays is Covid even if it isn't. 

I think one has to agree that the Flu and Covid are two totally separate viruses and if someone posts they had Covid, well they should be able to back it up, we all know what the Flu symptoms are, Covid on the other hand, well, we can agree to disagree.

The reason I suggested a blood test is for confirmation, that is the way I work, I analyse things, I like to know what it is, and a blood test at a lab, no hospital can be private, you pick up your results or they can call you, no need to isolate or quarantine.

I am like you, if I ended up with Covid, I would avoid hospital until I actually needed to go and of course would isolate, who wants to be in a field hospital or hospital when you can recover at home, i.e. unless it's getting out of hand.

I wasn't chastising Britman, I was merely suggesting that he doesn't say he had Covid, or anything else for that matter unless he has a confirmation. In other words it would wrong for me to say I had Covid last year when I had similar symptoms when it was a chest infection, i.e. it was confirmed, now had I stated that I had Covid without going to the hospital, that would be misrepresenting what I had, wouldn't it ?

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

Even more telling is when you compare new daily cases per capita (per million of population) since it puts all of those countries on an even footing for comparison, and only includes new cases which gives a better idea of how fast cases are increasing or decreasing.

WHen you look at this graph, there's no question that for an unvaccinated person, Thailand is the place to be if you are not yet vaccinated ????  (click on map for better resolution)

What's more, historically, Thailand has managed this pandemic FAR better than any of these other countries.

832357302_snapshot_2021-05-30at11_25_39AM.jpg.6f0fb84311c899d65540728e4b69a0c1.jpg

IMHO many of the posts in this thread highlight a specific point - the need to very urgently get on with mass vaccinations using large numbers of easily accessible sites, and at each site 100,000 + (and more) inoculations administered every day. I read earlier today there are several very large vaccination sites operating in the US 24 hrs a day.

Currently there's at least 20 different systems of registration and there's just confusion and chaos. Needs some level heads to get on top of this but also an urgent need for mass walk-in inoculations.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, connda said:

I don't see why not.  Pre-Covid if you had the flu, you would post "I had the flu last week blah blah blah", and people would wish you well, not chastise you for not getting a test to make sure it was really the flu.  It's pretty much assumed that any flu symptoms nowadays is Covid even if it isn't. 

I'm fairly certain that if I'd posted I had serious symptoms and was in hospital on a respirator for 3 weeks, nobody would have questioned my COVID claims.

But the reality is, for most people who catch COVID, it's only a minor inconvenience. The only tested person I know who had COVID (pal of my misses from university) tested positive after 'Warm-up Cafe' tracing, and was locked up in COVID prison for 2 weeks, no symptoms of any kind.

Which is totally against the ThaiVISA, 'COVID is serious' propaganda campaign.

Which brings me back to the question, if COVID is so serious for us old sick guys ........... why am I the only ThaiVISA poster claiming to have had it? Surely half of us should have been sick or dying in hospital by now? 

Even Jeffr2 ....... COVID fear-monger extraordinaire, can only claim a distant friend of a friend had serious (but unspecified) symptoms.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

Yeah it amuses me reading about the Brits on this forum complain about Anutin doing a poor job, that Hancock bloke us far worse.

Between Hancock and Boris you never get a straight forward sensible true answer to anything. They constantly talk things up, exaggerate, blatantly lie and deflect responsibility.

Don't rate those two at all and huge mistakes last year. 

Credit is due however with vaccinations. 40.milllion first doses plus 25 million 2nd so far till end May. Regularly vaccinate in excess of 600.000 daily. Thats real "Mass" Single figure daily deaths and only around 850 in hospital. 

5 hours ago, connda said:

For all those who plan to return to their home countries to get two shots.  When you get back add up all the expenses you incurred to travel back and forth and divide it by two.  I'm curious how much people are willing to pay per shot in order to feel safe while exposing themselves to various variants of SARS-coV-2 viruses at international airport hubs.  To me it's counter intuitive and Boy-Howdy those are gonna be two expensive shots.  But hey.  If it makes you feel safe, more power to ya'll.  Best of luck in your travels.  Let the rest of us know the cost per shot when you return!  ????

Covid 19 test in Thailand to Return to the USA: 2,400 baht

ANA airlines Bangkok (japan layover) to JFK roundtrip: $820 (25,633 baht)

ASQ: 35,000 baht

Regular 1 year health Insurance which I was going to buy anyways AXA: 28,800 baht

Covid vaccine Pfizer: Free in USA

Covid test to return: Free in USA

Total: 91,833 baht 

Average cost per shot: 45,916 baht

• Like 1

The 3K plus to go to the US for a few weeks and get the Pfizer and follow-up I've already paid my premiums for is not the only way to look at it. When I get to the US I'm going to want to go on to Europe pretty soon-I'm sick of Thailand at the moment. Thailand has long been my "base", not where I "live". I could base again in the SF East Bay. And then while in the US and Europe, anything could happen. Leaving living quarters and assets here becomes a gamble, thinking of variants let alone other things. Relocation in a slightly less corrupt country becomes attractive. Enough.

8 hours ago, connda said:

For all those who plan to return to their home countries to get two shots.  When you get back add up all the expenses you incurred to travel back and forth and divide it by two.  I'm curious how much people are willing to pay per shot in order to feel safe while exposing themselves to various variants of SARS-coV-2 viruses at international airport hubs.  To me it's counter intuitive and Boy-Howdy those are gonna be two expensive shots.  But hey.  If it makes you feel safe, more power to ya'll.  Best of luck in your travels.  Let the rest of us know the cost per shot when you return!  ????

I, for one, plan to use the time to do a lot of other things besides just getting vaccinated. Contrary to popular belief, men CAN multitask. ????

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, elliss said:

Wow , that is a first ..

Why? It is not such a big deal for most but this forum caters towards the fearmongering crowd, probably due to the demographics. For me covid meant basically one week of being sick with about 5 days of occasionally very high fever that weirdly went up and down like crazy. Other than that it was in some ways even easier than a common cold. I didn't get a sore throat unlike always with a cold and my cough was quite moderate compared to some other instances.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Before anyone does this, get an antibody test here.

I know someone in Bangkok who was planning on going back to the US specifically for the vaccine but prior, got the antibody test which showed positive.

He decided to stay here.

I have been vaccinated, both Moderna, they offered the anti-body test, so I signed up for it, but nurse told me if I have been vaccinated, I would pbly come up positive anyway so cancelled the anti-body test.  I thought "Whats the point??"   I have always been under the impression the vaccine does not actually introduce the virus, just alters your cells too fight it off.   Maybe a learned person can answer this for us.  The cost of the test in miniscule, I want to know what showing I have the anti-bodies indicates, previous Covid-19 or the vaccination, she could not answer that one.   For what its worth, I had little reaction to the shots, but have a small itchy knot at the injection site, and I got mine in February and its still there.  Oh, I got my shots in Hawaii.

1 minute ago, TunnelRat69 said:

I have always been under the impression the vaccine does not actually introduce the virus, just alters your cells too fight it off. 

Not correct... one type of the vaccinations introduces dead virus, which the body still reacts to and develops the antibodies. 

Try this for explanations.

6 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

I have always been under the impression the vaccine does not actually introduce the virus, just alters your cells too fight it off.

That's not quite totally accurate.

All vaccines at the most basic level, work in the same way. They introduce an antigen from an infectious, disease-causing pathogen into your body. (An antigen is something that promotes an antibody response).

Once your body encounters the antigen, it will mount an immune response by creating both antibodies and (ideally) B & T cells tailored to combat that specific antigen.

The difference between the vaccines is in how they introduce the antigen. The older types of vaccines used an inactived (killed) or weakened form of the whole virus and some of the current vaccines, including SinoVac and SinoPharm, still use that approach.

The more recent vaccine technologies such as mRNA and viral vector vaccines do not use the actual virus at any point in the process. They simply take the desired antigen (in this case, the genetic code for the coronavirus spike protein) and encase it in a lipid (fatty) membrane, which is then injected.

The body's own cells then make copies of the spike protein which the immune system recognises as foreign, prompting the creation of antibodies, B cells and T cells.

Here's a diagram showing the process for viral vector vaccines. For mRNA vaccines the process is the same, except for the composition of the fatty envelope on the outside.

IMG_20210307_075015.jpg

Edited by GroveHillWanderer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

That's not quite totally accurate.

All vaccines at the most basic level, work in the same way. They introduce an antigen from an infectious, disease-causing pathogen into your body. (An antigen is something that promotes an antibody response).

Once your body encounters the antigen, it will mount an immune response by creating both antibodies and (ideally) B & T cells tailored to combat that specific antigen.

The difference between the vaccines is in how they introduce the antigen. The older types of vaccines used an inactived (killed) or weakened form of the whole virus and some of the current vaccines, including SinoVac and SinoPharm, still use that approach.

The more recent vaccine technologies such as mRNA and viral vector vaccines do not use the actual virus at any point in the process. They simply take the desired antigen (in this case, the genetic code for the coronavirus spike protein) and encase it in a lipid (fatty) membrane, which is then injected.

The body's own cells then make copies of the spike protein which the immune system recognises as foreign, prompting the creation of antibodies, B cells and T cells.

Here's a diagram showing the process for viral vector vaccines. For mRNA vaccines the process is the same, except for the composition of the fatty envelope on the outside.

IMG_20210307_075015.jpg

Thanx Wanderer this clears it up - I may just take them up on their offer to do the Anti-body test after all   -  just to see the results.  I had the Moderna vaccine this February, but suspect I actually had the virus back in early 2020 and my own immune system just fought it off - I have not had the flu in almost twenty years, so when I got sick, I had no reason to believe it was influenza.

I left pattaya nearly 4 weeks ago now have a pfizer vac first jab.

I wanted a vaccine in thialand went to bkk pty hosp was told no so left.

wont trust a free jab feel sorry for expats who are turffing it out.

KLM flight out was quite full think many have done same

• Thanks 2

On 5/29/2021 at 7:32 PM, Enzian said:

I have been very seriously considering it, but if I leave I conclude that I have to leave completely, no continuing to pay for my studio in Sukhumvit with the expectation of return toward the end of the year. Total liquidation or haul it with me. Maybe come back in a year or two. California would be nice, everything is getting better.

Just this past weekend I left for coincidental work in northern california and received a one-dose vaccine the day after arrival. Like what you're thinking, I dropped my Sukhumvit studio figuring that if I return I'll just find another one (although for sure the rents will have gone up again.) Most everyone in vaccinated in this part of the U.S., but most are also still being cautious.

It was nice to have cooler weather, too, until it started to feel "too" cold.

• Like 1

I will only get one of the three good ones. Thailand is insisting on sticking with the junk. A true bottom of the barrel, cost is everything approach. 

So, we may be forced to leave, to get one of the good ones, if Thailand continues on this self destructive path. Hoping the good ones will soon be available privately. 

At this point, nothing Prayuth or Anutin mean anything. Their credibility is - 20.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2021 at 3:20 PM, nrasmussen said:

IATA has already been working on that: IATA Travel Pass Initiative

I looked at this a while ago. I wonder how they will assure that the vaccination records are genuine, can the record on someone's phone adapt to changing circumstances, new data, and is it useful for public health monitoring, aside from getting someone on an airplane?

11 minutes ago, placnx said:

I looked at this a while ago. I wonder how they will assure that the vaccination records are genuine, can the record on someone's phone adapt to changing circumstances, new data, and is it useful for public health monitoring, aside from getting someone on an airplane?

While it may be of academic interest how they will implement this, as long as it will let me board my flight I'll be happy however they do it.

• Like 1

Seven European countries begin issuing a digital Covid certificate for travel

A digital Covid certificate system intended to ease travel within the European Union became operational in seven countries on Tuesday — ahead of schedule — offering a preview of what could become a standard for post-pandemic global mobility.

The document, known as a digital green certificate, records whether people have been fully vaccinated against the coronavirus, recovered from the virus or tested negative within 72 hours. Travelers can move freely if at least one of those three criteria is met.

Bulgaria, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Germany, Greece, Croatia and Poland made the certificates available to their citizens as of Tuesday and are accepting them for visitors. The European Commission, the bloc’s administrative branch, said the system would be in use for all 27 E.U. countries as of July 1.

(more)

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/01/world/europe-covid-certificate-travel.html

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I will only get one of the three good ones. Thailand is insisting on sticking with the junk. A true bottom of the barrel, cost is everything approach. 

So, we may be forced to leave, to get one of the good ones, if Thailand continues on this self destructive path. Hoping the good ones will soon be available privately. 

At this point, nothing Prayuth or Anutin mean anything. Their credibility is - 20.

Only minus 20 .. Tad optimistic .

Absolute zero ...

Cannot go much lower ..

However that said .. This is Thailand ..

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

A digital Covid certificate system intended to ease travel within the European Union became operational in seven countries on Tuesday — ahead of schedule — offering a preview of what could become a standard for post-pandemic global mobility.

The document, known as a digital green certificate, records whether people have been fully vaccinated against the coronavirus, recovered from the virus or tested negative within 72 hours. Travelers can move freely if at least one of those three criteria is met.

Bulgaria, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Germany, Greece, Croatia and Poland made the certificates available to their citizens as of Tuesday and are accepting them for visitors. The European Commission, the bloc’s administrative branch, said the system would be in use for all 27 E.U. countries as of July 1.

(more)

More , you do mean the UK , dont you .?

We , your average UK person , and myself .

Wanted to remain in the EU .

We will return soon pleading ,forgiveness ..

Entente Cordial , etc ...

On 5/30/2021 at 8:19 AM, Danderman123 said:

I went home for 5 weeks expressly to get vaccinated. That required 10 days in quarantine upon my return to Thailand.

Wow , sounds exspensive .. 

Hope the vaccine you had covers 

the multi variants of Covid variants ..

Maybe another trip home . ?

One cannot be too careful ...

On 5/30/2021 at 8:07 PM, 4MyEgo said:

The reason I suggested a blood test is for confirmation, that is the way I work, I analyse things, I like to know what it is,

Good point .

So can Covid be detected in the blood . ?? 

Doing away , with the un-scientific  test ,

of a swab into the Nasal channels ...

• Like 1

On 6/2/2021 at 5:28 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

(more)

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/01/world/europe-covid-certificate-travel.html

With the Indian variant there's some evidence that the test before travel may let infected people through. This variant is already in enough countries that blocking that alternative from certain countries would probably not be enough. Of course, it's a solution only for the EU for now, but there was mention of allowing the UK in, where the Indian variant is spreading rapidly.

• Like 1