Education minister orders schools to return money, provide discounts and allow parents to pay in instalments

webfact

I wonder if this will be carried forwards to International Schools, which theoretically fall under the umbrella of the Ministry of Education. 

Last year 50,000 Baht was discounted from the following school year’s T1 fees (18%) - This year, so far, no such discount has been offered.

I can’t see any schools offering a full refund of the term - thats just too costly or the school. 

So, I see schools offering anywhere from 10-20% just to comply with the order. 

50 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I wonder if this will be carried forwards to International Schools, which theoretically fall under the umbrella of the Ministry of Education. 

Last year 50,000 Baht was discounted from the following school year’s T1 fees (18%) - This year, so far, no such discount has been offered.

I can’t see any schools offering a full refund of the term - thats just too costly or the school. 

We have not heard of any discounts from international schools in CM.

Rather, hear of fee hikes of 5-20% across 6 schools that we know about

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Now new Education Minister Trinuch Thienthong has stepped into the fray with a letter of guidance to all educational establishments nationwide. 

Note  - it does say ALL EDUCATIONAL ESTABLISHMENTS NATIONWIDE.

That would include international schools.

Just because you havent heard from your school yet, does not mean they haven't received the letter.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

according to the article the “order” isn’t worth the paper it’s written on.

“The terms of the minister's guidelines - as they were last year under the previous minister Nataphol Teepsuwan - leave leeway for each school to act as they see fit, notes Thaivisa. “

• Like 1

2 hours ago, happyinthailand said:

Whoever edits the titles in Thai Visa? There does not seem to be any order at all. The Government has given guidance then seems to then say up to the individual schools to decide.

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story!

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Many parents feel they are not getting what they paid for and in a kind of double whammy are being asked to educate their cildren at home as well as pay for online learning that is hard to understand and deliver, especially for very young children.

Next door to me they have a young daughter, she's not received any online lessons this time around, but tuition fees are still being asked for.

• Sad 1

Maybe just a coincidence but only yesterday did the local school contact my son about having his kids start online learning, as from today. Could this be them laying out a future excuse for not making any refunds as per this MOE 'guidance'? Surely not..........!!

2 hours ago, eeworldwide said:

Just because you havent heard from your school yet, does not mean they haven't received the letter.

They've just got to find someone on the staff who can read.  

2 hours ago, khunpa said:

A fair decision. 

Personally, I am considering taking my sin out of school and homeschooling him for the next couple of years.

Paying over 200.000 THB per year for him learning online for a few minutes every day has been a complete waste of money.

200k for T3 - I’d be happy with some of it back. 

But, I’ve been extremely happy with the efforts my Son’s school have gone to to continue his education - his online learning structure and set up has been extremely impressive.

Clearly the online learning has not been as effective as it would have had my son been in school, nevertheless, in the absence of other opportunities I’ve been wholly impressed by my sons school.

That said: the school does nudge its prices up each year (for example: T1  for Y3 in 2021 is about 6% greater than T1 for Y3 in 2020) - this increase exceeds inflation which is something I’m not impressed and feel needs better explanation from the school - thus, if I get a 50,000 baht refund like last year, I’ll be satisfied. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

200k for T3 - I’d be happy with some of it back. 

But, I’ve been extremely happy with the efforts my Son’s school have gone to to continue his education - his online learning structure and set up has been extremely impressive.

Clearly the online learning has not been as effective as it would have had my son been in school, nevertheless, in the absence of other opportunities I’ve been wholly impressed by my sons school.

That said: the school does nudge its prices up each year (for example: T1  for Y3 in 2021 is about 6% greater than T1 for Y3 in 2020) - this increase exceeds inflation which is something I’m not impressed and feel needs better explanation from the school - thus, if I get a 50,000 baht refund like last year, I’ll be satisfied. 

I've had the same very positive experience as you.

My 2 kids go to an international school in Phuket. As in 2020 (for 2.5 months), the recent online learning for 3 weeks was excellent in every aspect: timely and relevant communication between the school and parents, clear daily structure with well-prepared lessons from 8.00 AM too 3.00 PM, online homework, and engaging teachers. Under the circumstances, I couldn't have asked for anything more.

Financially, the school advised weeks ago that the time spent with online learning will receive a discount of 20%. Parents with financial issues were advised to contact the school so something can be worked out. For currently enrolled pupils, the school will not increase the fees fot the next school year.

I have been very impressed with the proactive school management.

• Like 2

I realise its no consolation to Thai parents but here in the Philippines my partners 22 year old son was in his 3rd year college marine course. Its now been over a year since the course closed, no on- line option available. A hell of a blow to his education! 

Could be applied to other business models as well such as Condo admin fees.  Most facilities in Condos, pools, gyms etc have been closed for maybe 7 or 8 months since March last year thereby saving admin money on cleaning/staff/electric/gardening etc.  Will condo owners see any of their service fees returned ?

• Like 1

The school I was working for decided the best way forward was to assure the parents that their online learning was as good as it gets during the pandemic while cutting teacher's salaries by 20%. The director told us in the meeting announcing this strategy "If you don't like it, go somewhere else." (private, catholic school) ????

My young girl school fees includes meals. They just offered to return the meal money and keep the rest. Everyday 30 mins of "online learning". 

What's the color of your shirt? Blue!

What's the color of apple? Red!

My daughter is already 5 for Fsake! After the 30 mins parents will receive youtube links for educational videos. We are supposed to take photo of her watching the videos and send it back. I went to the school to collect assessment books last week. It's feel like a community center with groups of teachers sitting in corner chit chatting, playing phone, laughing, tam som tam too! 

Over a hundred Ks a year excluding the almost weekly few hundreds baht for "school projects", sometimes I really wonder <deleted> am I doing here? 

5 minutes ago, timberpond said:

My young girl school fees includes meals. They just offered to return the meal money and keep the rest. Everyday 30 mins of "online learning". 

What's the color of your shirt? Blue!

What's the color of apple? Red!

My daughter is already 5 for Fsake! After the 30 mins parents will receive youtube links for educational videos. We are supposed to take photo of her watching the videos and send it back. I went to the school to collect assessment books last week. It's feel like a community center with groups of teachers sitting in corner chit chatting, playing phone, laughing, tam som tam too! 

Over a hundred Ks a year excluding the almost weekly few hundreds baht for "school projects", sometimes I really wonder <deleted> am I doing here? 

Wasting your money and paying for poor education

I agree under one condition, all the government officials working under the education department donate their pay to the schools until they open again. This  to compensate them. It is easy to tell others what to do if it does not have a single influence on your own wellbeing. Who is compensation those millions in tourism (hotels, restaurants, guideds, agencies, airlines etc etc.) that lost their income due to Covid, the Chinese maybe? If schools would be honest they would find a way to take care of the wellbeing of their students and their families. But........ they are run like a business especially those with Christian roots.

10 hours ago, timberpond said:

It's feel like a community center with groups of teachers sitting in corner chit chatting, playing phone, laughing, tam som tam too! 

Sounds about normal. Don't forget the online shopping, stock trading, and Facebook.

15 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Sounds about normal. Don't forget the online shopping, stock trading, and Facebook.

Yes, what's up with this stock trading trend? Suddenly many thai became expert day trader overnight! And why do they have to post screenshot of winnings? I hate it when they post it and tag random people.