Thailand announces new speed limits: Motorcycles will be limited to 60 kmph in Bangkok and Pattaya

webfact

21 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

That speedo is digital so would never display Nippon Seiki. 

It maybe could be re programmed to  display it  (if I knew how  ???? )

and  "ahh so"    Nippon Seiki =  about 200 KPH !!!   far too fast for me anyway.

8 hours ago, petermik said:

Is that limit for those wearing helmets or not.....more BS that will never be enforced or recognised.

It is a combination, if you wear a helmet you are not allowed to go faster than 60km/hour.

Without helmet....unlimited speed, and GO.

• Haha 1

I lived in a gated village last year, it was on Pattanakarn road, it runs between Soi Nern Plawb Wan & the road with the ' Long Range Golf place' on it, they recently resurfaced it, straight as a die for well over 4 or 5 kilometres, the speed limit is 50 kph, guess what speed they really do along there ? 

I knew some guy in the tourist police & asked if he could have a word with the real cops to put in a prescence, nothing happened????

17 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

And the Pattaya police are rubbing their hands in glee and salivating over how full their pockets will be.

Yea. Perfect timing  for bib since roads are near empty. With  Helmet and mask on they cant tell who farangs are always   Targeting us hoping we didnt have a thai mb license. ????

18 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

What's the point?

The only purpose speed limits have here is to be ignored.

Well I'm sorry to say that I will also be ignoring those limits (in some areas).  There's not a cat in hell's chance of me limiting my speed to 80kph on a 650 motorbike on a 4 lane highway unless traffic conditions dictate.

I don't know if you've ever ridden a big bike at 80kph on a 4 lane road - it feels like you're standing still.  As usual they seem to be lumping all motorcycles together - the vast majority being small commuter types, many of which would struggle to do much more than 80kph.  There's a world of difference in every aspect between a buzzbomb and a modern big bike.  I just can't imagine riding from Bangkok to Khao Yai at 80kph, I'd go to sleep - I can't imagine any other bikers doing it too.

I'm all for road safety improvments but if they want people to even get close to complying, the starting place is being realistic.

• Thanks 1

I wonder how many meetings it took to come up with this idea,   what a waste of time, everyone and his uncle knows full well,      no one  will take any notice what so ever

9 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

I lived in a gated village last year, it was on Pattanakarn road, it runs between Soi Nern Plawb Wan & the road with the ' Long Range Golf place' on it, they recently resurfaced it, straight as a die for well over 4 or 5 kilometres, the speed limit is 50 kph, guess what speed they really do along there ? 

I knew some guy in the tourist police & asked if he could have a word with the real cops to put in a prescence, nothing happened????

You should have asked to give Presents, that may work.

9 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Ask the tessaban if they will allow you to pay for speed bumps (sleeping policemen we called them in the UK) to be put up on the road at various intervals. You'll only need a couple. Get a Thai to ask for you, the more influential the better. 

Tell them young children are at risk and may end up being killed. They will usually allow it.

They are only a few thousand Baht cost to lay down. 

23 hours ago, smedly said:

absolutely 100% correct 

I travel at the speed or slightly above the speed of vehicles around me, I would be feeling very exposed if I was going slower 

set a speed limit for the area not the vehicle and enforce it - how simple can it be 

Driving in the UK is frustrating as they often hog the outside lane with the idea that they are travelling at the  70 mph speed limit on the outside lane why should i pull in to the nearside lane . Pass on the inside you can end up in trouble .

Thailand does not seem to have any system . Pass in anyway you can regardless of what lane they are in. 

As you say Mr smedley , drive with the flow 

On 6/2/2021 at 9:30 AM, holy cow cm said:

And the Pattaya police are rubbing their hands in glee and salivating over how full their pockets will be.

Agreed; all laws are made to give local police a chance to make money selectively enforcing it.  The local youth will be shrugging their shoulders as most of their racing is done after police stop work - 5pm.

On 6/2/2021 at 9:49 AM, pattjock said:

I know but you are still allowed to travel at that speed on these roads and that is crazy. It should be down to 50km/h but normally you will have to drive slower anyway on these roads because of traffic.

Back in the eighties, when I was driving in Tennessee, the highest speed limit was 55 MPH, though the speed limit in California was similar to that in the UK.

On 6/2/2021 at 9:10 AM, itsari said:

Sensible law , now do the same with pick-up trucks

Good idea, make it 60kph for pick-up truck.

That was easy wasn't it was, the problem is now fixed, no more road deaths attributed to speeding - - just shows you, had there been speed limits previously everyone would have obeyed the rules and road deaths wouldn't have been a problem.