Serbian volleyball player apologizes to Thai team for alleged racist gesture

snoop1130

1 hour ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Wouldn't have come from Anutin, after his "brilliant" comments about foreigners.. 

The blonde isn’t even wearing a mask!!

Did Anutin miss this or are his racist outbursts reserved for domestic consumption?  

Or maybe he just doesn’t want to draw comparisons between vaccination rates in Europe compared to Thailand? Especially after a 3-0 drubbing in the volleyball ????.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

“I only wanted to address my teammates with the message ‘now we will start playing defence like them.’ I didn’t mean to disrespect anyone. Of course it was unfortunate and not so smart gesture from my side,” she wrote.

Calling BS on this "apology".

Would have been better if she acknowledged her action, admitted what she did was ignorant, and made a real apology.

Surely there's a Serbian word for "defense"?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

pulled the corners of her eyes back, to narrow them into an ‘oriental’ shape

Thank goodness she didn't accompany that gesture by a "wiggle walk" or a "flip-flop shuffle". That would've been REALLY bad!

11 hours ago, josthomz said:

Saying we can mock Asians for their eyes because Anutin calls farangs dirty and that they don't wear masks, only proves you are dumber than a rock. And most likely your parents were too, hence why you've grown up to be this way....

Sadly, there's many like this in TVF. Can't teach stupid. 

Nobody has said that.

You’re creating a strawman in order to virtue signal. Re read the posts and try harder to understand what they actually say this time. Good lad...

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Would have been better if she acknowledged her action, admitted what she did was ignorant, and made a real apology.

It is BS she is a racist, though one can hardly imagine a girl over age 9 making such a childish taunt. A continuing issue in the sports world to be taken seriously. She should be disqualified from Olympic competition at a minimum.

Edited by Captain Monday
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Poet said:

Here is what you all want to see:

Serbian volleyball player apologizes for slant-eye gesture towards Thai team

Really not as bad as you might imagine from the reporting. The gesture was made to a teammate, just a fleeting joke and not a provocation to the other team. They have a robust sense of humor in the Balkans that has not yet been beaten down by cancel culture.

Cracking lass.

These people are still living in the 1940s, plenty of examples of such in football (soccer), within the players and spectators.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

It's called Kosovo.

Look at how fleeting this gesture was. The game had ended, the Serbs had won, they were in high spirits, she made the gesture as part of a jokey conversation with a teammate, unaware that it would be caught on camera.

I have forwarded this video to the 20 second mark so that you can see the gesture in real time, under a second, and slowed down too:

Edited by Poet

So It is a thing with these Serbianas they have been doing it for years. Any women of color on this team? They are insensitive to overt white supremacist gestures and taunts, all a joke to them I guess. 

I won't be visiting Serbia any time soon.

https://nextshark.com/serbian-volleyball-team-poses-racist-slant-eyes-celebrate-going-japan/

slanteyeserbia.jpg

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

Post in breach of forum rules removed.

16) You will not make changes to quoted material from other members posts, except for purposes of shortening the quoted post. This cannot be done in such a manner that it alters the context of the original post.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

“I only wanted to address my teammates with the message ‘now we will start playing defence like them.’ I didn’t mean to disrespect anyone.

How is that message conveyed by pulling your eyes into a slit?

2 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

How is that message conveyed by pulling your eyes into a slit?

The joke was that they could mount as good a defense as the Thai team by simply slanting their eyes. It is a bit surreal, but funny in a deliciously inappropriate way. She was angling to get a shocked laugh from her teammate, and she succeeded in that.

• Like 1

I'm a bit surprised how many forum members condone the gesture. I'm pretty sure if a Thai had done something equally low-key racist to a farang on the BTS, there would be outrage.

Members of sports teams that take part in international tournaments should really know better!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

So It is a thing with these Serbianas they have been doing it for years. Any women of color on this team? They are insensitive to overt white supremacist gestures and taunts, all a joke to them I guess. 

I won't be visiting Serbia any time soon.

https://nextshark.com/serbian-volleyball-team-poses-racist-slant-eyes-celebrate-going-japan/

slanteyeserbia.jpg

This is circulating around Thai social media as they are really ticked off at them. Son just showed me this picture. Japan in 2017, so nothing new for the racists. 

• Like 1