Would you consider Turkey?

15 hours ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

Italy is cheap some small cities offer to buy a price of 1 $

Doesn't mean you'd want to live there. Living in Tuscany in my mind is not all that different than living in Issarn.

Anything on the Amalfi coast?? Just kidding. But really... Anything you might know of on the coast middle of the country ish?

Edited by kynikoi

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

The food in Spain is some of the best in the world these days, if you are willing to pay real money for it. The average food is just ok. The wine is world class, and reasonable.

I think I could be back in States for the price of Spain. It's just loaded with culture and stuff to see and do. Love Barcelona.

Thieves everywhere.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vinny41 said:

Golden Goose has long gone for short term rentals in TUrkey it very diffcult now even to let friends or relatives use your property even if there is no payment attached

If you rent property in Turkey the property has to be registered with the local police

https://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/regulation-to-be-introduced-to-control-short-term-rentals-in-turkey-105119

Thailand legally requires registration even for an overnight stay or a friend staying at your home etc Turkish requirement is dated 2016. Aside from Covid, do you have proof the requirement has actually impacted short term property rental market in Turkey as short term rentals are advertised online by individuals and agencies.

Edited by simple1

It's easy to get really good food at cheap prices in Turkey, including really good steaks and lamb dishes. And their beer is much better than Thai beer. Good wine is available for a few Euros. But the women are almost off-limits unless you are willing to change your name to "Mo".

I'd take a Turkish kebab with french fries over som tam and khanom jeen any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Edited by BenDeCosta
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, BenDeCosta said:

Turkey has great weather, great food, low cost of living, but doesn't feel particularly safe. Would prefer Cambodia or Mexico.

Have you seen a Turkish winter end of October until mid April its dire ????

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, madmen said:

Loneliness is a real killer in the west. 

especially when the lonely have M16's  in their bedroom waiting for the moment

Edited by rumak
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Thailand legally requires registration even for an overnight stay or a friend staying at your home etc Turkish requirement is dated 2016. Aside from Covid, do you have proof the requirement has actually impacted short term property rental market in Turkey as short term rentals are advertised online by individuals and agencies.

There is nothing wrong with individuals and agencies advertising online for short term rentals, beware the Turkish tax man does check the adverts and ensures the  individuals and agencies are registered on the giykimbil app 

Holiday rental is a commercial activity and requires a Turkish company or payment to be made through a Turkish company

https://www.fethiyetimes.com/advertise/22255-holiday-guest-registration.html

Before the new regulations came in, majority of property owners rented out their properties when they didn't required them  now most people don't bother unless they are renting out as a business investment

Don't laugh too hard but I think there may have been some fairly recent possibly pandemic related visa changes that refute a major premise of why I even started this topic!

Remember that I said that although Turkey lacks a retirement visa there is another easy option to replace that?

Well that might be history. That option was temporary residence based on long term tourism. Before apparently that could be renewed indefinitely kind of like a Thai annual extension but much more liberal.

But but but apparently they aren't renewing those anymore!

So if you're still interested, what to do?

I think there is another option to buy housing that would still allow for indefinite renewal of temporary residence. Not sure if that could transition to long term residence status. Also not sure if there is a minimum required price for the housing. Does anyone know? That could make a big difference if not.

Also to note if you buy housing costing I think at least 250k USD you get Turkish citizenship.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Haha 1

I have a female English friend and she has gone to live, not sure which area and she is involved in marketing and management for a plastic surgery business. Quite a boom industry I believe and the treatments obviously way cheaper than in the West.....................Anyway, she loves it, is open minded, ambitious and not in the least bit bothered by anything religious wise. She's been there a couple of years now and rates the place....................................It wouldn't be a bit of me though, even though I know a few Turks in the UK and they're 'one of your own', but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't feel entirely comfortable living there and  it certainly doesn't appear exotic or exciting enough for my likes.................................

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, timendres said:

That would override every other consideration for me.

I once was in Istanbul. My small guesthouse had five mosques nearby. Quite beautiful at 5pm. Perhaps it would get old!

Turkey is one of the world's cosmopolitan countries. On a ferry was a woman in hijab & another in a miniskirt.

Gotta watch Midnight Express again...

Edited by unblocktheplanet
spelling
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, unblocktheplanet said:

I once was in Istanbul. My small guesthouse had five mosques nearby. Quite beautiful at 5pm. Perhaps it would get old!

Turkey is one of the world's cosmopolitan countries. On a ferry was a woman in hijab & another in a miniskirt.

Gotta watch Midnight Express again...

Midnight Express was a good movie. It's an old movie. Personally I don't get the fixation on that movie related to living in Turkey. It's not as if Thai prisons are country clubs, eh? 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

It's not as if Thai prisons are country clubs, eh? 

Very true indeed, but I saw this movie in '78/9 I think it was and I would like to think that Turkish and Thai prisons had moved on since then.......................don't know about Turkish ones, but thinking back to the movie, I'm pretty sure the Kingdom's ones' haven't...........................and whether a true depiction of how jails were in Turkey back then or not, at least the inmates seemed have have freedom to roam around within the prison walls...................................

I was told a story by a couple of US Navy vets. After a time at sea they docked someplace on the Turkish coast. For shore leave they were taken to a Turkish woman’s prison, chose from a group of prisoners (I was told ‘cheap’), went back to their ship the next morning. “Best tine I had in the navy.” Disgusting. I later googled that the woman could buy shortened sentences. Hard not to vomit, I left the bar pronto.

Sorry for the killjoy effect.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

9 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Turkey is part European and led the way in non religious  extremism ie secular Islam. It bears no resemblance to Pakistan!

And you have been hiding under what rock last 5 years?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sead said:

And you have been hiding under what rock last 5 years?

I have been  there have you? A bridge connects Turkey mainland to Europe.  Part of Turkey is Europe. They were considered  for entry  to the EUROPEAN  UNION...That might give you  a CLUE..LOL..failing  that..look at an Atlas or.. cross the Bosphorous..a river from Europe into Istanbul. Culturally  Turkey  is one of the most Westernised Muslim  countries and has only recently  become Islamic