What in store for expats in Phuket after 1 July ?

Agusts

46 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

The Phuket Authorities are treading on Egg Shells with the whole thing.

Only one small slip up on their part, that involves a Foreign Tourist ( say for instance the famous jet ski scam ), and it will make International Headlines within 15 Minutes.

Instant loss of Face, and any small amount of credibility they may have had to start with.

And the damage will last for years to come.

Simple Answer Cake, they will simply threaten the Tourist along with the Beach photo of the Damaged Jet Ski and the thai owner just trying to make money for his family abused by the falang tourist. In over 15 years of watching reports of Tourists getting scammed in Phuket we have never seen any being arrested or banned from Hiring Jet Skis. Thai logic same as Doormen attacking Tourists no arrests for assault same doormen working next night same Club.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

You are required under Thai Law to carry your actual Passport at all times.

You are required under Thai Law to carry your actual Passport at all times.......Said the pickpocket thief.......lol

• Haha 1

An end to heavily discounted hotels, rentals and free upgrades.

An end to nice peaceful beaches free of people pestering you to buy stuff.

More traffic.

A return of tuk tuks?

Screaming, rude Chinese.

Perhaps some more rules as you become seen as a tourist again.

Maybe?

That's if any significant number shows up.

Lots to look forward too.

• Sad 2

2 minutes ago, sikishrory said:

More traffic.

A return of tuk tuks?

Screaming, rude Chinese.

Perhaps some more rules as you become seen as a tourist again.

Maybe?

That's if any significant number shows up.

Not yet, not for many months more, though it will eventually come.

The big test is going to be the 2021-2022 high season.

54 minutes ago, sikishrory said:

More traffic.

A return of tuk tuks?

Reads like a spoiled expat in Phuket - like myself.  As a retired expat whose income does not depend on the local economy, I have been spoiled here the past year.

However the locals are suffering economically, and the working expats who depend on tourists are also suffering.

So while I doubt in Phuket there will be many tourists initially, eventually, if the virus can be kept in abeyance, more tourists will come to Phuket, .... It won't as great as present (which is fabulous) for us retired expats, but good for the locals and good for the working expats.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Perhaps one day even the silly envy of all things Phuket will fade.

I have been to Phuket quite a few times over the years, but I failed to see what there is to envy.

Maybe you can enlighten us all?

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Susco said:

I have been to Phuket quite a few times over the years, but I failed to see what there is to envy.

Perhaps you could compare your judgement with the 9 million+ international visitors (pre-covid) who made Phuket one of the most visited places on earth. 

Visited a quite a few times did you? Why?

• Like 1

My guess is that for a foreigner who is currently in the kingdom - and isn’t either still in nor fresh out of some form of quarantine- I don’t think it’s going to be all that different.

Rightly or wrongly, when it comes to government action, the expression “the squeaky wheel gets the grease” is somewhat true.

Months ago the daily talking point was the daily number of incoming foreigners having the virus and all the issues surround that… today, while foreigners still arrive daily - and some still carry the virus, there’s near zero “talk” about that.. the attention has shifted to things like the new clusters, the delta variant etc. etc. 

So… to me, *so long as* the collective attention doesn’t somehow shift back to foreigners and the virus, i think things won’t really change - for better or worse.

13 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

What I don't do is continually whinge about every thing that once cost me more than I think it should have, like some silly, whiney little pensioner who can't be happy with his life.

Sir some of us don't have a life and we enjoy complaining about things...

Like if the price of beer goes up 5 baht,

or our eggs are to runny,

or we go to a bar with balloons and all the other cheap charles have already eaten all the free food....

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Susco said:

In your home town, people pay a lot of money to live in the "nice" neighbourhoods. Phuket is/was more expensive than pretty much anywhere else in Thailand. But it's "nice".

Less mongers, less beggars, a huge selection of 5-star hotels. Post-covid, perhaps things have changed.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, nkg said:

In your home town, people pay a lot of money to live in the "nice" neighbourhoods. Phuket is/was more expensive than pretty much anywhere else in Thailand. But it's "nice".

Less mongers, less beggars, a huge selection of 5-star hotels. Post-covid, perhaps things have changed.

You give a perfect description of Pattaya..  

• Haha 1

On 6/26/2021 at 12:53 PM, Cake Monster said:

You are required under Thai Law to carry your actual Passport at all times.

"You are required under Thai Law to carry your actual Passport at all times."

That is just not true, anyway, even if it was law I still would not carry mine all the time, as I just don't agree with it.

Imagine the headline, "Farang jailed for not carrying his passport". I do carry my driving licence and pink card though.

• Like 2