Are you wearing a face mask in your car?

giddyup

1 hour ago, Skallywag said:

No one needs a car in Pattaya.  Plenty of traffic and pollution from all the food and package delivery people already (people with jobs who have to drive)

Just walk around and if you see a motorcycle police coming, put the mask on quickly. 

Works for me 

☮️

Don't know who voted you in as decider of people's needs but just because something works for you doesn't mean it works for everyone.

To answer the op. Never when I'm in the car on my own but have the mask handy if in the car with wife and/or daughter

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

You said your windscreen was so dark that no one can see inside, that limits visibility especially at night. I can see that just from my side windows, and that's only with a very light tint. Read what the regs are in the UK with tinted windscreens. People get away with all kinds of illegal mods in Thailand.

Edited by giddyup
  • Sad 4

5 minutes ago, giddyup said:

You said your windscreen was so dark that no one can see inside, that limits visibility especially at night. I can see that just from my side windows, and that's only with a very light tint. Read what the regs are in the UK with tinted windscreens. People get away with all kinds of illegal mods in Thailand.

Pretty sure the UK reg's are there for security/surveillance reasons more than night visibility.

Anyway Thais rarely look where they are going......so a 40% tint won't change things much.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Really, care to explain your viewpoint.  

Don't mean to speak for the poster but I think he's saying if a person cannot see into a car during the day because of tint darkness, how can the person driving  the car see out well at night?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Re: window tinting - although it's true that there's some level of tint that's dark enough to be unsafe at night, it's absolutely possible to apply a tint level that makes the car look good and mean while still being safe to drive at night. Usually 15-20%.

In Bangkok..... In my own in the car - No, not at all. 

In Bangkok.... In my car with my Wife and Son in the Car - No, but have the mask hanging round my neck.

(the mask makes my sun-glasses mist up - and I don’t want to wear it). 

In Bangkok... In my Car with anyone else other than Wife and Son - Always. 

In Bangkok.... On a Motorcycle - No, not at all (I have a full face helmet). 

In Bangkok.... In a Taxi - Always.

IF I were in Pattaya, I would re-think my choices. I get the impression the Police in Pattaya just love these opportunities as nothing more than an opportunity to make money, whereas in Bangkok the BiB seem a lot less hypocritical. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Skallywag said:

No one needs a car in Pattaya.  Plenty of traffic and pollution from all the food and package delivery people already (people with jobs who have to drive)

Just walk around and if you see a motorcycle police coming, put the mask on quickly. 

Works for me 

☮️

speak for yourself, not me.

I most definitely need a car.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Andy from Kent said:

Don't mean to speak for the poster but I think he's saying if a person cannot see into a car during the day because of tint darkness, how can the person driving  the car see out well at night?

Easily.  The tint cuts down the glare coming in from approaching lights, it does not diminish your ability to see out when its dark, in fact if you turned the lights on inside the car and then stood outside you could see into the car during darkness.  It has always been more of a security issue with police and cameras not being able to see inside, just like putting a reflective clear tape on your license plates so the cameras can not photo them as the flash is returned back to the camera and the plate unreadable.  When you sit in the car with the windows tinted during the day you can still see out but someone looking in can not see inside because of the blocking of the suns rays going into the vehicle.

Edited by ThailandRyan

17 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Nicely done, but that's why I said to educate oneself.  There are plenty of study's done and I just enjoyed the one I posted from the Carwash...lol.  30+ years in Law enforcement and I have seen the reasons not to have it, while at the same time why it is needed.  However I am way off topic here.  

Wearing a mask while driving can also be hazardous for those wearing glasses as the glasses can tend to fog up as well.  I have to pull my mask down under my nose so my spectacles do not fog up which is even more dangerous than tint can ever be.

Fair enough....   I think the ‘enforced’ laws in Western countries protect from the degree of tint that would prevent the Police from seeing into a car.

Advantages of window tint in the daytime and benefits of ‘anti-glare’ at night time from mild tint are soon out balanced by fools who put a greater degree of tint on their vehicles such at there is little argument from anyone that it impacts nighttime visibility.

There is a ‘balance point’ in this argument beyond which the vast majority of people would agree. In law in Thailand this balance point is 30% (i.e. the tint cannot block more than 30% of visible light - but that law is never enforced and ultimately, I can’t find a direct link to that law, but 30% is the cut off I’ve always understood in Thailand). 

IF the Police cannot see inside the car to see if you are wearing a mask, its likely the tint is too high for safe night time driving. Unless of course the ‘reflection’ off the windscreen etc at the checkpoint is also too strong to see inside, then that comes down to shade and positioning etc. 

The ‘more on topic’ facet of this discussion - is..... is it really necessary to wear a mask in a car ?

In your own transport with family, no of course not. 

In someone else’s transport, yes, wear a mask. 

The issue we have here is that some politician feels the need to police for common sense and provides the police with an opportunity to profit from absurdity. 

So, do taxi’s wipe / disinfect the passenger section of their car between every passenger ?? (rhetorical) - of course not. 

But, are we ALL not educated enough to just wear a mask inside someones else car or when there is ’someone else’ from outside the family in our car ??? (rhetorical) - of course we are. 

The need for this to be policed does not exist - IF there is one regulation that is followed and conformed with to a degree of conformity that is astonishing for a society which usually shows a flagrant disregard for the law, it is mask wearing !!!! 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Try again. I never said my windscreen was so dark you can not see out. You better educate yourself some more. Looking in is not the same as looking out.  

Oh, you have some of that one-way tint?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Andy from Kent said:

Short answer is they can't.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Do you have to wear it if you are sitting on the back of a pickup? Or whilst driving a motorcycle?

There are no specific regulations: 

But, as being on a motorcycle is ‘outside’ then the regs say anyone outside has to wear a face-mask.

Thus:

Open faced helmet, wear a facemask, just to avoid being stopped. 

Closed face helmet, no need, they can’t see it.

I have never worn a face mask with my closed faced helmet. But, as soon as I get to a public carpark etc when the helmet comes off, a face mask goes on.

9 hours ago, Skallywag said:

Works for me 

☮️

Cant afford to run a car eh,? Well thats a good excuse,mind you as we live out near Chochan its a hell of a walk to big c south Pattaya ,????

• Haha 2