How does a Thai get a visa to visit the US?

9 hours ago, habuspasha said:

Thanks again.  Some more questions, if I may:

1. Why 4 laughing emoji responses to my original post?  Is it "HaHa, no chance?"

2.  I wrote n the OP that I would otherwise "meet her in Phuket," not that she is from Phuket.  She is from BKK.

3.  I like the suggestion that I stay out of it and just have her ask for a vaccine visa, given Thailand's dim prospects--much closer to the real reason anyway;  The best she can do now is the AZ vaccine which is 10% effective against the approaching South African strain.

And one comment FWIW:

The slurs about bar girls are a bit tiring.  Sure, we can all recognize dead-eyed, emaciated teenies showing more ink than clothing.  But a) they do it for us, and b)where else do we meet young women?  In any case, thanks for your concern.  She dresses nothing like when we first met.  She has become middle-class.

The advice to stay out of it is a good one. Nevertheless, she needs to show support. A woman with no job has cash to pay to up and go to US just to get a vaccine for a virus she would no doubt survive. Makes zero sense. I'd suspect ulterior motive.

The only thing that would deflect this is 8f she has passport-s showing regional and international travel. No, not a one-off four month trip to Netherlands to see some 60 yo bf a few years back. Tourist travel.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, habuspasha said:

I read somewhere (probably here on TV) that the US was open to visa requests for medical care.  Sure enough, there's a B-2 visa open to those who seek medical care that is not available in their own country.  See https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/a-b-2-visa-visiting-the-us-tourist-do-you-qualify.html.  Doesn't say anything about vaccines (especially, say, a Moderna rather than a AZ, Russian, or Chinese). But I wonder.  I wonder if any of the HiSos went to the US on that visa.

Then for me and my GF, there's the financial issue.  She has no income.  So the US wants to know who's paying.  So there's an 8 page form called I-134 Affidavit of Support.  It's a contract between the supporter and the US gov't.  I'd be fine with signing that, but that would raise the question of our relationship and intentions.  I can't do that and lay low.

I (we) might be going to Phuket after all.

This is getting ridiculous. First it was the k1 in desperation now some medical visa?? I'll virtually guarantee all the Thai that have got to US just for a jab were either on tours and or middle class or better, well traveled and possibly already holding visas.

There is no hope for her. Spend the 5k if you want to throw the dice.

She's probably already found someone else. Don't get so wrapped up in it. If you really loved her you'd be here not there. If you really loved her you'd be doing a k-1 or making plans yesterday to return.

You're long since short of honest options and now grasping at straws.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

BTW embassy appointments for first-time visas are full until October. I stated this earlier as well. In the best of circumstances she would not be back to see you until probably mid November. You may be able to grab a spot on a cancellation.

3 hours ago, Upnotover said:

"She dresses nothing like when we first met.  She has become middle-class."

555, that's the best so far, make sure she puts that in the application, before and after photo's would help.

I have to agree that single sentence from the OP tells you everything about where any visa application is going!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GinBoy2 said:

I have to agree that single sentence from the OP tells you everything about where any visa application is going!

I don't understand.  If she showed them a picture from her bar hopping early 30s and one from today, they'd just think she was trying to look respectable.  And she wouldn't do it, anymore than she would call herself middle-class.

Mentioning going there to get the vaccine is probably the only legitimate reason to visit today, only the Thais already with10 year visa are doing it, and they can afford to stay between the two dose plus air ticket, so to be lumped in with those crowd is probably a positive thing. 

Without knowing the full details I'm going to give you a good guess.

IMPOSSIBLE DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME AND SPEND THE MONEY SHE BE OUT THE DOOR FROM HER INTERVIEW WITHIN A MINUTE.

Read all the comments don't get stubborn or mad they are good advice.

Think about it if it was as easy there would be lines stretching from the Embassy to the other end of Bangkok to get into U.S. to simply get their vaccine.

You be better off getting her to Mexico and have her walk around the Rio Grande wave call out to her walk across she would not only get a jab but full public assistance medical checkup and a check to tie her over.???? Sorry to ruin your dream.

Edited by thailand49
  • Like 1

On 6/29/2021 at 8:00 AM, bwpage3 said:

The biggest issue is she has to convince the US Embassy she will in fact return to Thailand. This is strictly the call of the Embassy and very had to convince them.

Not always. Some years ago the Mrs helped one of her clients GF's to get a 10 year vis for the US. This girl had a degree, but worked at the Pent club as a prostitute. Dressed in a very expensive outfit and told a pack of lies about working for a famous magazine in NY with 'proof' provided by the boyfriend. She dumped him after she came back from the trip!

Edited by clivebaxter

They want to see that a person has ties to Thailand that will make them come back.  Own a business or lots of property.  Have a high paying job. Etc.

Tried to help our niece come visit us about 10 years ago.  Denied 3 times.  They would find an excuse to deny her.  She would correct what they said and next time they would find some other reason to deny her.

Not sure what the cost is to apply now, was around $150 US.  You have to pay upfront and when they don't give you the visa they keep the money.  Quite the racket.

My wife's mom was able to easily get a tourist visa.  So elders must not be seen as a flight risk.

So the answer is old or rich.

My friend is legally married to his thai wife. They have a son together.  They have been turned down once. 

Now trying again.  

Their lawyer said it would be easier to get her into Mexico,  than illegaly across the border.  Plus she will  get a sh/t load of free stuff from  the current government.  And he wasn't joking.  

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

At present I would say NO chance. They even might suspect her not to return to Thailand but work illegally in a Red Light business. 

This happened to a friend of mine. 

But as your wife she might get a visa. ????

2 hours ago, clivebaxter said:

Not always. Some years ago the Mrs helped one of her clients GF's to get a 10 year vis for the US. This girl had a degree, but worked at the Pent club as a prostitute. Dressed in a very expensive outfit and told a pack of lies about working for a famous magazine in NY with 'proof' provided by the boyfriend. She dumped him after she came back from the trip!

Sorry there is a bit of a hole in your story?  First to get a 10 year Visa you must have already been granted a Tourist Visa once/twice obtain and complete your trip and return that is satisfying proof that any future visa the applicant will return past practice is very important. As far as I know 10 year visa aren't given out the first time unless you know someone.

It has been a long time since I seen or review an application but from the Online application process much of the circumstances as provided in many of the responses aren't available to the applicant they have a general guideline to follow when reviewing the application from it they will generally have made a 99% determination prior to the interview the questions or conversation that 1% must be something very compelling to make them change their minds with the number of appointment and the hours they are open they don't have time to converse or have small talk. It is hello goodbye for the money reason so many get bent out of shape because they expect more it isn't going to happen. ????

Edited by thailand49

Yes all tourist visas are  issued for 10 years.  The shorter visas were creating a backlog.  

I had 3 Thai women get a B2 (tourist visa) to visit me. All 3 pre trump.  Then my last gf , now wife didn't get it in 2018. Waste  165$.   Our K1 started 3/6/2020 took 421 days. The delay of 170 days was due to  covid but also the last administration embassy appointment person held back 10 months of  K1  visas at NVC   normally NVC is a simple 2 week stopover of approved I-129's. You can read about the class action lawsuit that started processing of K1 visas the day after it was filed.    At our application time the average was 250-270 days based on visa journeys website members input.  We married in May.     

Big difference between the 3 and wife was #1 beauty, no kids, no property, no bank account over 300 k baht.    3 had 20+ year careers including the wifey .   All didn't mention they knew a single male in USA.   The wife only had 100 k in the bank.   The word on the street is they need 300 k in savings.  Or how else could they be a tourist? Any USA trip would cost 3-5 k USD.

I did make mistake on future wife's application.  I personally went to a BKK bank and paid the 165$ so my gringo signiture  was on the receipt you bring to the interview.   It was that or she was to good looking.  I really think their looks or how eager men would be to pay is #1 reason for most denials.   I'm sticking to this theory from my personal data set of 4. 

Prior work as a sex worker is a certain No!   No record of paying taxes? Lives in Phuket?  Best bet is visit her and get married and then do a CR1 visa. 

Edited by Elkski
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

As many have said it’s a difficult process. Personally my wife (Chinese) refused 3 times before visa approval. I questioned the officer why such

difficulty. He said US once in doesn’t track you... Their overly tough..

1 hour ago, thailand49 said:

Sorry there is a bit of a hole in your story?  First to get a 10 year Visa you must have already been granted a Tourist Visa once/twice obtain and complete your trip and return that is satisfying proof that any future visa the applicant will return past practice is very important. As far as I know 10 year visa aren't given out the first time unless you know someone.

It has been a long time since I seen or review an application but from the Online application process much of the circumstances as provided in many of the responses aren't available to the applicant they have a general guideline to follow when reviewing the application from it they will generally have made a 99% determination prior to the interview the questions or conversation that 1% must be something very compelling to make them change their minds with the number of appointment and the hours they are open they don't have time to converse or have small talk. It is hello goodbye for the money reason so many get bent out of shape because they expect more it isn't going to happen. ????

This was 2010, she did not have a visa prior to the application, they did know somebody. Also bf father was a multi millionaire  who owned one of the biggest print works in the USA at the time and I believe he had some input. She was meant to have a job at a famous comic company, also comic!

To have any chance the applicant needs proof of home ownership, business ownership or well paid employment, and a minmum of 1m baht in a Thai bank. It used to be much easier, but no longer so I'm afraid.

• Like 1

Just my opinion, but highly unlikely. My wife was denied the first time she applied at the US embassy Bangkok--a female officer denied her after 2 minutes of talking. We were married for 8 years at the time of applying and had our marriage registered at the embassy--didn't seem to help.

Next year she took the exact same documents, talked to a male officer, and was given the visa, go figure. Maybe that time of the month for the female officer, maybe doesn't like Thai women, could be a long list of reasons. As others have said; the applicant needs to show some reason they'll return to Thailand, but no "definitive list" of what that is.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

To have any chance the applicant needs proof of home ownership, business ownership or well paid employment, and a minmum of 1m baht in a Thai bank. It used to be much easier, but no longer so I'm afraid.

Dont know why you think it used to be easier, as it's never been easy.  Back in 98 I tired to get my girlfriend at the time to come to the USA for a visit. She owned a beauty salon, a condo in BKK, a house and land in udon, a car etc. She was in her early 30's and was refused. It's never been easy.

OP very little chance for her to get the visa. Save your money. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, clivebaxter said:

This was 2010, she did not have a visa prior to the application, they did know somebody. Also bf father was a multi millionaire  who owned one of the biggest print works in the USA at the time and I believe he had some input. She was meant to have a job at a famous comic company, also comic!

You just filled in the holes as to why

On 6/28/2021 at 10:34 PM, DaLa said:

I have been planning a holiday to the US for 2 years now, awaiting the solution to the Covid-19 situation. I'm a UK passport holder and as such my entrance to the US is quite simple. When my (Thai) wife accompanies me to the UK I complete a letter confirming she is travelling with me and I will be responsible for her stay in the UK, specifically mentioning details of finance, residence and length of stay backed up with our flight booking.

That works, so I planned a similar letter to the US Embassy only to find they don't accept any such 'sponsership'. It's all down to her status ( property / income / family / employment ) in Thailand. 

Years ago I sponsored two trips for my sweetie . Was fairly easy. Now can not.

I've been a bit outspoken on the thread because my wife submitted her application for her second ten year visa Sunday and paid Monday 10am. She received word today before 11am the visa was issued. 96 hour turnaround.

I'm not a big rule follower - but not being honest and not following the rules...these people are too clever and have seen it all. Follow the rules, get the visa.

My girlfriend of at the time 3 years got a 10-year Tourist visa to the USA.  Interview was not too bad, but the woman said about 20 times to her "YOU CANNOT STAY IN THE USA.  YOU MUST COME BACK TO THAILAND"

2 girls in line in front of her were denied straight away.

My girlfriend is employed for 10+ years at a large, wealthy company in Map Ta Phut, has a car, house, but not much money in the bank.

I brought her to Taiwan, Japan, New Zealand before USA.  I think this helps.

I'm on 2 year BOI Non-B Visas, and had just gotten a new one.  This helps also as they know I do not reside in the USA.

In the OP's case, I would not waste my 6,000 baht or time.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

19 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

home ownership, business ownership or well paid employment, and a minmum of 1m baht in a Thai bank. It used to be much easier, but no longer so I'm afraid.

Complete hogwash.

• Like 1