COVID-19: Thailand reports new daily record of 53 deaths; 4,786 new cases

webfact

1 minute ago, wensiensheng said:

Just to clarify, I don’t think it’s exclusively beta in Yala. They have cases for sure, but I think alpha and delta can be found also. I can’t find any source to confirm that, but I think it would be the case.

You are probably correct, its just I read that it was the Beta and nothing about the other Variants

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Experts around the world are looking currently at the experience in Australia.

Their numbers are extremely low and have been able to track and trace at a level impossible when the outbreaks are widespread. 

I think posters might find it interesting to Google such as "fleeting contact for covid delta strain Australia" 

Many easy to watch YouTube presentations from experts worldwide.

This is one nasty beast.

Jerusalem Post is not Facebook  https://www.jpost.com/breaking-news/40-percent-of-coronavirus-stricken-israelis-infected-with-uk-strain-nachman-ash-655957

• Confused 3

9 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

The specific numbers are perhaps meaningless in the sense that they are inaccurate, but I feel it’s still possible to read into them to the extent that some trends can be identified.

I agree. For some reason (don't know why) I often look at the Chonburi table (as posted above by Bkk Brian).

Notice that from approx June 16 the numbers changed. 50 positives per day thing of the past. Now consistently 150+

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

If these cases are spreading as they are, how does Phuket not have any cases or so few? They must not test, and if true, then the Sandbox scheme will be a true mess in 15 days.  Hold onto your seats boys and girls, a turbulent rocky ride is upon us.  At the immigration center now on Lat Prao with the GF and what usely would have been a garage filled with people is nearly empty....migrant workers have definitely fled or been locked down.

Stay safe

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

False

Read TallGuyjohninbkk post from yesterday for a good summary

"Fortunately or unfortunately, as the case may be, it sounds like the Delta variant from India is likely to become predominant in Thailand in the future after overtaking the current leading Alpha / UK variant.

And the study data coming out of the UK regarding the AZ vaccine and the Delta variant seems to be pretty good -- 92% effective in preventing hospitalizations and no deaths two weeks after the second dose, and 60% effective against symptomatic infection.

Regarding the AZ vaccine and the Alpha variant from the UK, the data thus far is showing 66-70% effective in preventing symptomatic disease, and as yet unpublished data showing 86% reduction in hospitalizations and no deaths.

Unfortunately, the BHF website hasn't pulled in the same kinds of effectiveness data regarding either the Sinovac or Sinopharm vaccines from China in terms of the various virus variant strains."

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1222037-thailand-reports-4662-new-covid-19-cases-36-more-deaths/page/6/?tab=comments#comment-16609274

I read somewhere yesterday that a 3rd dose of AZ also improves these figures dramatically so we could see recomendation changing from 2 doses to 3 doses for full protection, the 2 dose program was based on the original virus months ago, no reason why that won't change to 3 with the introduction of these new variants, I expect that to happen soon

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

So you mean 90 day reports for migrant workers?

I was under the impression that they are always packed?

Yes. They normally are packed and it had taken 3 to 4 hours before. Today it was fairly empty. Wonder why, nope we know that answer.  She was informed she can now do it by mail.

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Exactly.  The whole reporting seems to be meaningless and I would think most people now just ignore it, and will do so until it affects them personally.

But we don't ignore the number as we know they can be higher. But what they disclose shows an upward trend. Also the number affect us personally as lockdowns and such are based on them. But i cant say that im anymore afraid then when it was in the 2000's. 

I mainly self isolate but i do have friends over to my home gym to train who have more contacts so its a risk. But to totally stop everything in my limited social life is boring.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:

my brother in law has just returned to Udon after his factory closed following all the migrant staff doing a runner at the weekend! they got spooked and collectively decided not to chance being locked in lol.

he's not complaining as all the Thai workers got a healthy severance package but he did say the problem is widespread (and under reported)

Many Factories will close due to the Staff vacating their workplaces in rapid order.

Two issue seem to strike me from this.

The first is . Are all those such as your BIL tested and clear, or are some of them going to spread the Love back to their Families.

The second. With being under reported this was to be expected.

Government officials do not want the problem to grow, and they certainly do not want the Customers of those Factories taking their Business elsewhere, while frantically trying to find another factory, or Two to fulfill existing Orders.

If these Factories are heavily involved in Exports, this could cause a very real problem for the Government, who only today have stated that some of the financial slack created by the loss of Tourists was being taken up by the Factory output..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wensiensheng said:

The specific numbers are perhaps meaningless in the sense that they are inaccurate, but I feel it’s still possible to read into them to the extent that some trends can be identified. Whether up or down, spread to provinces outside the Bangkok core group and in particular, the percentage of delta cases.

but in terms of a specific number each day, you are right, that is meaningless.

I think you can safely add at least one zero to the reported numbers when proper testing is being done then double that number for true numbers reported in Thailand.