Thailand reports new daily record of 57 coronavirus deaths; 5,533 new cases

webfact

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Yes but it adds an extra risk and you might be ok with it but it depends on the majority of people not just you. I think the majority and the PM think the risk is too big. You might feel its an ok risk but others don't then majority rules.

Very true. But I'm not suggesting people should be forced back. Hopefully teachers will be vaccinated and parents can decide for themselves.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Very true. But I'm not suggesting people should be forced back. Hopefully teachers will be vaccinated and parents can decide for themselves.

I think that will be hard if they have to provide normal teachings and online. I mean that is double effort. I think it should be one or the other unless parents are willing to pay for the extra costs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

It's an absolute shambles here in Thailand and the Thais are making the UK politicians look competent.

No doubt though that the vaccine rollout in the UK has been effective and will be a decisive factor going forward.

Thailand looks to be facing imminent disaster with numbers steadily rising, and of course with no proactive testing being done, we simply can't trust the figures we are being given by the Thais to be accurate. 

The Health Secretary in the UK is doing a great job  ..... woops .... hang on a minute. Oh dearie me!!

Coming soon:

10,000 infections / day.

Pandemic Mortality rate: 2.5%

fatalities 250 /day.

And why? Because Thailand needed to celebrate ???? Songkran 2021. Well I hope those who had their sanook feel it was worth it.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

What's causing the rise in Bang Lamung/Pattaya? 

Is that markets or......

I get your drift. "Risky occupations that meet many people" 8 reported today, 6 yesterday, I saw 6 a couple of weeks back and a number of individual cases. Around 30 that are known. I doubt the risky occupation is referring to food delivery. 

3 minutes ago, ABCbangkok said:

Coming soon:

10,000 infections / day.

fatalities 250 /day.

And why? Because Thailand needed to celebrate ???? Songkran 2021. Well I hope those who had their sanook feel it was worth it.

You forget, Thailand is now deciding to risk it all, its like rolling the dice in that game of chance in Vegas, by opening up Phuket and then in October when the numbers have gone away, they hope to open up BKK and other areas sans quarantine.  I believe that money is such a major issue that they will result to whatever means needed to obtain it.

10 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Is that serious suggestion.

Leave the decision of weather schools remain closed or open is down parents.

Or mean just open them when teachers are vaccinated and then parents can send or not send kids to school.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, champers said:

The Health Secretary in the UK is doing a great job  ..... woops .... hang on a minute. Oh dearie me!!

A bit like the mafia clan politician that contracted COVID in a Bangkok sex-club then ran away back to Buriram to concoct a story and avoid taking any responsibility for his actions. 

At least there has been some semblance of accountability for Hancock. 

Whoops, hang on... dearie me!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ABCbangkok said:

Coming soon:

10,000 infections / day.

fatalities 250 /day.

Yes Songkran was one reason , but i think this situation was coming anyway. Just need to see how they haddle this havoc now. Think also that there was always case's in Thailand what they not detect coz not test nobody and test cost money so people just feel sick in home. If they testing limit is that 80k/day Thailand not catch spread chain's ever! And if they dont have laboratory's enough its hard to bring up testing!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Who would be crazy enough to come to a country that is spiraling into a very sorry state. Nobody wants to get back to Thailand as much as me, but not at the risk at the moment.

You and me both.

I'd also fear even if you could get there , you may not be able to get out easy enough soon !

Just got home from picking my daughter up from school early as its the last day of term, listening to the radio on the drive home and the BBC world news came on and mentioned the Phuket Sandbox model that is happening today.

The BBC also said that two of the cases found yesterday (there were 7 official covid cases yesterday) were of the delta strain.

https://twitter.com/NBTWORLDNews/status/1410480705373577217

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

A predictable trend unfortunately. Imagine if there was proper testing across the country.

So no positive news at the moment and it will only get worse.

Who would be crazy enough to come to a country that is spiraling into a very sorry state. Nobody wants to get back to Thailand as much as me, but not at the risk at the moment.

I can't see anything changing this year.

Same. 
Proper testing?: x10->>

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

You forget, Thailand is now deciding to risk it all, its like rolling the dice in that game of chance in Vegas, by opening up Phuket and then in October when the numbers have gone away, they hope to open up BKK and other areas sans quarantine.  I believe that money is such a major issue that they will result to whatever means needed to obtain it.

I think Phuket will have no issues with covid, too much money at stake

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Just got home from picking my daughter up from school early as its the last day of term, listening to the radio on the drive home and the BBC world news came on and mentioned the Phuket Sandbox model that is happening today.

The BBC also said that two of the cases found yesterday (there were 7 official covid cases yesterday) were of the delta strain.

https://twitter.com/NBTWORLDNews/status/1410480705373577217

Your daughter is lucky her school didn't close! Presumably it's not in Bangkok?

Just now, brewsterbudgen said:

Your daughter is lucky her school didn't close! Presumably it's not in Bangkok?

No Phuket, they've been open for around 4 weeks, well International ones anyway although now closed again due to the end of term.

Yes there have been cases in school as a result, one of the international schools had to close half its campus down for 3 days due to a couple of cases, I won't mention which one as its not been published, I know however through a good credible source.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

Thinking of it - Bangkok (the Corona hub of Thailand) has limited testing due to lack of hospital beds.

Is there a figure of how many percent of tests being conducted were positive? I think that number would matter more than how many were actually found positive.

If you have 5533 positive cases... that's from how many tests? 100,000? 5%. 50,000? 10%. 10,000? 55%. 6,000? That's nearly 100%. That does make a major difference.

Agreed. Getting one positive test out of 100 probably requires a different policy response to getting 99 positive out of 100. Even if testing is limited, for whatever reason, it can still be useful to the decision makers if they look at it.

4 hours ago, Susco said:

You may find that elite business is not affected by lockdowns, it are the small businesses that are affected.

The other day I read a report on Yahoo finance, and there was said the same. Big businesses had done a roaring trade during the corona lockdowns in the US, while smaller businesses had struggled to keep their head above water, and many had gone under.

Definitely agree that many or most small businesses in Thailand have been hit hard. They may not have any direct pull or influence over decision-makers, however.  The wealthy rent seeking class are another story.

• Like 1

Anyone know what group(s) of people are being vaccinated in Bangkok Hospital Pattaya today?

People are swarming all over the ground floor and goodness help you if you are trying to get in the lift to/from the higher car park floors. Can anyone throw a light on this?