The best

On 7/4/2021 at 4:08 AM, Sparktrader said:

I think the director makes a film though mostly. Actors are overpaid.

Agree. Once AI is good enough no live actors will be employed, IMO. They almost have it right already. Why pay someone when a computer can do as good a job?

On 7/4/2021 at 11:26 AM, Sparktrader said:

Hands down the worst

Agree. Hanks has made a lot of really boring movies.

The best actor is a matter of opinion anyway. Denzel's last movie I saw was rubbish.

The actors I like best are in small productions that haven't been contaminated by Hollywood.

Actually my favourite actor given how often I watch the series would be Dermot Morgan who played Father Ted. I know that's not within the past 10 years, but I can't think of any that I like as much as those from past decades.

If I have to pick from the past decade it'd be an anime character. I find them more appealing than the current crop of live actors.

On 7/4/2021 at 12:11 AM, ballpoint said:

Christian Bale.  From Batman to American Hustle to The big short to Hostiles to Ford v Ferrari, the best actor of the last decade.

As well as Empire of the sun when he was a kid - - amazing guy..

Not sure i can limit it to a decade, but

Nicholson is always good

Morgan Freeman

Tim Robbins.. 

gotta add Samuel L Jackson - he always brings an intensity that is riveting

to name a few.. 

Edited by 1FinickyOne

On 7/4/2021 at 12:11 AM, ballpoint said:

Christian Bale.  From Batman to American Hustle to The big short to Hostiles to Ford v Ferrari, the best actor of the last decade.

I would agree--and add the excellent "Vice" to your list.  

Charlize Theron hands down

The Huntsman: Winter's War (2016)
Dark Places (2015)
A Million Ways to Die in the West (2014)
Gringo (2018) (voice)
Snow White and the Huntsman (2012)
Bombshell (2019)
The Fate of the Furious (2017)
Prometheus (2012)
Atomic Blonde (2017)
Long Shot (2019)
Tully (2018)
Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)

• Like 1

On 7/3/2021 at 11:33 PM, Sparktrader said:

Hopkins always good

All time

Hopkins

Hackman

Eastwood

Pacino

Daniel Day Lewis

(I thought the Wick movies were rather ridiculous, endless unrealistic violence)

Daniel Day Lewis has some amazing depth.  He also has a life that doesn't revolve around acting.  Kudos that.

Where does one start ?

Russell Crowe, Benicio Del Toro, Jet Li, Vinnie Jones, Sean Bean, Joaqunie Phoenix, Hugo Weaving, Meryl Steep, Angelina Jolie, Sandra Bullock.

That will do me. 

hahaha Vinnie Jones? What are you smoking?

Denzel Washington. Tom Hanks. Benicio Del Toro. Philip Seymour Hoffman. Joaquin Phoenix. Leonardo De Caprio. Brad Pitt. Daniel Craig. Tom Hardy. Bill Murray. Clive Owen. Michael Fassbender. 

But for my money, Jake Gyllenhaal, and because of one film in particular - Nightcrawler.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2021 at 11:06 PM, Sparktrader said:

True Cruise movies r usually good. He's good at the fun characters, cant play serious though. That WW2 film was horrible.

There was ONE serious movie in which I thought Cruise was very good:  Collateral (2004) with Jamie Foxx.  I was pleasantly surprised because, in general I have to agree with you regarding Cruise's attempts at serious roles.

9 hours ago, lou norman said:

Charlize Theron hands down

Remember watching 'Monster' (2005?) with her and Christina Ricci. Hadn't seen much of Charlize up to that point and I was wondering when she was going to appear in the film. Must have been a good half hour before I realised who she was playing in the movie. I just didn't recognise her with the make-up and her character portrayal. 

Edited by bobandyson

After stumbling across it on TV late one night and loving the location and role played by some young kid called Leonardo DC in The Beach, I just had to go to check out that amazing location, no matter where it was. Did some research and arrived in Thailand soon after for a holiday there….and have never left. 

So for me, Leonardo Di Caprio will always be my king of the worrrld!

32 minutes ago, Nemises said:

After stumbling across it on TV late one night and loving the location and role played by some young kid called Leonardo DC in The Beach, I just had to go to check out that amazing location, no matter where it was. Did some research and arrived in Thailand soon after for a holiday there….and have never left. 

So for me, Leonardo Di Caprio will always be my king of the worrrld!

If one is familiar with the book one knows that the movie bears little relationship to it. I'll never forgive Di Caprio for ruining the story or Danny Boyle for letting him.

I suppose you will have visited the actual beach where the movie was set, in the company of hundreds of day trippers, and will know that it's nothing like the movie version, as they transplanted all the coconut trees for the movie and removed them after.

The really ironic thing about it is that Richard, the anti hero of the book, despises day trippers, and so many of them visited the site that it has been destroyed and had to be closed to tourists.

I'm just reading the book again- it's a great read.

• Like 1