Thai Government Will Adopt ’’Chulabhorn Likhit’’ as a State Standard Font

snoop1130

3d5cd27f3f6d6115247f1d577d976d59_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - The Thai font ’’Chulabhorn Likhit’’, bestowed by Her Royal Highness Princess Chulabhorn Krom Phra Srisavangavadhana, will be adopted as one of the sets of standard fonts for use by state agencies.

Deputy government spokeswoman Traisulee Traisoranakul said the Chulabhorn Likhit font will become one of 14 sets of standard styles of characters.

The Cabinet approved the adoption to mark the princess’s 64th birthday on July 4 and to pay tribute to Her Royal Highness for receiving a PhD degree in visual arts from the Faculty of Painting, Sculpture and Graphic Arts at Silpakorn University.

Ms. Traisulee added that the newly-adopted characters are versatile and they will help preserve the integrity of Thai writing.

nnt.jpg

-- © Copyright NNT 2021-07-07

3 hours ago, Lemonltr said:

Good. . I remember spending much time learning to read Thai using chulabhorn and my dismay when then looking at shop and poster signs outside and being puzzled. 14 fonts is a lot to cope with. 

Yes .... and good that this new official font is readable, unlike the simplified fonts used by many shops.  

I've no idea what any of the letters are in the 'Buntaworn' building materials shop sign for example - simplified to such a degree I only know the name of the shop because I heard some staff mention it.

Same for 'Breeze' washing powder and Coke.  Learning to read Thai was a huge disappointment when I realised I couldn't read brand names.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, connda said:

I wonder how many millions THB and how many thousands man-hours will be spent to change all official documents over to this font?  Wow. 

Gotta keep the civil service occupied.

• Like 1

I like this font, easy to read and maintains the traditional Thai style. I really hate the modern "fon kosana" type of loopless fonts. Loops make the Thai writing system special and exotic. Removing the loops to look more like Latin fonts is a denial of cultural heritage.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, starky said:

Im just glad we focusing on all the crucial stuff, not much else happening to be honest.

+1 You beat me to it. 

• Like 1

I'm a publisher, and I read Thai, so for me this nerdy news item was interesting. Don't know about most other members though, 555. This font looks easy to read, but has been made a little bit more artsy and nice to look at. Seems like a god compromise. 

Edited by rick44
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, connda said:

I wonder how many millions THB and how many thousands man-hours will be spent to change all official documents over to this font?  Wow. 

Zero.  What makes you think they are going to back date everything?  Of course they aren't.

It is just one of many approved fonts to use of official documents.

12 hours ago, internationalism said:

now imagine "state standard font" anywhere in real world, beside kalaland

It's really quite normal.  Do you think, for example, the UK government just uses random fonts in all its literature?