Thai PM says tougher COVID-19 measures are necessary

webfact

8 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

The family in the US asked me in my morning phone call just now where the vaccines donated by the US are being used and why the US expats and such have not been vaccinated with those vaccines.  I started to laugh and when I explained the issues here, risking my phoneline being disconnected, they could not believe that people here are fighting to be vaccinated when in the US they can not get people to come in and get a free vaccination and they have an excess now.  

I watched a video were some guy won a million $$$$$$ just for getting a vaccine

• Thanks 1

What a <deleted>&*^ng fool! Really dude? You say that now? If you had put back in the measures you had at the beginning about 3-4 months ago the problem would be solved. There would be no quarantine and lots of tourists. Instead you're ruined everything. Why don't you just resign and let someone who's competent do the job? Unfortunately it's doubtful you'll find such a person in Thailand.

Tougher measures!  You can't enforce the one's you have already which is the reason the problem exist!  Enforcement here is " Honor system "  you can go to the temple and pray for 24/7 that it will happen but as soon as it is done as they say in Thailand " same same ".

• Confused 1

29 minutes ago, Marvin Hagler said:

Better shut the malls at 8pm...that will curb the spread.

Well, 7-11 already closed something like 11 to 4am, seems that has really reduced the daily infections. 

4 hours ago, ourmanflint said:

I am guessing much to the dismay of many here and many many Thai business owners. Seems a lot of people are prepared to gamble with the lives of all the elderly and infirm just so they can carry on selling noodles or drink a beer at some bar or other.

Collective responsibility starts at home. Maybe the expats should set an example for once

I am guessing that you are elderly. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, d2b2 said:

I have lived here for 7years now and I sincerely cannot understand how the current leadership maintains the support of the people. 

By abolishing the Constitution, dissolving the Parliament, and creating new rules allowing the coup leaders to appoint 50% of the Senate.

4 hours ago, colinneil said:

Tougher measures, he has completely lost the plot, tougher measures should have been put in place in april.

Cancelling songkran, but no the plonker thought he knew better, look what has happened due to his negligence.

Terrible situation now, many people dying due to government stupidity.

Yes, absolutely correct. 

But don't forget his earlier errors;

- Not joining COVAX

- Making a choice to rely on a single vaccine before any were proven effective/safe.

- Making a choice to rely on a local manufacturer who had never produced a vaccine. 

- Refusing to allow private hospitals and governors/mayors to purchase their own vaccines.

- Choosing his political ally's poor quality vaccine as a second source when his primary source proved inadequate. 

- Not offering decent financial compensation to those affected by the lengthy lockdowns, and therefore making a certain amount of non compliance essential to survival for a large segment of the population. 

All of these bad decisions are responsible for the deathly slow vaccine program which is exacerbating the spread of the Alpha and Delta varients, at a time where the country is broken and weary of the endless lockdowns. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Currently on home quarantine, the prime minister said, in his Facebook post, that he has been keeping track of the COVID-19 situation in the country with growing concern and has been receiving information from all relevant agencies, so he can assess the situation and select appropriate measures to cope with the pandemic. Failing this, he said, the impacts on the people will be more serious.

So in this case "Lack of foresight on his part DOES constitute an emergency on the People's part"

Well played indeed!

42 minutes ago, ftpjtm said:

By abolishing the Constitution, dissolving the Parliament, and creating new rules allowing the coup leaders to appoint 50% of the Senate.

I understand the mechanism of holding on to power, it is understanding the continuing support of so many Thais that eludes me.

3 hours ago, pagallim said:

Today's numbers will definitely prompt a response.....

209925408_366397258179877_3134476194058451877_n.jpg.363cf118bb1fa3d4b2c643f8436d1d5f.jpg

Yep you are right as no doubt the corrupt families and the puppets they support will shift even more money out of Thailand now, if they still have some of it here, because  whilst the death toll accelerates so is the depreciation of the baht. So the PM and his puppet master should be proud that they have achieved the double.  Incompetence and corruption with dealing with the virus has allowed the death toll to accelerate to goodness knows how high soon whilst ensuring the economy goes into a downward spiral. Hope the normal Thai people will not simply not forget this time around who controls and is responsible for this national disaster

• Like 1

Lockdown,,,,      coming

Vaccines,,,,,,,,     coming

The Boss & his Health Minister are just  waking up

Will their buddies still be able to open their Malls & Shopping Centres during the day or have they realized that the virus does not have  a watch

3 hours ago, d2b2 said:

When I moved here in 2013, there was much chaos and turmoil about the previous Prime minister and some scandals involving rice. It was such a national disgrace that a military coup was the “only option”. 
We are still under the same leadership of the military coup leaders who swore to resolve the shortcomings of government and “bring happiness to the people” and yet thousands are dead, and we are approaching 10,000 (reported) infections a day, there are few vaccines (and fewer still effective vaccines) available, effective vaccines are delayed and discouraged by bureaucratic red tape, hospitals are full and patients dying at home while waiting for care, tens of thousands of businesses have failed, the economy is in ruins (except for the top 1%), those who protest are charged with draconian laws and jailed.

Where is the outrage? Where are those people who where protesting in the streets, with their plastic clapping hands? Where are those who were demanding a coup to stop the horrible rice programs of the previous prime minister (who has since been mostly cleared of any wrong doing). 
I don’t understand Thai politics, I am the first to admit this, but it seems to me that those who were clamoring for a military takeover have put us all in a terrible predicament and are now sitting on their hands and staying mute while the kingdom spirals down into chaos and dysfunction.
Is this the Thailand they envisioned? Is the current situation less dire than a supposed rice scandal? Is the current regime acceptable to them? 
I have lived here for 7years now and I sincerely cannot understand how the current leadership maintains the support of the people. 

It is not my intention to offend or insult, but I need to understand how can this be?

It was all smoke and mirrors, the real reason was the realization the impending dynastic transition at that time opened the door to any number of internal and external threats to the age-old hegemony. There are scholastic and news sites that cover this in great detail, we cannot link them here. Also, the "plastic clapping hands" people you mention who occupied the airport were pro-coup. Why do you think they got away with shutting down the main airport scot free!

Edited by chalawaan
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ourmanflint said:

I am guessing much to the dismay of many here and many many Thai business owners. Seems a lot of people are prepared to gamble with the lives of all the elderly and infirm just so they can carry on selling noodles or drink a beer at some bar or other.

Collective responsibility starts at home. Maybe the expats should set an example for once

Unlike the 4 Expats that I witnessed sitting at the " Dunkin Donuts " shop and drinking Coffee this Am at Tesco Pattaya Nua.

Non were wearing a Mask

Its about time the Security personnel started to kick these Morons out of these places and post their Mug shots for all to see.

Disgraceful

• Like 1

8 hours ago, faraday said:

Iesus Christus!

If you've ever thought about a career in grief counseling: give it a miss.

*Laughing emoji*

Exactly.  Gloom and doom on formally thai visa per usual.  Jumpers beware 

• Haha 2