Should we stop calling food EXOTIC?

The use of the word Exotic it is just a marketing tool to play on people's imaginations and to drew them to these places be it food, entertainment, clothing and places to visit...

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I do predict that over the years using the words ethnic and exotic for foods in the west at least will probably fade away, similarly to how the word Oriental has done

A feature we can only dream of  for now.  but who knows , If we all work hard and be nice to each other, It could happen.  , .  LOL

• Haha 1

Exotic doesn’t just mean “foreign” as much as it means “rare, unique or different”    There can be common foods from foreign cultures and there can be exotic foods that use uncommon or rare ingredients.

If exotic denotes some sort of racism, then that turns the common misconception that you can’t be racist towards white people on its head, because the only exotic cars I know (Ferrari, Lamborghini, Pagani, Koenigsegg, McLaren, Ford GT40) come from predominantly white countries.

In France, they still eat horse.  I find that to be quite exotic.

In Thailand, Pad Thai would be common.  Larb Mot Daeng (red ant salad) would be exotic.

Edited by Airalee

27 minutes ago, Airalee said:

Exotic doesn’t just mean “foreign” as much as it means “rare, unique or different”    There can be common foods from foreign cultures and there can be exotic foods that use uncommon or rare ingredients.

If exotic denotes some sort of racism, then that turns the common misconception that you can’t be racist towards white people on its head, because the only exotic cars I know (Ferrari, Lamborghini, Pagani, Koenigsegg, McLaren, Ford GT40) come from predominantly white countries.

In France, they still eat horse.  I find that to be quite exotic.

In Thailand, Pad Thai would be common.  Larb Mot Daeng (red ant salad) would be exotic.

Thailand is an exotic country.

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Daniela Galarza argued that the word connotes non-European origins

What's wrong with having non-European origins?  Why do these people always sound like the reason they don't like a word is because they have negative views about the race/ethnicity/place in question?

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

and diminishes other cultures.

I don't think it does.  How could it?  "This food is exotic."  How does that diminish it?

As soon as there is another word for this food, that will then become negative after a while, because these people think negatively about these places.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mutt Daeng said:

@Jingthing I think you should stop reading/taking notice of such silly "news" articles.

I must admit the whole woke, PC, cultural appropriation etc. etc. thing I find ... (I'm looking for a suitable word here, must be getting old).

• Like 1

I disagree with characterizing this topic as woke vs. not woke though I knew people would.

That's overly simplistic and a too easy way to dismiss this discussion.

I think its more about globalization and exposure.

In the U.S. salsa is more popular than ketchup now and sushi and Pho are typical American foods.

I think its ultimately about the lines of exotic and ethnic being melted away by practical realities making those terms simple passe over time.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Confused 1

When it comes to selling food, exotic can mean anything the seller wants it to mean - with 20% added to the price.

The best and most likely to give the distinct impression of potential happy endings is the sign, "EXOTIC Massage"

Edited by ChrisKC
Typo

On 7/9/2021 at 5:35 AM, ezzra said:

The use of the word Exotic it is just a marketing tool to play on people's imaginations and to drew them to these places be it food, entertainment, clothing and places to visit...

Other places call it Erotic.. 55555

• Like 1

On 7/9/2021 at 9:40 AM, Jingthing said:

I disagree with characterizing this topic as woke vs. not woke though I knew people would.

That's overly simplistic and a too easy way to dismiss this discussion.

I think its more about globalization and exposure.

In the U.S. salsa is more popular than ketchup now and sushi and Pho are typical American foods.

I think its ultimately about the lines of exotic and ethnic being melted away by practical realities making those terms simple passe over time.

Other typical original American dishes would be Spaghetti, Pizza, Tacos, etc.....55555

On 7/9/2021 at 7:47 AM, BE88 said:

Thailand is an exotic country.

Not to Thais.

The Thai baht is an exotic currency.

Could have fooled me.

It doesn't smell of fish sauce. 

Usually. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Not to Thais.

The Thai baht is an exotic currency.