Phuket Opinion: Trapped Sandbox tourists need test and release

webfact

This reminds me a bit of the story about the flooding in BKK in 2010. The interior minister then rented a number of tugboats, placed them in the chao-praya river north of bkk to thrust against the flow in an attempt to slow down the river... Its a true story, it was reported and discussed on this forum.

Point is: Sending fully vaccinated, multiple times tested arrivals into ALQ is just as futile. While the province is fully open to high risk domestic travel.

Sometimes you think you live inside a Monty Python show.

• Haha 2

On 7/12/2021 at 4:12 AM, impulse said:

In this case, it seems that was the entire plane.  The 13 tourists were among the 14 people who arrived on Emirates flight EK378 

The 14th was the guy who tested positive.  I suspect the flight crew never left the plane.

Posted many times. There were 142 passengers on the flight in question (2 in first, 30 in business and 110 in economy). Correct about the flight crew as these are triangular route flights (DXB, HKT, BKK, DXB) with no stop over in Thailand.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, khunPer said:

I'm now, after the latest news, this story and the one about two kids, seriously in doubt of that the sandbox scheme will receive the predicted 120,000 arrivals during thee month.

That was chest pumping, back slapping publicity from TAT. Having been through the system, it is clear that it is set up to receive around 500 passengers a day max. It could not be managed or monitored at this stage if the numbers were bigger.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2021 at 7:31 AM, ftpjtm said:

Emirates flight EK378 is served via a Boeing 777 with approximately 360 seats.

14 passengers arrived on the flight. 

Looks like the Phuket Sandbox scheme is destined to be a smashing success. 

142 passengers to be precise. I have posted earlier

• Like 1

On 7/12/2021 at 6:54 AM, nkg said:

If Thailand cares about its international image, it might be wise to refund the cost of the 13 people's ASQ as well as the hotels that they booked.

Up to you!

SHA+ hotel agreements generally state a pro rata refund will be given in such situations. It might make sense to propose a guarantee of no additional charges if you test negative but are unwittingly caught in the ALQ scenario.

As you say, up to you Thailand

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, MajorTom said:

This reminds me a bit of the story about the flooding in BKK in 2010. The interior minister then rented a number of tugboats, placed them in the chao-praya river north of bkk to thrust against the flow in an attempt to slow down the river... Its a true story, it was reported and discussed on this forum.

Point is: Sending fully vaccinated, multiple times tested arrivals into ALQ is just as futile. While the province is fully open to high risk domestic travel.

Sometimes you think you live inside a Monty Python show.

yeah, remember that, it was about 1,000 boats to be used and propel the chao-praya river so it could vacate the flood in Bangkok LOL

Edited by GrandPapillon
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Rhacsyn said:

Posted many times. There were 142 passengers on the flight in question (2 in first, 30 in business and 110 in economy). Correct about the flight crew as these are triangular route flights (DXB, HKT, BKK, DXB) with no stop over in Thailand.

How many deplaned in HKT?  Because the passengers going through to BKK were going into quarantine anyway.

The only real issue with the passenger count is whether they sent all the HKT passengers into ALQ, or just the passengers traveling with (and maybe seated near) the guy who tested positive.  How did they decide which passengers to quarantine?  Inquiring minds want to know before they book their flight... Were the quarantined all seated in business or economy?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, impulse said:

How many deplaned in HKT?  Because the passengers going through to BKK were going into quarantine anyway.

The only real issue with the passenger count is whether they sent all the HKT passengers into ALQ, or just the passengers traveling with (and maybe seated near) the guy who tested positive.  How did they decide which passengers to quarantine?  Inquiring minds want to know before they book their flight... Were the quarantined all seated in business or economy?

Have to have been sat in economy. Sorry, I have lost the link but I have read it was the family group of 12 and others in the two rows behind and two rows in front of where the positive case was sat. On a 777 that is 20 seats, but of course, not all necessarily occupied. All remaining passengers were not put in ALQ and proceeded to SHA+ hotels. I had friends on the flight who were "lucky"

• Thanks 1

On 7/12/2021 at 9:17 PM, MajorTom said:

How hard is it to understand that these sandbox arrivals are the safest individuals in the country at the moment? And should be subject to less restrictions than anyone else when tested negative..

Unvaccinated arrivals from BKK can come to Phuket with no restrictions or SHA+ BS with a negative test. How many covid+ close contacts must they have had in the days prior to arrival, on skytrains, MRT, Domestic flight etc. 50? 200?

Hows the BKK ASQ going Major?.....Id def take it over the chaos in the sandbox right about now....

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

Hows the BKK ASQ going Major?.....Id def take it over the chaos in the sandbox right about now....

Well i was actually in quarantine in Kuala Lumpur, and im released now. I just left after 15 months stuck in Thailand, need to work.

They dont call it ASQ here but its a similar system. 13 nights in a hotel room. Tracking apps, covid tests++

I'm boarding a vessel here, and will eventually end up in the Philippines when my contract is over. I got no vaccine, so will probably have to do another quarantine there for 10 days.. AND another 15 days ASQ on return to Thailand!!

World championship in quarantines ????

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, MajorTom said:

Well i was actually in quarantine in Kuala Lumpur, and im released now. I just left after 15 months stuck in Thailand, need to work.

They dont call it ASQ here but its a similar system. 13 nights in a hotel room. Tracking apps, covid tests++

I'm boarding a vessel here, and will eventually end up in the Philippines when my contract is over. I got no vaccine, so will probably have to do another quarantine there for 10 days.. AND another 15 days ASQ on return to Thailand!!

World championship in quarantines ????

Thus the label of Major Tom.......to weather any storm.....The King of ASQ

On 7/12/2021 at 6:58 PM, Albert Zweistein said:

Her name has nothing to do with it but Hungarian people being locked up for a long time behind the iron curtain are still not really aware of what is going on in the rest of the world. The same goes for the other ex communist countries. I don't mean it humiliating.

Wow, the ubermensch mentality evidently lives forever, Nietzsche educated you well.....

Edited by zoltannyc

11 hours ago, zoltannyc said:

Wow, the ubermensch mentality evidently lives forever, Nietzsche educated you well.....

No it wasn't Nietsche who educated me. It was my presence on a regular basis since 1967 in those countries. I have supported several people/families to survive the blessings of the communist era. After the 1989 revolution I tried to teach them how to survive in a capitalist society, helped them to start a small business, useless. Once they manage to raise some funds or obtain a loan the first thing they do is buying a Benz because every self respecting "business man" drives a Benz. They never heard about "saving for a rainy day" And they are still the same, just see the number of the hundreds of thousands coming to work in agriculture, factories and distribution centers for low paid jobs. Western Europe is full of them.

No I don't consider my self as an ubermensch, I feel sorry for them and where I can I still try to help. I am well respected over there.

• Like 1