Bangkok: Zebra crossings set to turn red - that'll limit accidents, says traffic expert

webfact

Using paint will just make the road surface slick as <deleted> and cause more accidents in wet conditions. Even walking across the road will feel slippery and dangerous in the wet. Unless they have thought out a suitable non slip paint to use

Ban pedestrians. That way they can save money and paint and not have drivers wonder what the black and white stripes are for in the first place.

I recall, on one of my first visits to Pattaya, there used to be red lights on some of the crossings. The wife, then the financie, looked askance. Stupid farang. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

They already have Red to prevent Accidents.

They are called Traffic Lights, and when they turn Red you required by law to stop.

I have seen very little of this fact on display in LOS.

Red usually means they speed up .

So, how about changing traffic lights to black (off) and white and zebra crossing to red, orange and green. The drivers will be so confused they will stop just to see what the hell is going on.

Joke aside. It doesn't matter what colour they paint. Thai drivers have the "me first" attitude and that cannot be changed

Edited by petedk
  • Like 2

Just now, rudi49jr said:

What planet is this guy from? The only thing that will stop Thai drivers from mowing down pedestrians crossing the street on zebra crossings is actual barriers, like with railroad crossings. Either that, or put a cop or soldier with an AK-47 at every zebra crossing, with orders to shoot to kill offenders. But even then I can see the majority of Thai drivers take their chances with that.

They try to dodge the barriers on railway crossing now.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2021 at 6:11 AM, NCC1701A said:

makes it easier to clean up the blood.

edit: now i see Worgeordie said that first. 

do the whole country. how's that? 

On 7/17/2021 at 5:58 AM, worgeordie said:

It's just going to confuse drivers, which seems quite easy anyway,

will not see the blood when they mow you down.....????

regards Worgeordie

Zebra crossings are centralised pick up points for ambulances a bit like bus stops each one is registered with the ambulance service as a definite point of incident (strong possibility of customers waiting) as you say painting them red makes sense for busy ambulance staff (no need to clean up blood) who have their set routes passing by every zebra crossing in their area on their rounds

3 hours ago, Scott Tracy said:

Ban pedestrians. That way they can save money and paint and not have drivers wonder what the black and white stripes are for in the first place.

I recall, on one of my first visits to Pattaya, there used to be red lights on some of the crossings. The wife, then the financie, looked askance. Stupid farang. 

Last time I was in Pattaya the lights on the crossing near my hotel were broken and remained broken for the month I was there in 2019 they are probably still broken. Pattaya does not maintain anything (footpaths, roads, lights etc) very good at putting new things in useless at maintaining them. I call it the 'Project' mentality once the project of installing or creating something is finished the city government forget about it.

5 hours ago, rudi49jr said:

What planet is this guy from? The only thing that will stop Thai drivers from mowing down pedestrians crossing the street on zebra crossings is actual barriers, like with railroad crossings. 

Not true.  There are several red light controlled mid-block zebra crossings in BKK and they work quite well, as long as pedestrians realize that it's the red light that conveys right of way.  The zebra stripes just indicate that it's legal to cross there without getting a ticket for jaywalking.  Same with zebra stripes at red light intersections- you walk on green only. 

The only place I see drivers violating that rule with impunity is when making a left turn on red.

11 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

More overhead crosswalks and less of these zebra crossings are the only way to fix people getting

killed and injured when they try crossing any road. Las Vegas finally figured that out.

Geezer

There are many overhead 'crosswalks' in Thailand, hardly anyone will climb them even those built outside schools/wats are rarely used. the heat to hot, takes to long, and no disabled access.

• Like 1