Once Asia’s top performer, the Thai baht is now becoming the region’s worst-hit currency

snoop1130

6 hours ago, boogiewoogie said:

So how expensive coconut gonna be if driver gonna pay 30 bahts more than usual to carry 1000 coconuts?

U take ur economics out of ur ass btw.

He will just put hungry boards on the pickup and put 2000 coconuts

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Local prices may rise by 2 % , whilst foreign currency has risen by 20 %

I've seen my daily/weekly shop increase a lot this year,almost every commodity has risen by something.

As foreigners who choose to come to Thailand they will be subjected to the local rip-offs by sharks wanting to put long lost money back in their pockets.

They may get a better exchange rate but that won't help in the streets.

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

12 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

But still far too expensive. 

I've seen my daily/weekly shop increase a lot this year,almost every commodity has risen by something.

As foreigners who choose to come to Thailand they will be subjected to the local rip-offs by sharks wanting to put long lost money back in their pockets.

They may get a better exchange rate but that won't help in the streets.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, malibukid said:

the Thai's will just raise their prices.  they do not understand the concept of supply and demand, nor delayed gratification.  they want cookie now.

Ye's, I think s'o.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, internationalism said:

that's good news for export, as well as, paradoxically, for incoming international tourists

The baht fell like all other currencies except the Yuan, with the announcement of the US rate hike in 2023. This fall is temporary, because the fed cannot hike its rates without causing a huge stock market crash. In 6 months we won't talk about it anymore.

• Like 1

The Baht likened to a “performer”?  As if we want this performer to rise and shine again?  It’s faulty and dangerous thinking like this that encourages traders to include Thailand in their group of “Emerging Markets”.  In reality—nothing could be further from the truth.  Given the situation in LoS today, one would expect the Baht to go far lower.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, AnotherFarang8 said:

I don’t think the worst of this economic shock is there yet. Give it time, it’s a slow motion train wreck.

It's just getting warmed up. The train is still at the station.

13 hours ago, AnotherFarang8 said:

Tourists will have to pay inflated prices for everything as weakened baht will buy less on international markets. Just to transport coconuts to the resort the farmer will pay more for gasoline because Thailand imports oil. Tourists will need to pay for that, who else. Not to mention household private debts accumulated by Thais over the jobless period. So no, tourists won’t see their currency do better than 2 years ago.

Well my main expense is for beer which is domestically produced so I should be OK. I think the idea that the rising cost of transportation from more expensive fuel would completely cancel out the advantage of a significantly better exchange rate is a bit of a stretch.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Historically flawed, sitting down to eat kaphao or fried rice for 35/40 baht is quite common, not much change in 20 years.

20 years ago it was 20-25 baht. And the tom yum I usually have for lunch has gone up from 30 to 45 in the last 10 years.