Doctors ask US Embassy in Bangkok to help with transparency over Pfizer vaccine donation

webfact

7 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

Unbelievable. A global pandemic is raging, people are dying, the economy is on the ground and doctors in one country are asking the embassy of another country to monitor and control the distribution of the vaccine. Because they fear that the vaccine fall into the hands of corrupt officials and get diverted away from its intended recipients.

Yep. T.I.T

Well it's simple.  1.54 million doses of Pfizer vaccine goes to Thai people to be distributed by the Thai government.

Zero doses go to US citizens as who give a goddamn about US expats.

Now, where those 1.54 million doses actually end up - that's not the problem of the US embassy. They just give those freebie doses away as long as they don't go to US citizen Expats.  Other than that, who cares?  The US isn't their brother's keeper. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dan O said:

The US is donating 500 million doses to 3rd world countries, 200 million this year and 300 million in 2022. They also challenged the G7 countries to match the pledge. You may want to read up on it. 

Who's going to pay for all that, big pharma? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CALSinCM said:

Explain to me how Thailand and the US are allowed to operate on two completely different planes of existence, with Thailand never being called out for it's racist policies? 

One simple answer is that Pfizer, Moderna, and J&J COVID vaccines are all manufactured in the US and thus need no import complications.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, CALSinCM said:

But here in Thailand, US citizens in 'at risk' categories are turned away, in many place told that "Thais first, farangs last", and if you don't like it - go home. 

For many months, only residents of each state were allowed to queue up for the limited vaccines.  Now, when they have enough for everyone, everyone can queue.

Does Thailand have enough for everyone?  It ain't so different.

7 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

This is not good.  In essence a Thai National is asking a foreign government to get involved in the Internal Affairs of this  country.  The Vaccine Donation was supposedly made without conditions?  At this point: "Just get the dam shots in arms, any arms".   

I believe the 20% to foreigners was a either a suggestion or a recommendation?  In that case "thank you America and stay out of our internal affairs"?  

When I watched the CCSA briefing I think either Monday this week or Friday of last week, anyhow not long ago there was a graphic showing the distribution of the US gift, I think it went along the lines of 800,000 to front line staff - so a 3rd booster shot for all of them, 80,000 doses to elderly expats, so 40,000 people, not sure if just US or any eligible elderly expat & the rest were going to the Thai population, someone else must have seen that broadcast and can confirm what I say.

Edited by Golden Triangle

"Dr Nat called on the US to use their influence to pressure the government into making sure the donation was delivered to the people it was intended for. "

We can only speculate about who those really are; I would wonder who the US Government wants to groom as friends. 

12 hours ago, webfact said:

The US has stated that it should be used to vaccinate front line health workers as third booster doses and then go to older people, those with health complications and those seeking to study abroad. 

The US didn't state that at all - that was the distribution plan that the Thai government has come up with. 

53 minutes ago, thaisail said:

Has anyone considered that this gift of Pfizer vaccines to Thailand from the US government is another way to move Thailand away from the Chinese influence and closer to the US camp?

It will no doubt help that they are being gifted with an effective vaccine, but the pledge to countries world wide is 80 million doses.  I suspect that a slight priority was put on Thailand because of the number of expats in Thailand who were rather vocal in wanting vaccines.  I believe 10% is allocated for foreigners.   

11 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

The United States will donate 1.5 million doses of the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine worth $30 million to Thailand. 

And now, another 2.5 mm doses.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/us-plans-to-donate-2-5-million-doses-of-vaccine-to-thailand/

Wow.

Meanwhile, I think I see an extra pre-registration in my future.

3 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

And now, another 2.5 mm doses.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/us-plans-to-donate-2-5-million-doses-of-vaccine-to-thailand/

Wow.

Meanwhile, I think I see an extra pre-registration in my future.

Now the 500k doses for frontline workers, up from 200k, has been pushed up tp 700k. Yep the definition of frontline workers has certainly gotten more liberal and lots more space opened up for VIPs 

Interesting that 45,000 doses will be used for testing and research. Have they even tested giving an mRNA booster after two does of Sinovac?? Or they will just wait for real world data