Anyone else tired of the nonsense, and contemplating leaving Thailand?

15 hours ago, HeijoshinCool said:

Well, good luck, things are about to change dramatically in the next few months.

I really doubt that, if that happens means vaccines are useless and we just have to accept living with the virus.

31 minutes ago, chilli42 said:

I came to Thailand in 1990.  After reflecting on your question, I feel not much has changed in this time as it relates to the power structure (army, government and he that may not be mentioned) and it’s governance by this structure.  I am not saying I like it but it’s not a motivation for me to leave.  There will be the inevitable change in some of the players but it will just be ‘deja vu’ once again. It’s a system designed to enrich and empower a small elite that runs the country.  If this notion offends you … I think you will find much the same everywhere, albeit in a less naked display of corruption and power.  Finally, I am not sure what country you are from but things “back home” are not what they once were.  Every time I return to my home country (most recently July) I feel like more of a foreigner.  Most things have changed for the worse and generally seem to be moving in an extremely negative direction … starting with the destruction of freedoms and democracy.  Of course if you plan to leave Thailand and set up your own utopia on an island or off the grid you might be able to recreate the sensibilities you rightly long for.  Baring this, I would stay in Thailand as long as there are the good things you mention in your post.  It’s reliable and consistent and things are just going from bad to worse in Europe and North America.

Of course nothing stays the same, and if you have been away from your home country, things move on, thats life.

I would concur after living through several coups in Thailand, nothing changes, the faces maybe but fundamentally everything is the same. The electricity still goes off at the first crack of thunder, streets are clogged with the spaghetti of wires, education is abysmal , garbage everywhere the list goes on,

The tipping point comes I think for many of us around the 10 year mark, where you can't work, you're sat at home and the craziness of the place just sets in. After that its a downhill spiral until you cave and move.

Not saying that's for everyone, but for a section of the expats it's a pretty familiar pattern

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Anton9 said:

I really doubt that, if that happens means vaccines are useless and we just have to accept living with the virus.

Learning to live with the virus and not getting into sweat over the government is surely not difficult? Shortly I go for my first annual extension, not concerned one bit a day's work is all.

13 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

They may be paying $15 an hour, but things are getting so expensive in the US, it is to the point of stupid. Finding a decent apartment or house to rent? Stupid. Cost of labor to get anything done? Stupid. Medical care? Stupid. Groceries? I end up spending $250 to $300 for two or three bags of groceries every time I shop there. 

Did I mention the nearly militant attitude of the women? Or the general sense of joylessness? Stupid. 

Few want to admit it, but inflation is out of control in the US. Thanks. Not for me. Not for less than $1,000,000 a year. 

$15/hr starting, I'm sure my wife with her experience and work ethic will soon move up to more. K-12 ESL teaching, for which there is increasing demand, commands $60-70k. I'll also get a retirement plan, which I won't get here. We'll have the family home, so minimal housing costs. It's also the Midwest, far cheaper than other places in the US.

Yup, not arguing many of your other points. Getting work done on your house in the US is stupid. Scam artists and high costs. Amazing how it is here in Thailand. Family here knows some guy who'll send someone over to have it done well and cheap. Back in the States, I'll just have to do it myself. American women? Of course. That's why we find Thai ladies to import. Haha.

I really miss the roadtrips with grandparents when I was young. The parks, monuments, roadside motels. Looking forward to doing that again with the wife. Eh, America with all its faults is still packing them in for some reason. The Indians can't stop packing into Silicon Valley, making that place unlivable. Not because of the Indians themselves mind you, haha, but because they've driven up the housing costs. YouTube's been getting blasted with how-tos on how to get past the immigration interviews. Though their English is still lacking, as is that of the children they bring over, so more work for me.

Hey, not knocking Thailand or anyone who wants to stay. Again, I'd consider it myself if I was more up there in years, and already had a retirement plan or better source of income, but I don't. A better path toward that for me would be going back home.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Inala said:

Covid is not vanishing, correct,

1 hour ago, Inala said:

You're obviously not a student of history. There have been pandemics for millenia. They all come to an end, one way or another. That's a simple, indisputable fact borne out by history. Covid is not vanishing, correct, but like the other many coronaviruses circulating on the planet, it's potency will be reduced by vaccinations and (eventual) herd immunity and life will return to normal as we exist alongside it. In the same way we live alongside bubonic plague, a bacteria which caused the worst pandemic(s) ever known to mankind and killed hundreds of millions. Covid19 is a little different, being more severe (transmissible) than the recent others of 1918, 1957 & 1968 as it had had it's properties altered by gain of function research before it entered into the human population. So there's that. But, in a few years time, history tells us it will be nothing more than a distant memory. Just bide your time. 

Actually I am a student of history. Like the other poster you agree with me but then ramble on and taking some moral high ground while not entirely disagreeing with my position.

I never stated that the virus is not expected to disapate in strength merely that it will be with us forever. In fact, it's not even an especially problematic virus for those under 35.

Those over 60 and with underlying condition imo can expect problems forever as typical annual flu alone kills millions. While the danger of harm and dying has been over exaggerated for months it is and will be quite dangerous to older people and those with cardio problems.

You also touch on the now known fact the virus was engineered which is also a huge unknown for this particular virus.

The vaccines are proving worthless. Israel is now triple vaxxing. 

Question isn't whether you'll get it bc you will. Question is how you'll suffer it and come out on the other side

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The things that you mention as issues have absolutely zero bearing on myself not my enjoyment of life so I find them very easy to ignore and just continue on with my happiness. 
For myself I see far too many positives in my residing here than any negatives I can think of. Are the problems you mention ideal? No, of course not. Would I like to see those issues change for the Thai people and the kingdom? Absolutely. Do they effect my life in any way? Sure, but no where near enough to have any bearing on my day to day enjoyment and fulfilment. 
Am I blissfully ignorant....? 

• Like 2

On 7/31/2021 at 8:16 PM, rumak said:

I solved that problem by just not inviting them over for dinner anymore.   So there !

That's what I did but I admit I miss the Cuban cigars and excellent liquors they have access to; the scintillating company itself, not so much.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

They may be paying $15 an hour, but things are getting so expensive in the US, it is to the point of stupid. Finding a decent apartment or house to rent? Stupid. Cost of labor to get anything done? Stupid. Medical care? Stupid. Groceries? I end up spending $250 to $300 for two or three bags of groceries every time I shop there. 

Did I mention the nearly militant attitude of the women? Or the general sense of joylessness? Stupid. 

Few want to admit it, but inflation is out of control in the US. Thanks. Not for me. Not for less than $1,000,000 a year. 

Terse and true Spider. Just not a viable option IMO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

I think you've got the bottom line for me. Back to USA doesn't offer me much even though I still own the home in Colorado that my daughter lives in alone. Canada is too cold and difficult to immigrate to right now. Mexico is a distinct possibility as I've spent months at a time there, I speak the language, and immigration is relatively easy. Other more distant possibilities are just too unknown to me and I don't want to spend the time and effort to learn the hidden issues that undoubtedly lurk in any foreign culture; there is no Shangri-la. The chances of bringing my mate to USA without a 2-3 year paper chase is another major barrier and moving somewhere without her is a non-starter. In short, at my age it's just a bridge too far.

For me the real point is that I'm grounded here, own a nice house, have a solid relationship with a Thai woman, and funding is not an issue.

Yes, the gov has failed its people and they are suffering greatly, and it can only get worse given the course the Khaki Klowns chose many months ago.

But how does that actually impact me and my daily life?

The practical answer is: very little. I can choose to let the emotion, anger fear, and frustration overwhelm my reason if I wish. These are not the psychological conditions that typically lead to good decisions.

I have not been vaccinated and understand that it's unlikely that I will have an opportunity to receive a useful vaccine for several more months, without monumental effort and increased frustration. In my estimation such supra - heroic efforts are mostly likely to simply increase the frustration and negative energy we're already subjected to. I know many made that effort and succeeded, and I applaud that, but it's not for me.

My decision, made two months ago, is to simply stay as isolated as possible, minimal trips out to the real world, full protection when we do, and minimizing the daily 'Doom scrolling' that renews the negative mental state.

We will hang out, enjoy each day as much as possible, and wait for an opportunity to get vaccinated when there is truly a large enough supply to prevent the experience from being a crushing ordeal.

I don't advocate anybody doing anything except what they themselves deem best.

Im just throwing in my two cents to the discussion.

Well said...... best course of action IMO  for the group of us older longstays . 

One thing i never forget is how much better i like it here than the US. I am pretty sure if any leave they might certainly wonder in 6 months or so why the grass is turning brown

I will pass on the vax,  thanks .........  until they knock on my door .

Edited by rumak
  • Like 2

Home is where the heart is ...

If you're not happy here , move on .

I certainly will when that Covid craze is gone . ( so , may be , never ...) , Still miss my beloved south of France ... ( not the Cote d' Azur ) .

Just don't want to be stuffed in a tin can with wings for the moment ...

3 minutes ago, rumak said:

South of France ?   hmmm   sounds good.     Surely you will have some room for me and mrs R  !

44 Most Beautiful French Chateaus (Photos) - Home Stratosphere

Nice one , what about this :

https://www.green-acres.fr/fr/properties/268a-ns2350-

xml.htm  ?

Or this ... https://www.green-acres.fr/fr/properties/68822a-32749.htm

47 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

I can choose to let the emotion, anger fear, and frustration overwhelm my reason if I wish. These are not the psychological conditions that typically lead to good decisions.

That's about the most sensible thing I've seen posted for a long time on any thread about Thailand.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Freddy42OZ said:

Why does any of their nonsense concern you?   

I don't care how many hisos get away with stuff, that doesn't affect me in the slightest.  I don't care what the so called Govt says or does, as none of it has affected me (I know that is a so far statement). 

Thailand is amazingly economical to live in compared to my home country and any other countries I've lived in.

There is a LOT I don't like, but I can't change or control those things so I just ignore them.

But I love living in Bangkok, I love how much more modern it's becoming each year.  

Agree with first 4 sentences.

I never had a personal problem with the governments of Thailand, except the Thaksin one ( and his IMO stooges later ), but even with that one there was nothing I could do about it.

IMO the government only affects farangs if they choose to be affected by it.

• Like 2

On 8/1/2021 at 12:54 AM, Liebemein said:

Covid might be related. This situation is tearing people apart. Here people have no right to talk. People who are followers can live everywhere. 

That must be why I can live just about anywhere ????

However, I'd PREFER to live in LOS.

I certainly don't see any 'disdain or hatred' in spidermike007's opening statement here. It seems carefully considered, deeply felt and excellent reading.

I have spent 13 very happy years in Thailand. I consider myself very lucky that Lamphun and Chiang Mai were 'chosen for me' as my home (although I love Isaan and sundry other beautiful places).

I am also happy with the medical facilities here (BKK hospital in CM I think is superb - and I can still afford it!)

Spidermike, before I chose Thailand (about which I knew nothing) I paid a deposit on a new build apartment in Mijas in Andalucia. I love Spain very much and, especially if you choose southern Spain, you know that you will find marvellous weather, great food, beautiful villages and churches/cathedrals, a lovely family orientated people and great opportunities for walking and golf etc. Also very good football! Mijas in 2008 was fabulous for an apartment. But then the construction industry collapsed, I pulled out and researched on the Net. I'm very happy that I chose Thailand. Thailand and Andalucia are very similar, I feel.

Like many I am distressed by what is happening here. I would like to return to Europe, live in Spain and summer holiday in Switzerland, France or Italy.

I am not married now and live quite alone, but my 'ties' are my wonderful 7 year old Thai 'step-daughter', whom I have gladly supported for 6 years, my two wonderful dogs, and my beautiful home (which I had built 12 years ago) and large garden.

At 75 years old, I guess I'm too old to move now. Anyway, I would greatly miss the 'readily available opportunities for fun' in Thailand!

A caution (at least for me). Spanish property is now expensive, I think. You should learn as much Spanish as possible (I was taught it at school, thank God!). The best (and cheapest) Spanish life is often village life. The worst mistake I made in coming to Thailand was not studying the language first.

If you move, the very best of luck to you, sir! At times I will envy you!

• Like 2

Yes, contemplating it very seriously and my Thai wife and son agree it could be for the better. She is equally tired of life here and the usual lies coming from BKK.

After 20 years and my work permit will not be renewed at the end of this month, I may not have a choice and I do not have the 2-3 month deposit requirement to get a visa and if I do, no income coming in after I lose this job.

Covid is getting worse and mutating more than they tell us. May be a good idea to return back to God's country!

• Like 1