The best bank to open an account in pattaya

Espanol

When I arrive in Pattaya I will need to open a checking account at a Thai bank.

At the moment I will not have the residency or the visa; only my COE for Thailand, the certificate of having completed the sandbox and the passport, because I have a visa exemption.

I understand that not only does each bank have different rules and requirements for opening an account, but each branch is also different.

Which can be the best bank office to open an account? Where less problems put and less requirements ask.

On some websites I have read that to open an account in a Thai bank you need to have residency but, on the other hand, to have residency you need to deposit 800,000 baht in a bank account in your name, so there has to be some form of opening it before having residency.

Edited by Espanol
  • Like 1

The friendly branches are the important factor so based on personal experience, Bangkok Bank main branch on 2nd opposite Soi 6. A friend had success at Kasikorn on Tai, next to Tukcom. I also read that the 'yellow bank' on Klang near Big C Extra works for some people sometimes. That's actually called Krungsri Bank aka Bank of Ayudhya.

One thing that has swayed a possible 'cannot' to a 'can' is having a nice sized opening deposit. Going through the account opening rigmarole and cadging for internet banking and an ATM card may fall on deaf ears with a 500 baht opening deposit. On the other hand, a tidy 10,000 baht (or equivalent changed at their forex desk), will probably make the reluctance go away.

Put it like this, if they accept it to enable the account opening and give you an ATM card, when you're finished, you can breeze right on out, go downstairs and pull (most of) it back out at their ATM.

YMMV

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Bangkok bank - had account maybe 4 years up now, no problems, though I seem to lose 600 baht a year the wife tells me not to worry about. ????

Indeed I rejected them for that very reason. Some branches like to insist that you take one of their products in order to open an account. Some useless insurance or some such. 

Interestingly, even though I declined their insurance, the cost of opening an account stayed at the 700 baht level. Seems that wanted to charge me 700 baht for having an ATM card. I declined and the girl stated cannot. I left.

So they are either charging you for a useless insurance or an expensive card. Your wife is probably thinking about the insurance money. Check it out. If you don't want it; then cancel. It won't affect your account status.

Bangkok Bank head office near Soi 6 might try the same ploy; though at least they will remove the charge if you insist that you don't want a card or insurance. Smaller branches obviously want those commissions.

I went to a completely different bank in the end; but note that Jomtien ask you the name of the bank when you go in for a Certificate of Residence. So it means you can only use it for that particular bank. So make sure that bank will give you an account before you decide the bank on the CoR.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Bangkok Bank is best if you'll use Wise for money transfers as there is a process for them being "International" they are also a farang friendly bank, 2 particular branches, 2nd road by top of soi 6 and the one at entrance of walking street.

I also have Kasikorn and Krungsri, both good but more difficult to open an account

Seconded; successful reports with regards to the BB Head Office branch in front of Soi 6, armed with a Residence Certificate.

• Thanks 1

Over the years between buying a house through one bank, buying new cars though others, having a business and it having it's own account with another, and of course our personal accounts with various banks, I don't remember any one bank standing out from the others for being good or bad.  They are pretty much all the same, SCB, Kasikorn, KrungSri, TMB, Bangkok Bank, etc. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, bbko said:

Over the years between buying a house through one bank, buying new cars though others, having a business and it having it's own account with another, and of course our personal accounts with various banks, I don't remember any one bank standing out from the others for being good or bad.  They are pretty much all the same, SCB, Kasikorn, KrungSri, TMB, Bangkok Bank, etc. 

Can't argue with that fact but since the OP is all about opening an account in Pattaya right now, it's best to know which Pattaya branch of "SCB, Kasikorn, KrungSri, TMB, Bangkok Bank, etc." will best deliver what the OP is seeking in Pattaya right now.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

it's best to know which Pattaya branch of "SCB, Kasikorn, KrungSri, TMB, Bangkok Bank, etc." will best deliver what the OP is seeking in Pattaya right now.

And it's too long that I was in this position. In 2009 at Kasikorn Bank things were so easy. But now?

This official stuff from Bangkok Bank does not sound too easy.

No idea what this reference letter is about. Seems it serves in place for proper certificate of residence that a tourist will not get.

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Save-And-Invest/Save/Savings-Account

2. Foreigner without work permit

• Passport
  • A reference letter issued by one of the following institutes or organizations or required document
    • Embassy located  in Thailand 
    • An overseas bank where the customer holds an account sent via SWIFT 
    • Trusted individuals such as a Bangkok Bank staff member or customer, director of a private company, permanent residence in Thailand, government or private educational institutes located in Thailand trusted by the Bank
    • Trusted companies, e.g., an employment letter from the company if the customer is in the process of applying for a work permit.
    • Document showing ownership of a fixed asset such as a condominium sale/purchase agreement (a condominium which is acceptable to Bangkok Bank) Or a property reservation agreement valued at 100,000 baht or more with a reference letter from the property developer that is acceptable to Bangkok Bank.

Notes: Contact addresses for both Thailand and overseas must be provided (hotel and P.O. Box addresses are not acceptable).

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

The best bank to open an account in is the one that will let you have an account.

Indeed. I fully agree. 

What I'm asking is which is that bank and which branch.

18 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

I have two accounts with SCB, Big C Branch, opened using my Thai Driving Licence (plus TM30 receipt)  as proof of address, and my passport. 

What I need to know is where can I open a bank account with only a tourist visa or, even better, a visa exemption. 

A bank account in Thailand with 800.000 bahts is a requirement to get retirement visa, so there must be a way to open that account prior to have residency. 

• Like 1

If I have understood correctly, the bank where it is easiest to open the account seems to be the Bangkok Bank.

To do this, I must rent a condo or house, go to Immigration with the rental contract and my passport and ask for a certificate to open an account at the Bangkok bank.  

With that certificate I go to the bank and open a deposit account, with at least 500 baht (although the larger the deposit, the easier it will be for the account to be approved).

Maybe if I comment in the bank that, once I have the account open, I will immediately transfer 400,000 baht, they will have even greater interest. ????????

Edited by Espanol

About 6 years ago for me - Bangkok Bank on Soi Buakhao.  No residence certificate, no drivers licence, no rental contract.  All I showed was my passport and a business card for a guesthouse, so different from many above and you won't know what you'll experience until you actually go to a bank.

Internet banking set up straight away (athough there were problems getting a password in the mail) which is also contrary to another report.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Espanol said:

If I have understood correctly, the bank where it is easiest to open the account seems to be the Bangkok Bank.

To do this, I must rent a condo or house, go to Immigration with the rental contract and my passport and ask for a certificate to open an account at the Bangkok bank.  

With that certificate I go to the bank and open a deposit account, with at least 500 baht (although the larger the deposit, the easier it will be for the account to be approved).

Maybe if I comment in the bank that, once I have the account open, I will immediately transfer 400,000 baht, they will have even greater interest. ????????

Not quite. Go to the branches I mentioned above and ask what they need. Sometimes they may only ask for rent invoices rather than a residence certificate. Staying in a hotel may be ok, it was for my first account, so ask them, don't look on their website

• Thanks 1

Bangkok Bank used to be the easiest for a farang who does not live there to open an account.  They have tightened things up though.  So you need the certificate and proof of residency now like you do at the other banks. 

I got my account before you needed the certificate and just use a friends address for my residence.  Been a few years now and it still works.  

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 1

On 7/31/2021 at 10:45 PM, jacko45k said:

Also spending money on some insurance they offer helps.....

Cost me 42 baht a month for the insurance, and cost of debit card (?)  no skin off my neck - and I think agreeing to the charge was one of the determining factors of getting an accept without residency certificate.  Smile a lot, dress nice and a big deposit is in order.  My first account in 2001 was easy, tourist visa, used the hotel address but I let that close, when I reapplied same bank, same branch I got all kinds of questions and Hummm. Haaaw, then I said, I need the account to deposit money to purchase a condominium........that was SCB on beach road.........opened right away, didn't buy the condo for almost a year later but they saw Ka-Ching Ka Ching.

FYI. I.  t helps to have your xferring bank always annotate transfers as "For Condominium Purchase". in remarks.  If it does not have that annotation, you may not be able to prove the money actually came in for that purchase.  I transferred a million in, wasn't marked for condo purchase, had to xfer it back out and back in with the remarks........at a cost on both ends.  So just to ensure no problems, just do it for all your xfer's...........I do, haven't has any probs since.????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, TunnelRat69 said:

Cost me 42 baht a month for the insurance, and cost of debit card (?)  no skin off my neck - and I think agreeing to the charge was one of the determining factors of getting an accept without residency certificate.  Smile a lot, dress nice and a big deposit is in order.  My first account in 2001 was easy, tourist visa, used the hotel address but I let that close, when I reapplied same bank, different branch I got all kinds of questions and Hummm. Haaaw, then I said, I need the account to deposit money to purchase a condominium........that was SCB on beach road.........opened right away, didn't buy the condo for almost a year later but they saw Ka-Ching Ka Ching.

FYI. It helps to have your xferring bank always annotate transfers as "For Condominium Purchase". in remarks.  If it does not have that annotation, you may not be able to prove the money actually came in for that purchase.  I transferred a million in, wasn't marked for condo purchase, had to xfer it back out and back in with the remarks........at a cost on both ends.  So just to ensure no problems, just do it for all your xfer's...........I do, haven't has any probs since.????

52 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Cost me 42 baht a month for the insurance, and cost of debit card (?)  no skin off my neck -

No point quoting me... got my account 16 years ago and it was easy peasy. 

Look, it's not that hard.

If you are going to be putting money in a bank with the intent of using it for a "retirement visa", you are going to need a proper address. 
Period.
The odds that you will be able to scam your way into getting them to open an account using a hotel room as an address are very low.

Think about it. Would a bank in your country open an account for someone using "Room 11 at Sam's Motel" as an address ? No. They wouldn't. And you know it. And they certainly wouldn't open a chequing account for you and hand over a book of blank cheques either.
(And yes, that is what a lot of people that come to Thailand try to do because they think the bank isn't smart enough to figure out that they are going to bounce a bunch of cheques right before hopping on a plane and flying home.)

And I seriously doubt that Immigration is going to accept "room 106 at the Bayview Hotel" as an address when you apply for your Retirement Extension.

But hey, I've only been living here for 17 years and on my 10th "Retirement Extension" so obviously I have no clue.  

You know what ? On second thought, ignore everything I've written.

Just party all weekend and then on Monday morning stagger into the closest bank and throw a hundred baht bill on the counter and tell them to open a chequing account for you because you are flying out the next day and can't be bothered with paperwork and such.

See how far that gets you.

• Confused 3
  • Haha 1