Just looked at a house for sale. Is this photo termites?

bbabythai

42 minutes ago, jojothai said:

Water penetrates concrete without having Jaws.

It does so through cracks and joints and can degrade the concrete in these places.

Yes, termites do not eat cement based materials, but they chew.

As stated in the articles Solid Concrete no, but also note.
"Poured concrete foundations are most resistant to termite attacks, but only if walls have no visible cracks"

Cracks get degraded and porous areas at cracks / joints are not solid.
I showed a picture of a termite that had chewed through grout. How do you explain that?
They had chewed through most all the grout between tiles in the shower floor. The grout cement particles were all heaped around the joints.
That was not the worst. They had chewed out the cement fill around pipes in the walls.

Grout is made of cement and that is what is used in concrete as the binder.
The grout was solid, but because in a area that gets wet it can make it more porous and easier to chew.
At concrete cracks or joints, you can expect loose and degraded areas. Water adds to the problem.

Termites will penetrate cracks or joints as best they can,

From what I have seen they can chew through degraded cement or porous areas just like the grout on the picture.

Grout is a little bit different from concrete, more like just cement, don't you think?

You have no idea whether the termites actually caused your grout damage, or whether they just took advantage of an already existing condition.

Anyway.....I think that's enough about concrete and grout. Not exactly an intellectually stimulating topic.

we had to replace all the ceilings in the lower level of our house, the paper surface was still there but all behind it was gone, door frames, cupboards, they went up to the second story inside the brick walls. Not easy to find them once they are inside the brick/cement structure

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bbabythai said:

Also, I obviously know that termites decimate wood in a house. But this house is a concrete structure and has brick/ cement footings. My question is.... can these termites stuff up the structure of this house?. Its got a tiled roof (old style ceramic tiles) and presumably these are supported by either wooden or concrete beams. I suppose I have to get inside the ceiling. Any opinions are appreciated

They will get to any wood used anywhere in the house structure. The house next door to us had the roof collapse due to termites, it was the only place wood was used.

19 hours ago, jojothai said:

Agree its vey unlikely they will damage any of the structure concrete and steel, or proper hardwood.

The steel may have a little rust induced, but that’s no problem. There is no such thing as ‘proper hardwood’. There are wood species that are resistant to termites if you don’t use the sapwood, for example young growth teak and teak sapwood are susceptible, old growth teak heartwood is resistant  though even then it’s possible to be attacked. 

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

And the positives to buying a termite infested house w/cracks in the cement are ???? 

Or is this the last house left in a 20 mile radius? 

Your name finicky One explains your advice . 

• Haha 1

Just looked at a house for sale. Is this photo termites? 

For sure ,Just remember that they also eat The insolation of electric wires and I've seen them eating Tractor Tires that where stored in a shed for 6 months.

Best advise ,Don't buy no matter hah cheap.

Those cracks in the rendering would be expected in a concrete house built 10 or more years ago. They are mainly cosmetic and not of structural concern.

The termite next is a bit of a worry. On first glance I would have thought it was probably old and long since disused. However, the blue drainage pipes behind it look fairly new and the nest presumably post-dates this (e.g. the workers installing the pipes would have knocked out any nests at that time to give themselves plenty of working room).

If you are interested in the house you will have to investigate more (check internal/external wooden fittings, dig right into the nest to check for evidence of termites and eyeball the surrounding walls and surfaces for termite tunnels (little clay lined tubes).

I'd be inclined to get a Thai speaker to point out the nest to the owner and see what he/she says.

23 hours ago, steven100 said:

if it's cheap enough and you can witness no infestation inside,  however this is difficult unless you can remove architraves and skirting boards, which i'm sure the sellers won't like or even agree to. 

you need a chisel and a claw hammer.

If the termites are eating the wood it's also possible they are eating cement.

Needs a very thorough investigation.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, bbabythai said:

Also, I obviously know that termites decimate wood in a house. But this house is a concrete structure and has brick/ cement footings. My question is.... can these termites stuff up the structure of this house?. Its got a tiled roof (old style ceramic tiles) and presumably these are supported by either wooden or concrete beams. I suppose I have to get inside the ceiling. Any opinions are appreciated

I have seen them eat the cardboard on either side of gypsum plaster wall and ceilings. Carefully check all wood, door frames and doors, Sofits, furniture and cupboards. Costly experience.  

• Like 1

On 8/5/2021 at 6:52 PM, KarenBravo said:

Yes.....it's a termite mound.

Dig down to find the Royal Chamber and then kill the queen. The chamber has a few small openings for the workers to get in. They are also made of a darker soil and very smooth. If you don't somehow kill the queen, they'll be back.

Have tried chemicals which are a bit hit and miss. Killing the queen is 100% effective.

I wouldn't dig anything , just don't buy that house . The problem might be deeper then just those mounts , roof , concrete etc there are concrete termites as well as wood termites and if you have something like those mounts umder the house i wouldn't buy it for sure .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dig down to find the Royal Chamber and then kill the queen. The chamber has a few small openings for the workers to get in. They are also made of a darker soil and very smooth. If you don't somehow kill the queen, they'll be back.

Have tried chemicals which are a bit hit and miss. Killing the queen is 100% effective.

Five gallons of gas and a match will fix the problem

1 hour ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

I wouldn't dig anything , just don't buy that house . The problem might be deeper then just those mounts , roof , concrete etc there are concrete termites as well as wood termites and if you have something like those mounts umder the house i wouldn't buy it for sure .

I agree.

• Like 2

On 8/5/2021 at 7:46 PM, itsari said:

Will not damage the house structure . They will eat the door frames , skirting boards etc 

I have been told that they also like ceiling gypsum board, apparently they like one of the ingredients Cellulose? (on a side note; I recently watched a YouTube vid on pouring molten aluminium into a nest, when it was set and removed  an amazing sculpture was reviled.)

Edited by brianthainess

14 hours ago, kennw said:

I have seen them eat the cardboard on either side of gypsum plaster wall and ceilings. Carefully check all wood, door frames and doors, Sofits, furniture and cupboards. Costly experience.  

I just repeated your post almost sorry 'bout that.

18 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I have been told that they also like ceiling gypsum board, apparently they like one of the ingredients Cellulose? (on a side note; I recently watched a YouTube vid on pouring molten aluminium into a nest, when it was set and removed  an amazing sculpture was reviled.)

Yes, I have had some ceiling gypsum board eaten away on the edges . I have had a couple of large trees die because of the nest under the house . Interesting to learn about termites . Not so interesting to repair damage after them . 

We bought a house absolutely taken over by termites ,they were

everywhere , but the foundations, walls,and roof were sound ,got

it very cheap after 1997 , gutted it, refurbished it ,rented it out, and

it's paid for itself 3 times over, you have to look beyond the state of

the building and see what it will become.

regards worgeordie

38 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

No, they eat the thin paper that the gypsum is coated with.

You're right about termites eating cellulose, which is why they don't eat gypsum, or concrete. No cellulose in them.

On 8/5/2021 at 7:54 PM, jojothai said:

Agree its vey unlikely they will damage any of the structure concrete and steel, or proper hardwood.
However don't just look for evidence in wood. That's what I used to think until I saw what they can do to grout joints in tiles and some items that had a grouted or cement surround.

also like  plasterboard  cardboard  sleeving

On 8/5/2021 at 7:54 PM, jojothai said:

However don't just look for evidence in wood. That's what I used to think until I saw what they can do to grout joints in tiles and some items that had a grouted or cement surround.

Not to mention the steel-termites. Just kidding... 5555

A surer way is to walk away from the sale.  Works every time, not hit and miss at all. 

49 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

We bought a house absolutely taken over by termites ,they were

everywhere , but the foundations, walls,and roof were sound ,got

it very cheap after 1997 , gutted it, refurbished it ,rented it out, and

it's paid for itself 3 times over, you have to look beyond the state of

the building and see what it will become.

regards worgeordie

True, but only if you can be arsed, and I couldn't. In my view, best always to by something that is ready to go, as is.  You may take 4/5 years to get a profitable return, as opposed to your 3,  but it saves on the agro, the work and the stress. 

6 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

True, but only if you can be arsed, and I couldn't. In my view, best always to by something that is ready to go, as is.  You may take 4/5 years to get a profitable return, as opposed to your 3,  but it saves on the agro, the work and the stress. 

If your a worker , know how to organise people (even Thai's ) , it's

not such a big deal ,they do all the hard work,i just make sure they

do it properly, that said ,property now is too expensive, even <deleted>,

and I am too old now, plus finding a good builder , but at the time

is was the right thing to do, with the bursting of the bubble,a Japanese

company was selling everything ,going home, we bought 4 Managers

houses in same Moo Bahn  ,sold 2 so other 2 were free, interest rates

at the banks were in free fall, to what it is now.....

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

The update is that I emailed a pest inspector back home that Ive used on previous houses. I sent the photo to him. He said:

Yes definitely termites. 
That’s one hell of a nest. 
Termites can travel through concrete structures like Cold Joins for example to find food so I would definitely recommend getting this nest treated. 
Either foaming with Termidor foam or applying a bait will do the trick. 

As mentioned above the silly old bat will not reduce the price and what is asking is huge money- as if its brand new. 

On the phone she was making out as if its nothing. Its annoying as I do like the house and the location. I put in a reasonable offer and told her to contact me anytime when she is not so delusional. 
  • Like 1