Swiss tourist dead, believed raped, murdered in Phuket Sandbox

Jonathan Fairfield

3 minutes ago, Harsh Jones said:

The Sun header.

And one individual poster herein says its a nonstarter and only has small notes and has already died down.  I do not think this one will fade away, and oh how wrong he is, or was he just trolling.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Indeed, and I think that perception is a correct analysis of the current situation.

What most don't realise about is that crime rates will rise exponentially due to the economic devastation this government has caused while trying to deal with COVID. This crime may or may not be an effect of that. 

To compound thievery there will be increased violent crimes against outsiders, including tourists and members of the expat community, as frustrations and resentments rise on the back of nationalist sentiment, which has been eagerly fostered by this jack-boot administration. This will markedly rise as Western countries emerge from the COVID crisis triumphant, while Thailand begs for vaccines and the rich horde their ill-gotten wealth. This was a coup for the rich, after all.

As I have said before mass tourism is over for Thailand for the foreseeable and there is real trouble ahead. Even if Thailand does open up, we'll be back to the days of the backpacker and the ardent sex-tourist for many years to come.

The country has been closed to tourists for almost 18 months, the economic devastation has been going on since then, but we are not seeing the crimes you refer to. Just the usual taxi scams.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, NeoDinosaw said:

"police were investigating people with criminal records and also migrant workers"

they have narrowed down the prospective suspect(s) already !!!

Profiling, happens across the world

1 hour ago, bobandyson said:

Have the RTP even solved the recent case of the Indian/Thai couple found drowned in a resort swimming pool? Last I heard was they were waiting results from autopsies.

The envelopes were thick enough to spell "accidently simultaneous drowning"

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

With the Investigation into this wholly repugnant and savage crime, I only hope that the RTP will conduct themselves with some kind of dignity, and not turn the whole thing into something the same as the Kho Tao murders of the Two young British backpackers a while back.

Dignity from the RTP will show dignity to the deceased and Her family, something that was very sadly missing in the Kho Tao case.

The whole thing was a complete Circus, and even to this day there are many that believe the Two young Burmese Lads that were convicted were used to cover up the real culprits of the crime and were made scapegoats.

This poor Woman deserves at least some respect from the RTP, as would all victims of such a dreadful crime.

She'll get more respect because in Thai Police eyes, she's a Swiss HiSo, not for any other reason...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, chang1 said:

To me it was the 2 week holiday makers who came in droves after the tsunami. Coconut island became a building site full of families and louts, taxis and McDonald's all of which ruined the atmosphere and greed took over everywhere - except the small shops with there double prices which Tesco put an end to. Before that it was all long stayers like me and backpackers - great company and everyone out for a good time. Of course there was the odd upmarket hotel full of the types I despise but the bars of Lamai were mostly off limits to those snobs. I stopped going there altogether about 12 years ago but hope to get back again soon before the island is overrun with boring people again. Trouble is I will only be able to stay a couple of weeks with my family - time changes us all I suppose. Soon I  will despise myself. 

After the tsunami? To us it was anyone who arrived after 1998. 

Understandable that it's a sensitive topic for anyone whose livelihood is based in tourism here.   Mine is not and thus IMO the country would be better off without mass tourism.  

Again in practical terms: less sweeping under the rug, and more in your face acknowledgment of the risks and history of criminal acts here.   Put the rape and murder case summaries right in the Sawasdee in-flight magazine next to the duty free offerings.   

Thai police have detained a 33 year old Myanmar man for questioning after he was suspected of murdering the Swiss woman. CCTV footage showed the suspect near the scene. There were wounds on the body of the suspect. The accused said it was caused by fighting and falling down.

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1423906541141336070

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Garry said:

Someone seems to find this despicable act hilarious.  

image.png.bf8362d54074dba375514f6114fb7fa2.png

It is just one person that gave a laugh emoji and I suspect its the same person who made a nasty remark in the thread, which got removed and I wouldnt be surprised if she got removed as well for making such an nasty remark 

• Like 1