Thailand falls to bottom of Nikkei Asia’s COVID-19 Recovery Index

webfact

000_9ET4R8.jpg

Commuters make their way on Ratchaprasong intersection in Bangkok on July 12, 2021, on the first day of stricter lockdown restrictions to try to contain the spread of the Covid-19 coronavirus. (Photo by Lillian SUWANRUMPHA / AFP)

Thailand has been ranked bottom of a list of over 120 countries on Nikkei Asia’s COVID-19 Recovery Index, with a score of 22.0, tied with Vietnam.

Last year, Thailand was among the top ranking countries for its management of the pandemic, but has dropped due to the surge of infections since April this year, especially with the widespread and contagious Delta variant.

The Nikkei COVID-19 Recovery Index ranks more than 120 countries and regions around the world on infection management, vaccine rollouts and social mobility. A higher ranking indicates that the country  or region is “closer to recovery” with a low number of confirmed COVID-19 cases, better vaccination rates and less stringent social distancing measures.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thailand-falls-to-bottom-of-nikkei-asias-covid-19-recovery-index/

Logo-top-.png
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Perhaps the Baht might even depreciate further. A desaster for all the retirees with their 800.000 Baht here (I am one of them but I changed at a rate that is still far away) . But a great opportunity for all others that want to transfer money to Thailand. 

But don't listen to me. My advice was always wrong... 

Edited by Mickeymaus
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

Perhaps the Baht might even depreciate further. A desaster for all the retirees with their 800.000 Baht here (I am one of them but I changed at a rate that is still far away) . But a great opportunity for all others that want to transfer money to Thailand. 

But don't listen to me. My advice was always wrong... 

I wouldn't sweat it... I always envisaged one day spending or gifting that money here, and since inflation in the UK will be high for the next few years it will work out. 

4 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

How embarrassing.

Yet, there's a plus side - world leader in COVID related incompetence. 

Well done.

I would take this Nikkei index with a pinch of salt.   China at the top  ....  Come on !!  gime a break !!

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Last year, Thailand was among the top ranking countries for its management of the pandemic, but has dropped due to the surge of infections since April this year, especially with the widespread and contagious Delta variant.

Incorrect. Thailand dropped due to the complacency, arrogance and incompetency of using the good times to order vaccines and get everyone vaccinated before Delta has a chance to get a foothold.

Prayut and Anutin will go down in history as the most ineffective and incompetent PM and DPM in history. Their days are numbered.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, steven100 said:

I would take this Nikkei index with a pinch of salt.   China at the top  ....  Come on !!  gime a break !!

Well....if one looks at the manner in which they handled the mess throughout and their general recovery - compared to most that were ravaged [and continue to be] and mismanaged the continuing COVID era - they probably are one of the top dogs in general preparation and recuperation. 

Your "pinch of salt" quip adds a consorted twist to the bigger picture. 

The folks at Nikkei Asia have a long history of being conventionally ultra-conservative. Their bias and anti-China prejudicial tradition tends to lends itself nicely to those highly critical of all things China. 

Perhaps, their attempts to be honest and balanced towards the said subject matter grinds against the already predisposed and repeated anti-China propaganda that the usual circles soak up predictably.