Wattie's Tomato Sauce

D M G

Sure I saw this stuff this week in a plastic bottle. It was either at Tops at Central on Beach Rd or Best Supermarket at Dolphin roundabout. Try Tops first; may have been on top of a freezer cabinet.

Edited by champers
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I never use that <deleted>. In NZ I use Greggs.

In Thailand, Fountain ( Australian ) is a superior brand IMO. Sadly can't get Fountain in NZ.

2 for 99 baht other week  now 99    i drink it neat     small sip       v good   big c

In Thailand now its amazing the wide variety of Farang foods

you can buy here now, BUT not everything, so you either have

to take the next best thing , there is always an alternative  or

do without.

regards worgeordie  

20 hours ago, Nojohndoe said:

I know a person who worked in the plant making Watties tomato sauce when it was made in Australia.

He saw what went into it. Would not  eat it . Nice plump fresh looking tomatoes were only as close as the label as the contents got.

Err, that's odd because Watties tomato sauce has, as far as I am aware, always been made in New Zealand. Not sure what sauce was being made by your friend at that factory in Australia but it was not Watties.

42 minutes ago, mstevens said:

Err, that's odd because Watties tomato sauce has, as far as I am aware, always been made in New Zealand. Not sure what sauce was being made by your friend at that factory in Australia but it was not Watties.

Incorrect. Watties  moved that product to Australia for about 10 years then moved it back to NZ  around 2012. Took some of Heinz production with them.

I was looking for a can of SPC baked beans in friendship a week or two ago, but they were out of them. Plenty of Brooks, but I'm not overly fond of them, and they also had cans of Watties baked beans from NZ so I bought then instead. I haven't tried them yet, how do you think they compare with the Aussie SPC version? This is one reason I enjoy living in Pattaya, you get a chance to try products from all around the world, whereas if I was back in Britain I'd never stray beyond a can of Heinz baked beans. I prefer the SPC beans to the British Heinz version, which surpised me greatly.

IMG20210812094354.thumb.jpg.61787ea25d7c1b613e3c62b93a6f0839.jpg

On 8/12/2021 at 9:46 AM, Guderian said:

I was looking for a can of SPC baked beans in friendship a week or two ago, but they were out of them. Plenty of Brooks, but I'm not overly fond of them, and they also had cans of Watties baked beans from NZ so I bought then instead. I haven't tried them yet, how do you think they compare with the Aussie SPC version? This is one reason I enjoy living in Pattaya, you get a chance to try products from all around the world, whereas if I was back in Britain I'd never stray beyond a can of Heinz baked beans. I prefer the SPC beans to the British Heinz version, which surpised me greatly.

IMG20210812094354.thumb.jpg.61787ea25d7c1b613e3c62b93a6f0839.jpg

Read the label on the back, Heinz Watties, Kraft Heinz owns Watties, Mighty fine spaghetti and beans! 

• Haha 1

On 8/12/2021 at 2:46 PM, Guderian said:

I haven't tried them yet, how do you think they compare with the Aussie SPC version?

I think baked beans are like a lot of food items, we tend to prefer the version we grew up with. Growing up in New Zealand, I prefer Watties. If you grew up in the UK or the USA or Australia, you might not find Watties to your taste and likely prefer the version you grew up with. My American friends all swore by Heinz but when I tried it, I preferred what I grew up with, Watties.

• Like 2