Different prices on different devices

Klong Song

My wife checked a price for a product on Lazada. 40 Baht. I checked the price for the same product on my iPad. 59 Baht. Then I checked the price for the same product on my phone. 75 Baht. Can someone help me understand why Lazada shows three different prices on three different devices for the exact same product?

• Like 1

Always buy 20 kg Dog Food form Lazada for some years, mostly from the same seller. always next day delivery....  I ordered last New years Eve, and the delivery was New Year's day !!! in a private car..

Last order was some 80 baht cheaper from a different seller, delivery was day 8..

every other month buy 20 Kg Fish food, from different sellers all are slow  5 - 16 days for delivery...

Is it possible that the price also = delivery time ?  + Delivery charges for smaller items = FREE or 22 baht or 49 baht all for the same item.

On 8/7/2021 at 8:21 PM, Klong Song said:

My wife checked a price for a product on Lazada. 40 Baht. I checked the price for the same product on my iPad. 59 Baht. Then I checked the price for the same product on my phone. 75 Baht.

You say the same product........ , nothing unusual to have same product with different pricing. Its called marketing. 

Now, if it was the same product from the same vendor this would be something worth noting. 

It's called differential pricing.

Simply put, Apple users are willing to pay more so their total profit is higher by charging Apple users more.

Other examples of this:

- discounted student/senior pricing - non-students/seniors are on average willing to pay more so they earn more by charging them more than students/seniors

- university scholarships - many unis/schools use scholarships to charge everyone different prices to maximise the amount they charge each student

- and everyone's favourite - national park entrance fees - farangs on average can afford to pay more so they charge more.

Edited by wprime

As suggested, clear the cache each and every time prior to log into those shopping platforms. You will have to "accept cookies" each and every time but your electronic footprint you left during the previous visit(s) will be gone. 
The browser also transmits details of how the platform's website is accessed with which browser and operating system. With airlines I found out, that accessing through a phone application can be cheaper than on a desktop MacIntosh; those little cookies are apparently quite a good investment -for the website operator - after all ???? 

• Like 1

My wife checked a price for a product on Lazada. 40 Baht. I checked the price for the same product on my iPad. 59 Baht. Then I checked the price for the same product on my phone. 75 Baht. Can someone help me understand why Lazada shows three different prices on three different devices for the exact same product?

Example? Link(s)?

Are all three URLs the same? Is everyone logged in? Same or different accounts?

Suspect you're looking in different stores. Happens all the time.

And prices change hourly.

• Like 1

The same seller may be selling the same product at different prices as a loss leader. Only a small amount at the lower price to get customers in. Once that has sold out you cannot buy so look at the next price up.

Happened to me yesterday. Clicked on something to buy, but would not go through. Had same article slightly more expensive, from same seller and could buy.

I think the different browsers are partly the issue here. When searching for a product, almost of anything, on the same browser on one device, the precise same product is being offered at greatly varying prices by different sellers. And the pictures of them are often exactly the same as well.

Shopping around, is the way, taking account of delivery charge also.

Sellers set their pricing on Lazada.

Lazada offers tools to help sellers set, manage and adjust pricing.

Pricing tools can be automated to do things like match and undercut competitors' prices on the same platform. Or vary price downward to deplete inventory on a SKU.

Not sure these tools support browser type or device type differentiation?

And not sure how much effort goes into "differential pricing" on a commodity item in the 49 - 75 baht price range?

You want to try the food variety section at Lazada, different prices for the same thing is regular, and the same price for a packet of 1 pkt Smash potatoes as 3 pkts. Probably a con trick by the seller which I fell for.

Can someone help me understand why Lazada shows three different prices on three different devices for the exact same product?

Lazada does not set the prices, the sellers do. If you search something, for example if you search for "Huawei P40 pro" you get about 102 pages of shops selling various products, 44 shops on each page, sometimes with the same shop appearing multiple times on the same page. Many have varying prices, then you have to look at the details to see why the prices are different.

Is it different prices for the same product on the same link?
I was reading an article about that a couple of days ago. Apparently big companies website's can detect the computer you're using and charge you more if they think you're rich.

"Unscrupulous firms that gather large quantities of customer data, including information that helps them estimate someone’s wealth by detecting the computer they are using, are also likely to face a clampdown.
James Daley, managing director of consumer group Fairer Finance, said: ‘It is totally unacceptable to penalise people based on the type of computer they’re using. It is a way to use data to exploit consumers just because they’ve had the money to buy a more expensive computer – but they could have been gifted it and be of moderate means.’
"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9798689/New-rules-stop-online-retailers-charging-Apple-owners-higher-prices.html

• 3 months later...

As others have mentioned, this is very common across all industries. For example, in the backend of Agoda/booking.com et al, hoteliers can set different pricing models based on the nationality of the booker, or the country they are booking from. Most consumers are oblivious to this.

Edited by Led Lolly Yellow Lolly

18 hours ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

As others have mentioned, this is very common across all industries. For example, in the backend of Agoda/booking.com et al, hoteliers can set different pricing models based on the nationality of the booker, or the country they are booking from. Most consumers are oblivious to this.

But Shopee/Lazada don't do it, OP was just looking at different shops.