Immunocompromised US teacher stuck in Thailand without access to vaccine

webfact

12 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

I've not had any difficulty getting the Astra Zeneca vaccine in Thailand, but maybe I've not understood what her problem is.

why don't you share your experience - I have my doubts it was as easy as you claim - maybe your situation is very unique compared to the rest of us - for example you may be employed and your empoyer arranged it for you - not typical of most people on here 

Also BPH called in some registered patients under an exclusive program - that is hardly the norm either 

So to say you did not have any difficulty might be exclusive to you - or you live or had to travel to Bangkok and put yourself at risk among many hundreds of people at the Station - something I was not willing to do

But hey you're da man  

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, smedly said:

why don't you share your experience - I have my doubts it was as easy as you claim - maybe your situation is very unique compared to the rest of us - for example you may be employed and your empoyer arranged it for you - not typical of most people on here 

Also BPH called in some registered patients under an exclusive program - that is hardly the norm either 

So to say you did not have any difficulty might be exclusive to you - or you live or had to travel to Bangkok and put yourself at risk among many hundreds of people at the Station - something I was not willing to do

But hey you're da man  

I contacted several hospitals in Bangkok at which I am registered, and this eventually resulted in a confidential invitation for a vaccine at one of them. I am elderly, and it was a rather tiring, time-consuming and tedious exercise. Nothing very clever on my part, just perseverance.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

It seems to me reading the article that, given her immuno-compromised condition, she does not want to travel unless she is fully vaccinated with US FDA approved vaccines.

From CDC website:

International Travel During COVID-19
Updated June 10, 2021
Do not travel internationally until you are fully vaccinated.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/international-travel-during-covid19.html

The portion you quote above is the CDC's advice to Americans considering outbound travel out of the U.S.

The implication of the Fox news report, which is false, is that the U.S. is requiring FDA approved vaccinations for Americans who have been abroad to return to the U.S.  There is no such requirement for returning Americans, at least for now.

However, I can understand the woman's personal perspective on not feeling comfortable in returning via international travel right now, because of her immunocompromised condition.

Per the same CDC website you quoted above. This is the current U.S. requirement for Americans returning from abroad:

• Before you arrive in the United States:
    • All air passengers coming to the United States, including U.S. citizens and fully vaccinated people, are required to have a negative COVID-19 test result no more than 3 days before travel or documentation of recovery from COVID-19 in the past 3 months before they board a flight to the United States.
  • After travel:
    • Get tested with a viral test 3-5 days after travel.
    • Self-monitor for COVID-19 symptoms; isolate and get tested if you develop symptoms.
    • Follow all state and local recommendations or requirements after travel.

And further:

Recommendations For Unvaccinated People

If you are not fully vaccinated and must travel, take the following steps to protect yourself and others from COVID-19: [etc etc.]

and

"If you have a condition or are taking medication that weakens your immune system, you may NOT be fully protected even if you are fully vaccinated. Talk to your healthcare provider. Even after vaccination, you may need to continue taking all precautions."

18 hours ago, WEBBYB808 said:

A Teacher!  Has she not been keeping up with the vaccination program?

Per the U.S. CDC re someone with this woman's situation:

"If you have a condition or are taking medication that weakens your immune system, you may NOT be fully protected even if you are fully vaccinated. Talk to your healthcare provider."

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/international-travel-during-covid19.html

18 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

She should register at intervac, expatvac, nearest hospital. IMO, the Embassy should reach out subtly and assist this woman to get a vaccination.

See the US CDC's advice above re people who are immunocompromised.

It's not quite as simple as just getting a vaccine.

17 hours ago, Kelsall said:

There are no FDA approved COVID-19 vaccines.

The main U.S.-used vaccines all have current emergency use authorizations, with regular approvals due to start coming very soon:

F.D.A. Aims to Give Final Approval to Pfizer Vaccine by Early Next Month

Aug. 3, 2021

WASHINGTON — With a new surge of coronavirus infections ripping through much of the United States, the Food and Drug Administration has accelerated its timetable to fully approve Pfizer-BioNTech’s coronavirus vaccine, aiming to complete the process by the start of next month, people familiar with the effort said.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/03/us/politics/pfizer-vaccine-approval.html

9 hours ago, KeeTua said:

That article makes a single reference to Pfizer but it doesn't clearly state that the Pfizer doses are destined for those that register at expatvac. I'm still little skeptical but hope its true they will be using Pfizer for all that register there:

"Previously, Thailand's Center for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) said that 150,000 doses of the Pfizer vaccine, donated by the US government, would be allocated for foreigners in Thailand."

They've subsequently changed their policy on that.

Now, the 150,000 doses that originally were supposed to be allocated just to foreign nationals are instead going to be shared with Thai students, diplomats and others who need a Pfizer vaccine to travel abroad.

They (Thai students, diplomats, etc) originally were going to have their own separate Pfizer vaccine allocation, but that got removed and they were lumped into the foreign nationals allocation, thus effectively reducing the number available for foreign nationals.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

2 hours ago, Albert Zweistein said:

Lots of people criticize this lady but no one knows what kind of cancer she was suffering of. Could have been lung cancer making her more vulnerable to Covid.

First sentence OP:

CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCIV) — Elisabeth Williamson, 63, has had a troubling 18 months. She battled breast cancer, completing treatment in 2019, but now has stumbled upon a new fight: Making it back home.

26 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

First sentence OP:

CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCIV) — Elisabeth Williamson, 63, has had a troubling 18 months. She battled breast cancer, completing treatment in 2019, but now has stumbled upon a new fight: Making it back home.

Sometimes my eyes work faster than my data storage.

17 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

just mentioning it though... 

congrats on the survival - and the best way to win the lottery is not to play... 

that should keep you sorted for a week or so... 

it's a pity you didn't get the joke (sigh). next time perhaps.

Edited by SmartyMarty

5 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Per the U.S. CDC re someone with this woman's situation:

"If you have a condition or are taking medication that weakens your immune system, you may NOT be fully protected even if you are fully vaccinated. Talk to your healthcare provider."

Absolutely certain, for example, chemotherapy would weaken your immune system and you should isolate, even if fully vaccinated. 

Edited by jacko45k

5 hours ago, Albert Zweistein said:

Lots of people criticize this lady but no one knows what kind of cancer she was suffering of. Could have been lung cancer making her more vulnerable to Covid.

It was breast cancer, try reading the article 

20 hours ago, Olmate said:

Which non covid epicentre airport/flight do intend using? 

Good point.  I envisage a deserted Suvarnabumi; staffed by skeletons; me wearing a bio-hazard suit, carrying an oxygen cylinder sufficient for 15 hours shallow breathing.  I would partake of no food but consume copious quantities of alcohol to kill any floating Covid cells.

22 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Last time I flew, first class was a bit expensive for people that teach in Thailand for a living. Even business is probably out of reach as well, unless she is independently wealthy, and if she was this thread would likely never have happened, IMO.

Business class is not too bad.  But few if any people pay in cash, if that is even allowed any more, not at most of the check in kiosks I don't think.  Does she not have a basic credit card that has enough available credit to charge on plane ticket?  Then sort out the billing and paying later.

6 minutes ago, gk10012001 said:

Business class is not too bad.  But few if any people pay in cash, if that is even allowed any more, not at most of the check in kiosks I don't think.  Does she not have a basic credit card that has enough available credit to charge on plane ticket?  Then sort out the billing and paying later.

Obviously I don't know her situation, but I see little difference sitting in biz or first compared to economy if sitting at the back of the plane where there are less seats. It might even be cheaper buying 2 seats compared to biz or first, so can sit by self.

Anyway, I don't think the problem was being able to afford a seat. Tell me if I'm wrong.

32 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Anyway, I don't think the problem was being able to afford a seat. Tell me if I'm wrong.

The 'problem' as I suggested, is that, if flying back to US un-vaccinated and with her medical circumstances, business or first class would be better.

Edited by jerrymahoney

On 8/9/2021 at 6:53 PM, smedly said:

But hey you're da man  

Why do posts like these keep showing up? Why don't people find their way to the actual sources of information that clearly show these vaccines are perfectly available to foreigners? It seems that many prefer to stick in their own circles whining about how difficult it all is while in reality it is very simple. Thailandintervac.com points the way to several hospitals in Bangkok where you can simply make an appointment and get the jab. The woman in the article can do the same thing. Actually I've notified the news paper of the original article to tell her but haven't heard back. Well it's fine if people want to keep deluding themselves. I don't really care. But I wish they would stop propagating this nonsense on the web.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Eibot said:

My unvaccinated US friend just flew home two weeks ago to NC. This story is bull

Doing the same thing in 2 months with the girlfriend. Getting Vaccinated the same day we land in USA. Just need to double mask up, avoid being to close to  people and wash the hands 10 times a day . 

• Thanks 1

On 8/9/2021 at 4:41 AM, webfact said:

she does not have access to an FDA approved vaccine.

Why?...

ThailandIntervac.com

The new vaccine appointment method will be via booking in advance or “pre-registration” with the following hospitals.

As of today, the Pfizer, AstraZenec, and Sinovac vaccines  are available. The target groups in the current phase is for:
- People 60 years old and above

Edited by Liverpool Lou