Thai research body predicts a million jobless by year end if pandemic persists

snoop1130

Taking into account, that you meant to write "one million MORE" I still tend to consider your estimate too conservative. The situation is much, much worse as you have to take all unemployed into consideration and not only the staff which is known to the social security insurance. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

And imagine what the figure would be if they had Time and Motion experts in which found that 90% of the jobs people do was just shuffling endless forms to no real purpose and their jobs should go.

You mean half of Immigration staff would go 55555

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Maybe they mean 1 million MORE job losses. 

The tourist industry and most other industries are close to zero. 

Thai economy at the worst over 30y

They forgot the job losses in numbers they themselves said since start of covid. 

Unemployment easily 10million => total any industry!!! As at the end much counts for total GDP

1 hour ago, Iron Tongue said:

Sure, export the unemployed sex workers to the UK and give them minimum wage jobs at the super...  

How long do you think they'd stay at that job before disappearing underground and into the UK sex industry, or get trafficked to the Continent for sex work?

Hong Kong has announced that they will again start taking in "domestic helpers" from Thailand, Indonesia and the Philippines. But thitk they ha5 to  e vaccinated , tested and quarantined. Also ability to speak some Cantonese or mandarin is an advantage. 

The local and expat ladies with money just HAVE to have someone to do that pesky cleaning, shopping, cooking and looking after their kids. 

Maybe 1m tax paying jobs lost but since the pandemic 10m casual and seasonal have disappeared probaly another 10m with reduced incomes.

Thailand's lower skilled work force will be more effected  because labour is cheap more working closer together.

in the west you get 1 delivery driver in thailand you get 2 or 3

Saw them get locked out of there truck while delivering to my local 7/11 absolutely clueless.

traditional most who have worked abroad do farm labouring or massage/sex they lack langurage and skills so they are limited

Edited by tomyami

15 hours ago, EricTh said:

I thought at least 10% i.e. 7 million have already lost their jobs? Thailand population is 70 million.

1 million doesn't seem right. It's more like 14 million will lose their jobs.

Will lose there jobs, i think it is HAVE lost.

3 hours ago, samjaidee said:

Perhaps this is a silly question but is Thailand a welfare state? Do the unemployed get any form of state benefits like they do in western countries? If not, how do they measure how many people are unemployed or do the government just randomly guess like they appear to do with most statistics?

https://www.social-protection.org/gimi/gess/ShowWiki.action?id=443

So what link above tells, there must be a contibutions by employers for longer time before employees can get benefits. Text is by the laws in 2010, so there were benefits already then. Laws and benefits might be different nowdays, and someone who knows better can update what are rules nowdays.

I read earlier this year in the newspaper, Bangkok Post, an interview. Guy who had lost some basic job told he could get 500 baht from government every month, so benefits might be at that level for many.

There is a link on the same website for old-age benefits, so there are those also. My wifes both parents get those. I don't post sums, as I don't remember how much, but benefits are now higher than couple years ago.

Edited by Habbo
Can't type correctly

21 hours ago, placeholder said:

It seems a remarkably low estimate. But the way Thailand figures unemployment does not tally with the way most middle income and fully developed nations do. Even in ordinary times their figures aren't of much use.

That TAT calculator seems to get about doesn't it lmao

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thai Research needs  to do some "research"  & a reality check before bursting into print.

The unemployed rate in the overall "hospitality industry alone would top 3 million people at least, not to mention the unemployed now of the far too many shopping centres many of the staff who had been on contract to avoid Thai Labour Laws

• Like 2

6 hours ago, steven100 said:

agree ......  and still your expected to give them all  300b / day each .   I've seen so many lazy Thai's in my time, they never clean up a room, they leave <deleted> everywhere,  they lay or sit whenever they can playing games on the phone. Pathetic lot imo.

Shock horror...really? Your still expected to pay them all 300 baht a day! Don't know where your from but even a tradies apprentice where I'm from would average 1000 baht an hour..any fully ticketed tradesman would be 2500 baht an hour all day.

How hard would you be putting in for cents an hour there champ.? <deleted>

Give me a break 

Edited by metisdead
Profane acronym removed.

8 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

More  like  500 a  day round here

Wheres here.

Widening the  road last year in Sakon Nakhon they were offering 250 baht for a days work. I assume the contractor was keeping 50 baht per worker for himself.

I pay 1000 baht an hour to my regular workers who do tile, cement, plumbing etc.

Great workers.  I was Lucky to get them.  Most of the guys up here are heavy drinkers, take Yaba, or just plain lazy.  Those guys can pull weeds and dig holes for 300 baht a day.

Issan is a different world.

I'm happy to pay well for good consistent work.  I treat them and there families well, as I should.

Edited by MrJ2U

3 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Wheres here.

Widening the  road last year in Sakon Nakhon they were offering 250 baht for a days work. I assume the contractor was keeping 50 baht per worker for himself.

I pay 1000 baht an hour to my regular workers who do tile, cement, plumbing etc.

Great workers.  I was Lucky to get them.  Most of the guys up here are heavy drinkers, take Yaba, or just plain lazy.  Those guys can pull weeds and dig holes for 300 baht a day.

Issan is a different world.

I'm happy to pay well for good consistent work.  I treat them and there families well, as I should.

Bt.1000.00 per hour?

which would be Bt.8000.00 per day.

or about Bt.200,000.00 per month.....  For  plumbing and tile work?

Are you serious?

Does your workers benefits include housing at the Hilton Hotel, as well?

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Bt.1000.00 per hour?

which would be Bt.8000.00 per day.

or about Bt.200,000.00 per month.....  For  plumbing and tile work?

Are you serious?

Does your workers benefits include housing at the Hilton Hotel, as well?

I suspect he meant 100 Baht/hr or perhaps 1,000 Baht per day.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, placeholder said:

Sure, That's why the automobile manufacturing industry has grown so hugely in Thailand. Because 90% of the workers are getting nothing done. Maybe you should let Toyota know about this?

Maybe Toyota  employ  the 10%  who can actually do the work, pretty sure the Japanese  wont  take  any nonsense. No scrub that, all Thai  workers  sare  excellent id  hire them all in a  day and their  families, whats  become of  Thai  Visa!

Edited by Rampant Rabbit
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, starky said:

Shock horror...really? Your still expected to pay them all 300 baht a day! Don't know where your from but even a tradies apprentice where I'm from would average 1000 baht an hour..any fully ticketed tradesman would be 2500 baht an hour all day.

How hard would you be putting in for cents an hour there champ.? <deleted>

Give me a break 

Where  your  from, so NOT  Thai related and irrelevant.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2021 at 4:44 PM, MrJ2U said:

Thats a positive spin.

I think maybe 20 people out of 800 that currently work in our town.

All teachers, sitting around laughing and drinking.

Everything but teaching.

Yes, it's a shame. Definitely not good optics in these times. There's been talk in my village about it, pretty much split. Some happy to see me still working and providing for my fam. Others who are like, why's he still working, and I'm not?

I do wish some of the teachers didn't flaunt it so much. Clocking in then taking off, spending the afternoons at restaurants and coffee shops, for the town to see. Yet in my office, we've been hustling. Trying to get the students to do the work, attend video call meetings. Most are lazy and fallen behind with silly excuses, had to help the parents, bad Internet. Yet some of my colleagues have called them out, noting their Facebook activity. Haha. For the ones truly way out in the sticks with no Internet, my boss has printed of packets of worksheets and driven out there. There's still a few good ones amongst us.

I just paid for our motorbike the other day, financed direct with a small chain of dealers here in Issan. Thankfully it's almost done. My wife's got them on Line and sends the lady the transfer receipt. She's been replying very quickly with a kapum na ka. Why so quick, my wife asked? Because we're one of the few who's still paying, she replies.

• Like 2

On 8/10/2021 at 11:42 AM, snoop1130 said:

He warned that, if the situation persists until year end, about a million people will have lost their jobs, accounting for 2.5-3% of people of working age.

That is not much to warn about. If the numbers are correct, which they never are, that is a very low percentage of unemployment.

Latin America, North America and Europe have an unemployment rate of between 8-10%

The world average is almost 6,5% and the total of SEA is about 4,3%

They actually have about 1% lower unemployment than the world had during the high in the start of 1990s.

What is that to warn over?