Thai Health Ministry sends 645,000 Doses of Pfizer COVID-19 Vaccine to “Dark-red” Provinces

snoop1130

38acff7d4239d6f06d663c308006d50b_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - Thailand’s Public Health Ministry has begun distributing 645,000 doses of the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine, donated by the US government, to those deemed vulnerable in 13 “dark-red” provinces.

Emergency Disease and Health Hazards Control Division Director Dr Chawetsan Namwat said these vulnerable groups are the elderly, people with any of seven underlying diseases and pregnant women. They will get the first shot of vaccine and the second dose will be given three weeks later.

He said the Department of Disease Control (DDC) has distributed at least 100,000 doses of the Pfizer vaccine to medical staff and front-line workers in all 77 provinces since August 3rd and plans to provide more of the donated vaccine to other target groups.

Meanwhile, US Ambassador to the United Nations Linda Thomas-Greenfield said, at the MedPark Hospital Vaccination Centre in Bangkok yesterday, that the US government is also providing US$5 million in assistance to Thailand, which will provide support to healthcare workers administering vaccines and strengthen the Thai health system’s ability to prevent, detect and respond to COVID-19.

nnt.jpg

17 minutes ago, rbkk said:

"...at least 100,000 doses of the Pfizer vaccine to medical staff and front-line workers in all 77 provinces...."

Isn't that but a tiny fraction of people eligible for boosters? I've seen numbers between 500,000 and 700,000. The story from Pattani yesterday (and Bangkok?) about doctors having to draw lucky straws because not enough Pfizer doses were delivered is another stain on Thailand. How long before the doctors stay home fearing for their safety?

wasn't there a posting of some military guy boasting about his Pfizer jab a couple of days ago with a photo

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Scrotobike said:

Some Pfizer will come to ISSAN - 

image.png.d9b59b166cb385fc5ff59029d0b2893d.png

Although Pfizer was working on smaller packs, I think for the doses to remain viable they have to ship a pack (where the dry ice has to be replaced regularly - at least every 30 days), and that is 195 vials and each vial is 10 doses... so for one location I think (not an expert, but logically thinking) -- you will need at least a distribution of 1950 doses.   If the program is just for expats, then I suspect it is not logistically easily doable to have multiple vaccine distributions dependent on who it is -- in many parts of Issan... at least that is my fear.  I am waiting patently though hoping to be 'guesxperting' wrong ????

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

Although Pfizer was working on smaller packs, I think for the doses to remain viable they have to ship a pack (where the dry ice has to be replaced regularly - at least every 30 days), and that is 195 vials and each vial is 10 doses... so for one location I think (not an expert, but logically thinking) -- you will need at least a distribution of 1950 doses.   If the program is just for expats, then I suspect it is not logistically easily doable to have multiple vaccine distributions dependent on who it is -- in many parts of Issan... at least that is my fear.  I am waiting patently though hoping to be 'guesxperting' wrong ????

The vaccine is also not so robust, and needs careful handling by trained users.  I don't see this going out to most provinces at all.

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

What would Thailand do or be without the donations of other countries i wonder? how come a rich country such as Thailand can not buy their own like all the other countries do? Thai people being a proud nation hate to loses face and all, aren't ashamed to be getting a handouts again and again?...

Totally agree,, you beat me to it... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mommysboy said:

The vaccine is also not so robust, and needs careful handling by trained users.  I don't see this going out to most provinces at all.

You do know that Pfizer is distributed through vaccination at Pharmacies in countries like the US and Australia?

As far as I can tell, the skills needed are not special and most nurses should have no problem.  They would likely setup a preparation station, and then several stations where they would take the prepared vaccine to a station where they would then inject the vaccine, then when their basket was empty they would go back and get the next lot of prepared vaccines. 

I think you are overstating the fragility of the vaccine or the incompetence of the nurses doing the vaccinations. 

I have been stating 10 doses per vial, they indicate 6... maybe I was assuming another vaccine and Pfizer would be exactly the same doses per vial.  Also it seems to indicate that the ultra low temps for distribution are from manufacturing and that there is 30 days after removing from the ultra-low temp storage. 

Edited by bkkcanuck8
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ezzra said:

Thai people being a proud nation hate to loses face and all, aren't ashamed to be getting a handouts again and again?...

Is that your impression? 

Mine is that they will never turn down a gift or a handout or loan or a tip, and not be shy asking for another one in the future. I need to climb the social ladder.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Thailand’s Public Health Ministry has begun distributing 645,000 doses of the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine, donated by the US government, to those deemed vulnerable in 13 “dark-red” provinces.

I'm in a dark red zone bordering Bangkok... got my jab Tuesday....

only two choices, Astra if you are over 60 or have complications

Sinovac for all the rest.

I guess Pfizer hasn't arrived yet.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Instead of sending cash to Thailand, US needs to send more Pfizer (or start sending Moderna).  At least the Thai authorities have done a halfway decent job of distribution to the most in need.  Cash too easily goes into someone’s pocket.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Yes,

Is this there plan?

Slowly get drips and drabs of donated vaccines so you don't have to pay for it?

Cheap Charlie's in the grandest order!

Nobody is safe until all are vaccinated cheap Charlie or rich hi-so.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ezzra said:

What would Thailand do or be without the donations of other countries i wonder? how come a rich country such as Thailand can not buy their own like all the other countries do? Thai people being a proud nation hate to loses face and all, aren't ashamed to be getting a handouts again and again?...

Sadly, it has come to this.  Remember, last year the government chose SinoVac and contract manufacture AZ, over the experimental US made Pfizer/Moderna vaccines.  But they didn’t have to make a choice.  Could have spread out the orders to multiple manufacturers.

In 3 days I'm scheduled for a Pfizer jab at Medpark however I have not yet gotten a confirmation email.  Only an email instructing me on which documents to bring.  My wife called yesterday to find out if I'm really confirmed and the nurse told us over the phone that I am.  However she could not send out the confirmation email since this was the IT department's job.  Nothing yet from them however I understand how much work it takes to send out an what should be an automated email.

It seems that whether it's a private or public institution, if there is an opportunity to screw things up (or maximize the chances of a screw-up) it is seized upon.  If I ever get to Medpark for the jab I'd be surprised if they have functioning lights and air conditioning. I half-expect the staff to be straight out of a Thai version of The Hills Have Eyes. The incompetence and indifference for something so important and impactful to Thailand and human life is astounding.

Like many other third world countries, Thailand is putting its priority onto defending its borders against the bad, bad Burmese/Myanmarese, Cambodians, Laotians and the most aggressive Malays with submarines diving in shallow waters and an aircraft carrier without aircraft.

Hence I fully understand that there are not enough resources to take care of health-related issues for its own people - the writing has been on the wall ever since! 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Is that your impression? 

Mine is that they will never turn down a gift or a handout or loan or a tip, and not be shy asking for another one in the future. I need to climb the social ladder.

someone remembers, or better even knows, what happened to the vaccine offered from India, before they closed their exports due to rising infections at home ?

17 hours ago, ezzra said:

Certain people are rich in Thailand but that doesn't apply to 99pc of the population. There was a large foreign reserve surplus but who knows where that has gone?¹