Allowance to the maid after death of the foreign employer

geovalin

Please move my message to the good forum if I picked up the wrong one.

My friend is nearly 97 years old and I guess he's closer from the end than from the beginning. We need to sort out some issue.

He gets the same maid since around 30 years.

Very devoted person. Not a single day off since my friend is bedridden (2 years).

She receives a decent salary.

When the unfortunate day will come and my friend will pass away (can be within 5 years or tomorrow), does his son have to give any allowance to the maid due the "end of contract" ? By the way, my friend and the maid never signed any contract.

By the way, my friend mentioned the maid in his will. She'll get 100 000 bahts.

As you are reading me, please allow a last question. This maid needs a small surgery (someone will help her at work during this time), does my friend need to pay any thing regarding the medical expenses of the employee ?

Thank you

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

22 hours ago, tonray said:

he should IMHO provide a gratuity commensurate with her value to him during his time of need.

But he has already via 'She receives a decent salary'. Her choice

18 hours ago, chuang said:

Should be generous as she worked 2 years without off days .

But 'She receives a decent salary'. Her choice.

18 minutes ago, AlQaholic said:

the maid, having worked for the employer for more than 10 years, is entitled to a severance payment of her current salary for 400 days.

Not if he dies penniless. I'm sure he's paying her over the minimum government wage.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

4 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

But 'She receives a decent salary'. Her choice.

Not if he dies penniless. I'm sure he's paying her over the minimum government wage.

I'm just stating what the law of Thailand says. The estate of the deceased is a legal entity in this context, meaning the estate has the same legal obligations as the deceased. Minimum government wages has nothing to do with it.

Edited by AlQaholic
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, AlQaholic said:

if she has worked for an employer

I think that you are referring to a business/company where tax is paid and she gets a wage slip. Hence the 'government legal wage'.I could be wrong.

Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AlQaholic said:

The Thai Labor protection act is clear, the maid, having worked for the employer for more than 10 years, is entitled to a severance payment of her current salary for 400 days.

Interesting. The 'employer' dies. Who is liable for severance pay? Is it applicable when the 'employer' dies? Does the estate have to cough up? What happens if the estate has insufficient funds for the payment?

Oh, and the surgery is not covered under the Thai 30 baht national insurance? Medication also not covered?

Edited by Scott Tracy
Added last paragraph.
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Iron Tongue said:

I also think 100k baht seems low. 

Thai law to termination pay.

Severance pays

Severance pay must be paid to the employee when he/she is dismissed without cause and is based on the duration of the employment:

LENGTH OF SERVICE SEVERANCE PAY RATE
120 DAYS ~ < 1 YEAR 30 DAYS
1 YEAR ~ < 3 YEARS 90 DAYS
3 YEARS ~ < 6 YEARS 180 DAYS
6 YEARS ~ < 10 YEARS 240 DAYS
10 YEARS ~ < 20 YEARS 300 DAYS
> 20 YEARS 400 DAYS

https://franklegaltax.com/dismissal-of-employees-in-thailand/?utm_source=Mondaq&utm_medium=syndication&utm_campaign=LinkedIn-integration

Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Haha 1

It is somewhat within the decision of the employer as she is not working under the SS protection act nor will the labourDept get involved.

But 10 months severance pay sounds reasonable which is the highest the Labour Dept offers anyway.

Not knowing what salary she is on now I have no "starting point"

There is no tax liability on this payment

• Like 1

On 8/12/2021 at 10:38 AM, geovalin said:

She'll get 100 000 bahts

I splattered my beer on my keyboard .......    she'll get a lousy 100,000 baht for putting up with grumpy for 30 years.

enough said,   I can only think of one thing,  and you don't wanna hear it ......   

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"...she has earned it"

She hasn't been doing it out if the goodness of her heart, she been well paid for doing it!

Did you collect any retirement plan or pension plan after being being well paid for years?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

If old matey goes toes up.... has she been terminated or just a victim of circumstance ?

Moot point though if the maid was not legally employed rather a "i will give you 5k a month" employee.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:
On 8/11/2021 at 10:49 PM, tonray said:

he should IMHO provide a gratuity commensurate with her value to him during his time of need.

By law, if she's an employee (she is), he should be paying taxes on her and paying into the Thai Social Security fund, which would cover her needed surgery.  The income taxes will probably amount to zero because of deductions at a low salary level, but the SS payments would have gone a long way to covering her health needs.

In practice, I don't know how her surgery would be handled, but I suspect the Labor Department will be sure she gets the prescribed severance pay if she chooses to contact them.

• Like 1