Thai PM advised to stop the export of AstraZeneca vaccine for use domestically

snoop1130

12 minutes ago, Surasak said:

True enough, but as the discussion is about Thailand. I don't see your point.

The topic is about exporting the AZ vax to other countries. Anyway, it is valid to compare Thailand to other nations.

Edited by champers

Why would they stop supplying Philippines when they pay 2.5 times the amount the Thai govt pays.

Remember who owns these companies and all of the snouts in the trough down the pecking line.

It will never stop supplying other countries even at the expense of their own people. It’s better financially to buy Sinovac and export Astra.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

One has to wonder how Iron clad the signed agreement is that SB has with AZ, and if there are penalties and repercussions that can be levied against SB such as canceling the contract and leaving them without the necessary ingredients to process the vaccine.  Tenuous at best. 

The one thing you may be certain of , is the big Pharma such as AZ, employ some of the sharpest minds on the Planet to protect their interests, and SB will just be along for the ride.

Not a good idea to just stop exports. Negotiate a variation to the agreement to increase the amount retained in Thailand over say a 3 month period. More prudent way to go I would say, to avoid consequences of just stopping.

OK, so screw other ASEAN countries and their contractual rights (and possibly more professional planning) on the subject. 
What amazes me is that nobody fingerpoints the real culprits in this whole mess; on 20 September last year apparently the top health banana confirmed 3 million jabs monthly. Later on the big uncle took over and endorsed the health minister's activities. 

Not only will this put Siam Bioscience, its board and owners into hot water but will send the confidence into the legal system in Thailand as well as Thailand as such nosediving further. 

Flip side might be, that there will be even more Baht for all the foreign coins and banknotes ..... 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, club said:

The PM needs to take advice from his legal team instead of a Doctor 

Well they did grant themselves the power to do this, so technically, as with all thing here, it would be "legal".

National Vaccine Security Act
B.E. 2561 (2018)

Section 18 In case of emergency or necessary cause for public interest, for prevention, control, treatment or abatement of disease severity or for security of the country, the Cabinet under consent of the Committee shall have power to promulgate and prescribe any of the following issues:

(1) Manufacture vaccine in determined kind and quantity; 

(2) The proportion of temporary vaccine exportation out of the Kingdom shall be proper for the proportion of domestic vaccine usage;

Whether it would hold up in courts outside of Thailand is unknown.

What is known is that it would be IDIOTIC to do something like this. Hence, a good chance it might happen. The regime is seeing support peel away daily, especially from the salim, minions and dinosaurs. Controlling the epidemic is key to maintaining power. So yeah, they're desperate and will probably do anything to stay in power.

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Well the perception is that otherwise they shaft their own people. I am not sure how accurate that would be, but exporting vaccines as local people die does little for the sentiment of them.

Quite right, and now they are between two bad decisions. Either one will damage them. Quite happy to see them in this position. Not so happy that this is a game with peoples lives. They could save Thais but others will die then. 

I wonder if he'd be saying this is a valid strategy if the vaccines were being manufactured in Malaysia, and how much he would cry like a little girl when Malaysia stopped Thailand's flow of vaccines.

Selfish much?

• Haha 1

I certainly hope that Prayuth will not be listening to this advice which is made by someone who can't see further than the tip of his nose. The most important thing in business is TRUST. This advice is the quickest and easiest way to destroy trust, and make sure anyone thinking of setting up shop in Thailand in the future switches to another country.

This advice could actually cost trillions of baht in future business impact.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, StevieAus said:

I think you have hit the nail on the head, If you think back over twelve months ago the infection rates in Thailand were minimal.

Prayut, Anutin and whoever were advising them obviously thought Covid would bypass Thailand or the effects would be minimal.

I don’t believe that there was any conspiracy it was incompetence.

Incompetence for sure.

There was also almost certainly a form of conspiracy , based upon the desire for a certain figure to be hailed Thailand's vaccine hero.