Lockdown in Thailand will cost businesses upwards of 1 trillion baht if it continues in September

webfact

9pmSUN.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Thai Chamber of Commerce says that lockdown measures in Thailand this year will have cost businesses 1 trillion baht by the end of this month.

If lockdowns continue into September, Sanan Angubonkul said the figure would go past a trillion baht into even worse territory. 

He described government action so far as woefully inadequate with more financial measures needed to alleviate the suffering of people in general and businesses. 

In a short report by Sanook he called for more help for businesses, more furlough payments, plus help with overheads and stimulus measures to promote spending and investment. 

He cited figures from the University of the Thai Chamber of Commerce in his assessments. 

asean_now_BB.jpg
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 Trillion Baht is only billion 3,300,000,000 dollars.....

Take just 1 city in America......Seattle Washington......Their 2020 budget was 6 billion dollars...

Your telling me business in Thailand have only lost 1 Trillion baht in the last 18 months?

I bet the real numbers are more like somewhere between 10-20 Trillion baht, maybe more....

• Like 2

Actually it won't cost anywhere near as much. You can open everything up, cancel all restrictions but people still won't spend any more than they do now. Because they have NO MONEY LEFT! And the moment you remove restrictions, the numbers will go to heavens and hope of any tourism income will evaporate as pretty much every country in the World puts Thailand on the blacklist.

But... after that how many ever people die off, when pretty much everyone gets infected, it'll be more or less over. THEN you can just reopen with all restrictions gone.

In my opinion it will continue into September and almost certainly October.

Only an idiot would remove restrictions so soon - so there's always a chance as there's definitely no shortage of idiots making decisions these days.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

The top 10,000 who are in charge in Thailand are doing very well in their palaces. Fat bank accounts and an abundance of everything. They have absolutely no economic pressure to change something quickly. But at some point the patience of the people will come to an end and the ever-increasing anger will boil over and be violently discharged.

It gets closer everyday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/14/2021 at 1:10 PM, webfact said:

If lockdowns continue into September, Sanan Angubonkul said the figure would go past a trillion baht into even worse territory. 

Cancels out Phuket then... so the Sandbox ain't going to help anyone, except keep Phipat in his job and an over inflated salary.

16 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

But at some point the patience of the people will come to an end and the ever-increasing anger will boil over and be violently discharged.

Even CP is losing billions, he ain't gonna sit back and take this shambles forever.

22 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Take just 1 city in America......Seattle Washington......Their 2020 budget was 6 billion dollars...

Your telling me business in Thailand have only lost 1 Trillion baht in the last 18 months?

I bet the real numbers are more like somewhere between 10-20 Trillion baht, maybe more....

I Trillion Baht  =  1,000 Billion Baht  =  (1,000 / 30)  Billion Dollars  =  33 Billion Dollars

And the "Thai Chamber of Commerce says that lockdown measures in Thailand this year will have cost businesses 1 trillion baht by the end of this month", ie in the past 8 months.

Edited by andersonat

The real solution is to get Thais ( & expats), vaccinated, these draconian lockdowns are for show???? Yes I get it that mass gatherings are potential super spreaders, but closing small shops, forbidding a drink with dinner, closing driving license office, closing small business, etc etc it’s just a coverup for the mis-management of vaccine procurement and distribution. Then they allow vaccinated tourists to the Phuket Sandbox, do they not realize that vaccinated people can still carry and spread the virus???? What’s Thailand at now, under 8% fully vaccinated, with a vaccine purported to be less than stellar against the current Delta Virus, it’s a bit like trying to collect water in a sifter????

27E307E4-40BF-4810-AF48-8E0D0B0662EA.jpeg

23 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Maybe check your math. You are off by a decimal point 

Many of the big companies are getting their staff vaccinated. 

Central Retail Group has an organized plan & Teelack got her first jab of

AZ on Tuesday along with some of her co-workers in Chon Buri.   In the Big City they have been vaccinated for weeks now.

They had announced big plans for one million jabs per day, then 10 million per month.  Then empty promises about 20 mil, 30 mil doses of Pfizer ON ORDER

Nobody trusts them any longer because of all the failures to date.  Their credibility is in a shambles because of their own actions.  The Thai economy is on a long slide downward and we haven't seen the bottom yet.  It will be years before the tourism business is approaching the past if it ever truly recovers.  Many wealthy Thai-Chinese families are losing a fortune because of this and they won't forget or forgive. 

3 hours ago, Uroller said:

The real solution is to get Thais ( & expats), vaccinated, these draconian lockdowns are for show???? Yes I get it that mass gatherings are potential super spreaders, but closing small shops, forbidding a drink with dinner, closing driving license office, closing small business, etc etc it’s just a coverup for the mis-management of vaccine procurement and distribution. Then they allow vaccinated tourists to the Phuket Sandbox, do they not realize that vaccinated people can still carry and spread the virus???? What’s Thailand at now, under 8% fully vaccinated, with a vaccine purported to be less than stellar against the current Delta Virus, it’s a bit like trying to collect water in a sifter????

27E307E4-40BF-4810-AF48-8E0D0B0662EA.jpeg

didn't you know that fully vaccinated people still get covid19 and still spread the virus

Before the lockdown it was dead. 

People aren't in the mood to risk getting the virus and dying even if stop the lockdown.

Nobody is going to fly into an unvaccinated country in the middle of a raging pandemic.

50 minutes ago, it is what it is said:

i'm sure the economy will recover pretty quickly, the uk economy in Q2 grew by 4.8%, but all predictions are baseless until the vaccine programme is stepped up with a reliable supply of vaccine, only then will forecasts have some relevance.

Since January 2020, the UK GDP has shrunk by an accumulated 24%, but has subsequently grown by an accumulated 23%. 

--  Yes, the 4.8% *is* certainly Good-News, but (as yet, unfortunately) the UK *still* isn't back to where it was pre-Covid ( - and that's with a "full-on", [reasonably] easily-accessible vaccine-programme).

Edited by andersonat