Where can you vaccinate for free ? Rabies vaccine please, not the flue vaccine

samtab

16 hours ago, internationalism said:

at private I was paying around 400b per shot, and 5 is needed.

At the government hospital, local clinic, probably it would be about half price

Yes, exactly. My son was recently bitten by a stray dog on Ko Samet, and has just undergone the 5-shot vaccine treatment (1st one at Samet hospital) at local clinic in Banchang, Rayong. Price 240 / shot.

Please don't hesitate.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, huangnon said:

Add up the bill and divide by 5 (shots).

1629442457874.jpg

Thank you for posting this, but you did not understand what you are paying.

1 shot on your bill is 544, and you also have to pay doctor fee etc...

After searching more, it seems that nowhere this vaccine can be found for cheaper thank 600 thb, so I wonder how Thai do ? or maybe with social security they do not have to pay ?1

3 hours ago, trunav said:

Nowhere it's free,

Oh sorry. I live in Thailand countryside where the local clinic and small hospital takes care of things for free or 30 baht... 

recently I stepped on a scorpion... ER visit, tetanus shot and bandaged.. 90 baht but I am not Thai...

my gardener had a recent visit to ER - needed some treatment to take a piece of steel from his leg, pain shot, bandaging... 30 baht

I have taken a few family members for rabies shots... I am not fully sure, but I think either 30 baht or free.. but they are Thai..

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, samtab said:

After searching more, it seems that nowhere this vaccine can be found for cheaper thank 600 thb, so I wonder how Thai do ? or maybe with social security they do not have to pay ?1

If Thais go to the hospital where they are registered they pay 30THB.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, samtab said:

Why are you worrying over a little bill like that.? If a Thai has the govt card it is free or 30 baht at a govt hospital like Banglamung. Not sure how Pattaya City Hosp works for Thais. 

• Haha 1

Free for a Thai at the government hospital where they are registered and yes, it is important if bitten by a stray dog (or any dog nto known for sure to be fully vaccinated). Rabies is endemic in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, samtab said:

The bill is for an insurance claim. Requires a doctor's consultation to go through to insurance.

The hospital on Ko Samet told us that if you get a bite from a dog, cat, monkey whatever, you need to get treatment immediately, or within 24 hours. So it's probably best not to start fannying around comparing prices, tbh.

• Haha 1

I would also go to hospital if scratched by a dog. for at least antibiotic jabs.
I was scratched on the ankle by a young playful dog that I knew, no loose skin or blood.
I wiped the scratch with disinfectant and thought nothing more about it.

The next day I went to my local clinic a few hundred metres away as the scratch area was very painful.
I have allergies to many antibiotics even the ones they had that I hadn't used before.
I ended up with a very high level of infection that attacked my Achilles tendon leaving me unable to stand or walk for nearly two months.  It was a double blow as I had just got back to walking following a stroke and complications.    The area of the scratch is still sensitive to this day.
Had I gone to the clinic the same day something may have been done, even to go to hospital for a wider choice  of antibiotics.

I was bitten slightly once by a dog when living elsewhere, a dog I saw and said hello to everyday, I went straight to the hospital for the rabies jabs.   There was no infection.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 year later...

Just bumping this.

Back in mid December we acquired a puppy that somebody had dumped in the fields nearby and had wandered into our garden crying. Our other dogs are all vaccinated but we have not got around to giving him the vaccine yet ( doing it tomorrow )

This morning I was painting when he playfully bit my arm to get attention. Not aggressive but he has sharp little teeth and caused a blood flow. I immediately washed the wound with water, alcohol and hydrogen peroxide . Deciding to err on the side of safety , I went to our local hospital 2 hours later for a post exposure vaccine. I was given 2 shots, one in each arm . I have to go back in 4 weeks time then again in August for final shot.

They then sent me home. No other medication , and no fee paid.

Is this pretty normal procedure in rural Thailand ? Am I now ' good to go ' ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Are you sure,  what you got was rabies vaccine?

Did you get the sticker? 

Are you sure you understood what they told you?

You should have gotten a handout with a schedule. 

Your schedule is very unusual. If there are no recent scientific breakthroughs that I am not aware of, it's completely wrong.

There are many vaccination schedules.  

The Zagreb-schedule goes like this: 2 injections, intramuscular, on day 0 (ie today) (were your injections intramuscular, long needle, into the muscle? or just into the skin with a short needle?), one more on day 7 (ie next week), one more on day 21 (in 3 weeks).

Try to find out what they gave you,  and go to a bigger hospital asap.

You also should get RIG rabies immunoglobulin asap, expensive and only available in bigger or private hospitals. 

Edited by Lorry
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, Lorry said:

Did you get the sticker? 

Your schedule is very unusual. If there are no recent scientific breakthroughs that I am not aware of, it's completely wrong.

The Zagreb-schedule goes like this: 2 injections, intramuscular, on day 0 (ie today) (were your injections intramuscular, long needle, into the muscle? or just into the skin with a short needle?), one more on day 7 (ie next week), one more on day 21 (in 3 weeks).

You also should get RIG rabies immunoglobulin asap, expensive and only available in bigger or private hospitals. 

Wow Lorry, ( no sarcasm)I hope he follows your advice .

Hearing this makes me want to demand all dogs in my moo baan ma ( dog village)I reside in get vaccinated!

Im thinking if all the dogs have a vax it would be less likely that humans would suffer!

Edited by riclag

29 minutes ago, Lorry said:

Did you get the sticker? 

Well....I'll try to find out what exactly they gave me but they understood perfectly that it was because I was bitten by a dog and they re cleaned the wound.

I agree....I thought it unusual compared to I read about it before going to the hospital.

The needle seemed long enough to me, about 3 inches.

Thanks for advice. I don't usually use government hospitals but there are no private ones nearby and I thought speed was of the essence.

I am pretty sure this puppy doesn't have rabies but obviously , I can't be sure. I'll take your advice.

I have just translated the card they gave me and it is a tetanus jab !!!  You were right....Back to hospital now !!

• Like 1

Just now, Denim said:

The needle seemed long enough to me, about 3 inches.

That's intramuscular.

1 minute ago, Denim said:

it is a tetanus jab !!! 

I suspected this

1 minute ago, Denim said:

Back to hospital now

Yes, but I wouldn't go to the same one. 

It is very,  very substandard in Thailand not to  give rabies injection.

• Thanks 1